• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

At least he isn't thinking about MLS or the Premier League.

They are saying the Dodgers trade is all about getting Harper. Getting Harper, Seager returning and getting rid of Puig and Kemp makes the Dodgers even more lefty loaded in hitting.

Who is saying this? I dont necessarily think that was a precursor to a Harper signing.

I agree w/RJ. Dodgers are most definitely getting Harper. Still waiting on my Phillies news to break, but my "source" is about as reliable as Josh Gordon...

Saw this on reddit, philly will have a shot when he is an FA, otherwise, dont see any reason for halos to trade him unless they are giving up, and with that payroll, not expecting that.

Saw this on reddit, philly will have a shot when he is an FA, otherwise, dont see any reason for halos to trade him unless they are giving up, and with that payroll, not expecting that.

Why wouldn't they want to get some good players/prospects versus getting nothing. The sooner they make the trade the more they can expect to get.

More likely that the Angels sign Trout to an extension than they trade him. The scuttlebutt about the Angels trading Trout is generated by fans that want to see him leave Anaheim. Hard for people to accept that Trout likes playing there.

I agree with about the LH bat...and they got rid of their best RH bats.

Seems like FAs are treating the Phillies like they are offering confederate money.

I can't believe you are forgetting JA Happ!

Phils were also in on Diaz, Donaldson, and Miller, though obviously the Diaz trade was out of their control. There's a weird little throwaway line in this bit from Sherman - https://nypost.com/2018/12/26/manny-machado-bryce-harper-are-staring-at-same-money-decision/ - that indicates neither Harper and Machado want to play for Philly, although there's no source cited and it seems just made up.

That said, the Phillies could be in for a huge face plant if they keep whiffing on these guys.

Phils were also in on Diaz, Donaldson, and Miller, though obviously the Diaz trade was out of their control. There's a weird little throwaway line in this bit from Sherman - https://nypost.com/2018/12/26/manny-machado-bryce-harper-are-staring-at-same-money-decision/ - that indicates neither Harper and Machado want to play for Philly, although there's no source cited and it seems just made up.

That said, the Phillies could be in for a huge face plant if they keep whiffing on these guys.

Miller was a miss, though I think they prefer Britton. I've not seen anything, anywhere, indicating they were after Donaldson, particuarly since their primary target is Machado (to play third). I definitely think Machado and Harper prefer to play somewhere else, so the Phillies will have to pay up to get one.

I will unilaterally keep this thread alive!

Phils sign Robertson to 2 years + club.

Natties upped their offer to Harper and White Sox made a formal offer to Machado.

The stove! It's hot!

I always find it interesting to think about who is leaking information about purported offers, and why. For instance, are the reports of the increased offer by the Nats coming from Boras, or the Nats side? What is the motivation? If Boras, he could be trying to put pressure on the Nats to complete a deal, or drive up the price for other suitors. If from the Nats, you would think they are trying to up the bids from other teams (particuarly the Phillies).

Why wouldn't they want to get some good players/prospects versus getting nothing. The sooner they make the trade the more they can expect to get.

Because you don’t trade Babe Ruth. It never works out, if he walks, he walks but you have to try to keep him.

Read up on it hoss.

I am thrilled that the Phils were able to get Robertson, but if he voted against the staff getting money - he and everyone else that voted against - should be named & called out for their douchery...

About 20 some years ago we were going to get a small work bonus, but we had to vote if ancillary staff/hourly workers should share in the money. I was amazed at the mental and verbal gymnastics people used in our meeting to justify keeping a few extra hundred dollars for themselves. Maybe I was too young, but I couuldn't believe we were going to screw over people in our own organization. Fortunately, the vote passed (barely) but we had a lot of people in the room that were really pissed. How anyone in the majors making that kind of money can do that is unreal.

Last edited:
Grandal gets a one-year deal from the Brewers. That's a steal for them. Surprised he didn't hold out for a few weeks for at least 2 years.

Back