• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump's kowtowing to hate leads to synagogue shootings and more

This is what YOUR article has him saying about Ferguson:

"The president said:

"We're all part of one American family. We are united in common values, and that includes belief in equality under the law, basic respect for public order and the right to peaceful public protest, a reverence for the dignity of every single man, woman and child among us, and the need for accountability when it comes to our government.

"So now is the time for healing. Now is the time for peace and calm on the streets of Ferguson. Now is the time for an open and transparent process to see that justice is done."

After a St. Louis County grand jury did not indict Wilson in November 2014, Obama acknowledged the broader challenges the country still faced and called on the nation to seize the moment as an opportunity for change.

"We need to recognize that this is not just an issue for Ferguson, this is an issue for America. We have made enormous progress in race relations over the course of the past several decades. I've witnessed that in my own life. And to deny that progress I think is to deny America's capacity for change."

How is that, in any real way, "stoking the fires"? To say that's so, is a nonsensical stretch?

I was referring primarily to the below from the article (which you conveniently omitted), and I specifically said that it's a big reach to compare to Trump's rhetoric. As a conservative, turned moderate who is voting mostly democrat, the way you and others attack anything not 100% outraged and anti-Trump (note, I am far from pro-Trump) is pretty absurd.

"Obama offended police in Cambridge, Mass., when he described them as acting "stupidly" when they arrested Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., who is black, on a charge of disorderly conduct at his home after a suspected break-in. Afterward, Obama convened a "beer summit" between the professor and the responding officer, Sgt. James Crowley, who is white. Gates accused the policeman of racial profiling, but Crowley's superiors supported him and said he had acted appropriately. Obama acknowledged that his choice of words was poor."

"To the extent that my choice of words didn't illuminate, but rather contributed to more media frenzy, I think that was unfortunate...."

yeah. Obama said we need to come together and heal. Trump literally said he should up the rhetoric because the media has been unfair to him.

It’s also one of a handful of times Obama misspoke (debatebale) and he even apologized for it. Trump has literally never apologized for anything he has said.

Tiger, people are “outraged” that comparisons have been made between Obama and Trump’s rhetoric. There’s a difference between that and what you just said (being outraged at people who aren’t 100% anti-Trump). Because the comparisons are garbage and people being honest know this.

I was referring primarily to the below from the article (which you conveniently omitted), and I specifically said that it's a big reach to compare to Trump's rhetoric. As a conservative, turned moderate who is voting mostly democrat, the way you and others attack anything not 100% outraged and anti-Trump (note, I am far from pro-Trump) is pretty absurd.

"Obama offended police in Cambridge, Mass., when he described them as acting "stupidly" when they arrested Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., who is black, on a charge of disorderly conduct at his home after a suspected break-in. Afterward, Obama convened a "beer summit" between the professor and the responding officer, Sgt. James Crowley, who is white. Gates accused the policeman of racial profiling, but Crowley's superiors supported him and said he had acted appropriately. Obama acknowledged that his choice of words was poor."

"To the extent that my choice of words didn't illuminate, but rather contributed to more media frenzy, I think that was unfortunate...."

You just proved a HUGE difference. Not only did Obama apologize but he brought the groups together to work out their differences. Trump not only doesn't apologize he doubles down .

You can't honestly compare the two people. Even your attempt at saying "it's a big reach" is providing a kind of backhanded equivalence.

What part of my "outrage" with Trump is "pretty absurd". Show specifics and why it's absurd. Otherwise don't post such things.

At first reading I took your response as another attempt to equate Obama and Trump as well. It's admittedly a bit knee jerky of me, but we've got SD3 on this thread making false equivalencies left and right.

Just the facts of this episode highlight the differences between the last two presidents. Obama first stated that the officer "acted stupidly" not that he was stupid (or as Trump might say "low IQ") then opened a dialog, expressed contrition and admitted fault (admittedly it was weakly worded). Trump would have blamed the enemy of the people for fake news, made fun of the professor for being a Harvard elite nerd, hinted that he only got the job was due to affirmative action, and then presided over a chat of "lock him up" at a rally in southern Indiana.

No

People aren’t attacking your post because it’s not 100% anti Trump.

People are attacking your post because trying to equate what Trump says to what Obama said is a false comparison, it’s disingenuous and the scale by which their comments can be considered inflammatory is wholly incomparable.

It is a terrible argument and terrible arguments get shredded here all the time. It just so happens that our illustrious conservative posters are serving up heaps of terrible arguments lately so it seems like an echo chamber. Post a good argument instead.

I still think it's stupid to arrest a man for being in his home. It's also stupid to shoot and kill a man for being in his home, regardless of what Ted Cruz and other Republicans think.

I still think it's stupid to arrest a man in his home. It's also stupid to shoot and kill a man in his home, regardless of what Ted Cruz and other Republicans think.

INFLAMMATORY ! BOTH SIDES !

My initial post was really playing devil's advocate as a follow-up to another poster's claim for the sake of discussion. I do believe some of the things Obama said, and the timing in which he said them (before due process may have been allowed to run it's course) may have made the rioters/protesters feel "validated", and also further created division by pissing off the "rubes".

However, on multiple occasions, Obama strongly condemned any and all violence related to the incidents. The rhetoric of the two presidents, overall, is comically incomparable. And a lot of Trump's should be deeply concerning for any rational person.

"Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
I still think it's stupid to arrest a man in his home. It's also stupid to shoot and kill a man in his home, regardless of what Ted Cruz and other Republicans think."

INFLAMMATORY ! BOTH SIDES !

My initial post was really playing devil's advocate as a follow-up to another poster's claim for the sake of discussion. I do believe some of the things Obama said, and the timing in which he said them (before due process may have been allowed to run it's course) may have made the rioters/protesters feel "validated", and also further created division by pissing off the "rubes".

However, on multiple occasions, Obama strongly condemned any and all violence related to the incidents. The rhetoric of the two presidents, overall, is comically incomparable. And a lot of Trump's should be deeply concerning for any rational person.

Good post.

That people can listen to Obama in response to crisis and get pissed really tells me so much more about them than him. Say what you want about his leadership on policy, but the guy was an exceptional empathetic communicator.

Active shooter at Pittsburgh area synagogue

Good post.

That people can listen to Obama in response to crisis and get pissed really tells me so much more about them than him. Say what you want about his leadership on policy, but the guy was an exceptional empathetic communicator.

I think some people just hear a black person speak and don’t hear what he’s actually saying. They just hear “RACIST!!! ARGH!!! YOU’RE A RACIST!!!!!”

Eight years of listening to Obama and seeing other people treat him with respect just broke them.

What were the protesters protesting? Cops mistakenky killing folks? What did Obama say that validated that? The truth? No shit they feel validated.

So rubes get pissed off by people telling them inconvenient truths instead of lying to their faces like Trump? Sounds like the basket of deplorables.

Yeah. Equating the Ferguson protests or BLM with Charlottesville, Pittsburgh shooter and the bomber is ugly politics.

Look at the title of the thread in which you’re playing devil’s advocate. Probably not the best place to play devil’s advocate. Even if your comparison wasn’t dumb as shit.

Look at the title of the thread in which you’re playing devil’s advocate. Probably not the best place to play devil’s advocate. Even if your comparison wasn’t dumb as shit.

It took one post for someone (RJ, shocking!) to blame Trump for a tragedy perpetrated by what really was just a complete anti-semitic (and anti-Trump) nutjob. The thread was off the rails from the start. I appreciate your condescending advice though.

Back