• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football OL and DL

DeacAssured

Reaction score
Both lines really have played well the past two games given the stout opposition at FSU and the opposition at UL. The OL holes opened for Colburn looked like a Nebraska OL from yesteryear. And our DL against UL consistently put pressure on the QB.

Anyone with better eyes see similar improvement? It appears both OL and QB are on the same page now. DL seems to be playing at a higher skill level which may be helping out the DBs.

The only pressure a saw the U of L quarterback have was the pressure applied by his own coach. OLine did open some holes, though!

Yeah, the QB Pass had all day to throw unless we blitzed. Tyler Williams did beat his man and get to the QB a couple of times I saw. OL played great.

Yeah, the Oline played well, the Dline played better, but still didn’t put a lot of pressure on the L’ville QB. Dungey and Finley will eat us up with that kind of time.

Focus of late has been on the improved play of Hartman at Louisville and belief this trend continues against Cuse but without the OL playing even better against Cuse, Hartman will look like same guy who played BC and Clemson.

Focus of late has been on the improved play of Hartman at Louisville and belief this trend continues against Cuse but without the OL playing even better against Cuse, Hartman will look like same guy who played BC and Clemson.

What concerns me about Cuse is they like to bring more and varied pressure than it seemed Louisville did. Our OL, TE and RB's have to be able to pick those blitzes up. If we do, than there should be opportunities to make some plays against there defense, but Hartman has to be given a chance to get the ball out.

Both lines really have played well the past two games given the stout opposition at FSU and the opposition at UL. The OL holes opened for Colburn looked like a Nebraska OL from yesteryear. And our DL against UL consistently put pressure on the QB.

Anyone with better eyes see similar improvement? It appears both OL and QB are on the same page now. DL seems to be playing at a higher skill level which may be helping out the DBs.

I believe Clawson said that the F$U game was the worst the OL played all year.

I believe Clawson said that the F$U game was the worst the OL played all year.

He did indeed and he gets last word most of time. But from my chair I thought they we’re working harder but just coming up short against a team that took advantage of our letdown after we went up on them by 10.

Deacons never seem to learn that a first quarter 28 point lead is never enough against quality opponents. Admittedly Deacs have rarely had such an experience from which to learn.

Yeah, the QB Pass had all day to throw unless we blitzed. Tyler Williams did beat his man and get to the QB a couple of times I saw. OL played great.

I thought Tyler Willianms looked great as a pass rusher. Any word on Basham?

I think Conor tweeted that Basham is doubtful.

I think Conor tweeted that Basham is doubtful.

That would stink if he can't go. Freshman Bothroyd played last week, so expect to see him again Saturday, although I'd expect him to be held out of one of our remaining games if possible to preserve his redshirt. Maybe this is the week we finally see Mike Allen take the field.

I just pray, so to speak, that after the Deacs go up on them by about 10 or 14 points that the linemen and the rest of the team will respond with an instinct to squash a bug, especially when they're reminded by Seniors that a 14 point lead means zilch. And vice versa!

That would stink if he can't go. Freshman Bothroyd played last week, so expect to see him again Saturday, although I'd expect him to be held out of one of our remaining games if possible to preserve his redshirt. Maybe this is the week we finally see Mike Allen take the field.

Oh, indeed. Clawson even let slip Tuesday that Boogie was "in the protocol" -- pretty sure that's the firmest he'll get on concussions. Direct quote about Boogie was "probably doubtful."

So without Boogie, I'd expect Tyler Williams and Bothroyd to play a bunch, and then Willie Yarbary will play some end also when he rotates out of tackle. Clawson said on the radio show that Mike Allen has "had a couple of good weeks of practice," so it's basically becoming routine to hear that this *might* be the week he plays.

If there was ever a time for Mike Allen to have a great debut game, tomorrow is it.

Oh, indeed. Clawson even let slip Tuesday that Boogie was "in the protocol" -- pretty sure that's the firmest he'll get on concussions. Direct quote about Boogie was "probably doubtful."

So without Boogie, I'd expect Tyler Williams and Bothroyd to play a bunch, and then Willie Yarbary will play some end also when he rotates out of tackle. Clawson said on the radio show that Mike Allen has "had a couple of good weeks of practice," so it's basically becoming routine to hear that this *might* be the week he plays.

What do you think the long-term plan is for Williams? He's got tackle size, do you think he'll be playing defensive tackle next year with the loss of Willie and Zeek and the lack of depth we'll have at that position?

Back