• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football OL and DL

What do you think the long-term plan is for Williams? He's got tackle size, do you think he'll be playing defensive tackle next year with the loss of Willie and Zeek and the lack of depth we'll have at that position?

Pretty sure he'll be a tackle next year. That's where he'll be most needed.
But it's nice to know he can play DE as well.

I agree with Dekin, he'll probably move back to tackle in the spring. But I'd add that the next 4 games will probably be a barometer for him, i.e. if he shows he can do more in his time at DE, he could stay there.

But the point is certainly valid that with Zeek and Willie leaving, DT will be extremely thin next season. That's where losing Kelijiha Brown hurts. Suliaman Kamara, Dion Bergan and Williams will be the only returning scholarship DTs, unless LaRonde' Liverpool has a miraculously quick recovery. The other DTs are r-Fr. Adam Winter (6-3, 260) and Fr. Tyric Swennie (6-0, 245).

DT would be a good position for a graduate transfer next season. If there’s room and if there’s a good one available.

Yeah, the Oline played well, the Dline played better, but still didn’t put a lot of pressure on the L’ville QB. Dungey and Finley will eat us up with that kind of time.

50/50. Finley did not but Dungey did. One identifiable difference in the two games is the slower TEMPO against Finley and State. But I’ve seen the DL improving as the season has gone on especially with the increasing play of Mike Allen.

50/50. Finley did not but Dungey did. One identifiable difference in the two games is the slower TEMPO against Finley and State. But I’ve seen the DL improving as the season has gone on especially with the increasing play of Mike Allen.

The defensive line played great against State, especially against the run. Allen finally getting in this season and showing something and Bothroyd getting experience this year while still being able to redshirt should set us up very nicely at DE next year and should definitely mean Tyler Williams plays DT next where we aren’t deep. Still need to get more pressure on the QB, but the improvement we’ve from the defense so far should make us feel pretty good about the coaching on that side of the ball. Pitt and Duke will be big challenges form our defense though.

Linemen rarely get fully focused camera time but when they do it is because someone is consistently getting at it. But being overlooked can happen even to QBs at WF. Watching and listening to Thursday’s game in Raleigh on TV revealed LOWF in full swing with the announcers. Before kickoff one announcer made special reference to not having any network research on Jamie Newman other than talking to a reporter from Newman’s high school days (presumably Connor O’Neil). Newman added to the reseach Thursday night and got some face time for it. Now it’s time our lineman earned some face time.

Our vaunted OL did ok today with pass blocking but did not open any holds for Cade. Maybe it is time to rethink the catch and shove technique.

I believe why we went for that 1st FG on 4th and very short yards, is that Clawson has no confidence the RPO works with our guys when you will face a stacked defensive line. Similar to Lobo under Grobe, on short yd down situations our delayed hand-off most often lost yards.

Then put the qb over center and the TB in the I formation. Surprised Jamie didnt run a keeper either time. The second FG was very poor decision

Our vaunted OL did ok today with pass blocking but did not open any holds for Cade. Maybe it is time to rethink the catch and shove technique.

We had a few drives where we ran the ball fine. What I don't understand is why Newman ran so infrequently - or really not at all. Really weird that they run way less QB draws with the 240lb guys vs the 175lb guy. Perhaps Hinton couldn't go today, and they were scared to get Newman hurt? Also, we REALLY need a non read option running play to run on 3rd or 4th and short. Just slam Carney into the line as fast as possible as opposed to dilly dallying in the backfield for 5 seconds.

We had a few drives where we ran the ball fine. What I don't understand is why Newman ran so infrequently - or really not at all. Really weird that they run way less QB draws with the 240lb guys vs the 175lb guy. Perhaps Hinton couldn't go today, and they were scared to get Newman hurt? Also, we REALLY need a non read option running play to run on 3rd or 4th and short. Just slam Carney into the line as fast as possible as opposed to dilly dallying in the backfield for 5 seconds.

Quick hitter as described here can be run to look like RPO. Just plan to hand off to running back in presnap read and then do it quickly. Don't have QB and RB hold mesh point any longer than necessary for ball exchange.

Back