• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's kowtowing to hate leads to synagogue shootings and more

What’s weird about the “both sides !!” argument is that we are talking about pretty deplorable stuff, and one side seems comfortable owning that rhetoric as long as they are convinced that the side they are fundamentally opposed to is exactly the same as the side they completely and unequivocally support. It’s bizarre logic.

It’s also pretty smart to constantly tell your base that the other side did this, the other side is responsible for this, the other side this and that when you are out of power using your personal propaganda network. Then all your whatabouts are lined up for when you start actually engaging in the behavior you just talked down. Drain that swamp!!!

He had the goddamn audacity to say some of the victims of police violence looked like they could have been his child. #divisive

Did Obama ever expressly, or even tacitly, condone violent protests and/or riots?

He said things that tended to undermine cops, the legal system, etc. and help stoke the fires. I'm not saying he was necessarily wrong, and some of his quotes were pretty spot on, while others he'd probably like to take back (and has admitted as much). But it's a pretty big reach to compare to Trump's rhetoric.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-race-reax-20170816-story.html

This is what YOUR article has him saying about Ferguson:

"The president said:

"We're all part of one American family. We are united in common values, and that includes belief in equality under the law, basic respect for public order and the right to peaceful public protest, a reverence for the dignity of every single man, woman and child among us, and the need for accountability when it comes to our government.

"So now is the time for healing. Now is the time for peace and calm on the streets of Ferguson. Now is the time for an open and transparent process to see that justice is done."

After a St. Louis County grand jury did not indict Wilson in November 2014, Obama acknowledged the broader challenges the country still faced and called on the nation to seize the moment as an opportunity for change.

"We need to recognize that this is not just an issue for Ferguson, this is an issue for America. We have made enormous progress in race relations over the course of the past several decades. I've witnessed that in my own life. And to deny that progress I think is to deny America's capacity for change."

How is that, in any real way, "stoking the fires"? To say that's so, is a nonsensical stretch?

Anyone who reads that article and attempts to whataboutize any of those quotes to equate to Trump is a goddamn idiot

Trump has enabled violence with his supporters the same way Obama enabled citywide rioting/looting with his. Both did not/have not taken the proper steps to stop it, either.

That's...kind of my point. Republicans blamed Obama for those events the same way Libs are blaming Trump for these. Same shit, new President. Has anyones political team won yet?

SD3 shifted from "Obama and Trump have done the same thing" to "Republicans and Democrats have reacted the same way" with no actual reference to how Obama acted in any way like Trump when pushed for examples.

SD3 shifted from "Obama and Trump have done the same thing" to "Republicans and Democrats have reacted the same way" with no actual reference to how Obama acted in any way like Trump when pushed for examples.

of course not

of course not

Right. It’s what Trumpers do when confronted with evidence or pushed for examples (more than 1).

And that LA Times article only further proves how measured yet real Obama was with the American people in his responses after racial issues occurred (with the beer summit as an exception, but I honestly don’t think his original choice of words is even a big deal). His responses were by no means stoking the fires. Compare them to Trump’s words and it’s even more ridiculous to compare the two.

Appreciate the cordial reply, agree to disagree. I personally find them both at fought in some manner (to an extent). MAGABomber was arrested and will see the full extent of the law. If you think he had a thought along the way that he would be exempt from justice just because Trump is president then I find that to be laughable. Or is your point he never thought about repercussions because he just wanted to kill some Libs and make Trump happy? If so then, uhh wow.

It was not intended to be cordial but instead was intended to be condescending. You should already be aware that your initial argument was making a false equivalency between Trump actually calling for violence against his political opponents and Obama being blamed by Pubs for starting riots that he never called for.

As to your response, what the fuck kind of non sequitur, irrelevant response is this? Has nothing to do with you original assertions.

Last edited:
This isn't hard. No previous POTUS - certainly not in the last century or so - has come remotely close to being as vulgar, crass, and offensive as Trump has been. For every verbal faux pas Obama or Dubya or Clinton or Bush I or Reagan or Carter or Ford, etc. has made, you can literally find hundreds of Trump comments that are hostile, offensive to individuals and whole groups of people, threatening, bullying, and all the rest. Even Nixon and LBJ never went nearly as far as Trump in public to denigrate others. To try and argue that Obama has stirred up race hatred in this country and bosides it to Trump is beyond absurd, and totally inaccurate. If the GOP really believed in all that "party of personal responsibility" PR rhetoric they spew, they'd own Trump's statements and stand by them, and brag about how proud and supportive they are of them (because, privately, they are). Instead, we get constant whataboutism, which in this instance is wildly off base. To try and argue that Trump hasn't vastly escalated the partisan rhetoric and divide in this country, or that there hasn't been a major rise in hate speech and crimes since 2016, or that the Democrats have anyone nearly as prominent on their side who has also, almost daily, engaged in this kind of rhetoric, is simply a denial of reality, imo.

Last edited:
Listed below is an article posted in the opinion section of the Fox News website just today. Entitled "Will America survive the growing insider threat in our homeland today?" it's a perfect example of what many posters here are talking about.

There's no mention in the article of the fact that three mass shootings in the past week were all done by far-right white supremacists, but instead there's a lot of dark conspiratorial talk about "the threat of insider attacks in Afghanistan has always been a reality, but never before has it been so close to disrupting U.S. vital interests in such a catastrophic way. The same can happen here in America...every day that we have a surreptitious resistance that could lead to potential violence on the home front threatens our national interests...in domestic politics, we have a resistance that is often peaceful, but sometimes violent, with the stated purpose of removing the duly elected president of the United States from office...The question is: Will America survive the growing insider threat in our homeland today?" Again, no mention of the three mass shootings over the past week. I'm sure that a right-wing nutcase who reads or hears stuff like that would never be inspired to take matters into his own hands.

Link to article: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/will-america-survive-the-growing-insider-threat-in-our-homeland-today

It makes me sad to read those quotes from Obama because of the contrast to Trump, not the similarities.

The more people try to compare Obama and Trump, the more obvious it becomes that people really didn’t like having a black president

Back