• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things I have heard

Yep. And no way that Ryan Odom turns us down. I am not sure who some of you guys want.

I like Ryan Odom, but he walked into a good situation at UMBC when, their best player, Jarius Lyles transferred to UMBC from VCU under the previous UMBC coach; he was a level above every player in the America East. Don't like the UMBC roster this year without Lyles and their two other senior starters. UMBC may struggle big time in 2018-9. Manning took a team to the NCAAs too in a far more competitive conference.

If Odom can win 20 games again with this roster, Ryan Odom will become more attractive, but won't be nearly as attractive if UMBC goes 13-17 this year with all of his recruits. Agree that it would be time to look in another direction after the season if WF sucks again, but those here that act like Ryan Odom or Wes Miller will be an automatic upgrade may be disappointed. There a lot of coaches that can win in crappy conferences, but look completely lost in the ACC.

Last edited:
I like Ryan Odom, but he walked into a good situation at UMBC when, their best player, Jarius Lyles transferred to UMBC from VCU under the previous UMBC coach; he was a level above every player in the America East. Don't like the UMBC roster this year without Lyles and their two other senior starters. UMBC may struggle big time in 2018-9. Manning took a team to the NCAAs too in a far more competitive conference.

If Odom can win 20 games again with this roster, Ryan Odom will become more attractive, but won't be nearly as attractive if UMBC goes 13-17 this year with all of his recruits. Agree that it would be time to look in another direction after the season if WF sucks again, but those here that act like Ryan Odom or Wes Miller will be an automatic upgrade may be disappointed. There a lot of coaches that can win in crappy conferences, but look completely lost in the ACC.

Ryan Odom had never finished higher than 4th until last season when he finished 2nd. There is zero guarantee that Odom or Miller would be attractive to recruits. I'm not even saying they aren't good coaches. But it's not like this is a shoo-in.

Last edited:
If Manning has coached that UMBC team against UVA they would have lost by 30.

If Manning has coached that UMBC team against UVA they would have lost by 30.

This. Give me a team that looks and plays like a basketball team. A team that plays defense with passion. A team that toughens up and the end of a game.

the Un-Manning team.

So much wrong with this post. Glad Manning is a good guy. There are a lot of those that can't coach either.

Not needing the money is not a positive. We need a coach hungry to make a name, not somebody who needs a hobby and does not want to be a greeter at Walmart.

LOL at disparaging Keatts. That is who Wake should have hired. He is hungry and knows how to coach. You better hope he is dirty since he will be kicking our ass for the foreseeable future.

We all know that Manning is not going anywhere before the season is over (or maybe ever), but that does not mean it should not have been the case. How many years in a row do you want to see Manning screw up a game plan and play ridiculous lineups.

Wake basketball is in a big hole. It needs to stop digging.

I don't think you get it - or I simply don't get you. No worries. Just a message board.

This. Give me a team that looks and plays like a basketball team. A team that plays defense with passion. A team that toughens up and the end of a game.

the Un-Manning team.

Lot of people on here talk like they are pining for the good old days in the Southern conference. I think Wake should set its sights higher than winning the MEAC and pulling off one upset in the NCAAT.

Yeah, I posted something similar and more succinct on another thread.

Odom will have a much tougher coaching job this season... I’m glad we’ll have another year to assess his abilities from afar.

Would have been too early to hand him the keys after last season.

Lot of people on here talk like they are pining for the good old days in the Southern conference. I think Wake should set its sights higher than winning the MEAC and pulling off one upset in the NCAAT.
This is my favorite RChill post topic, wherein he argues that he has the highest standard for success...much higher than those of us who "illogically" want Manning gone for not succeeding enough.

Says the guy who has indefatigably defended the incompetent for the last couple of years.

You've outed yourself as just not being very bright. Congratulations.

Says the guy who has indefatigably defended the incompetent for the last couple of years.

I’ll own defending a guy in the midst of an NCAAT season three years after taking over for the worst coach in ACC history. You won’t find a single post of mine defending Manning’s performance last season.

This is my favorite RChill post topic, wherein he argues that he has the highest standard for success...much higher than those of us who "illogically" want Manning gone for not succeeding enough.

And my favorite response, wherein you address neither argument.

My standards are higher than most. They are also consistent. I just happen to recognize that they can’t be reached overnight, that the best way to get there isn’t to keep giving an incompetent old man very expensive lottery tickets, and that it’s possible for a coach to move a program forward even if he’s not cut out to ultimately be the guy.

As I’ve said for the last year, there are logical reasons for wanting Wellman and Manning gone, you just haven’t voiced any of them.

It always matters, but athleticism is much more important in other parts of the game than rebounding. I would put every cent I will earn my entire life on the hypothetical scenario that I’d be able to get a rebound from Grayson Allen before I ever blew past him driving to the basket.

I picked the first SF/SG I could think of that I hated.

Well yeah, because he would trip you.

Agreed. What the Hell is ya'lls problem. This only year 9 of the tear down and rebuild. Sure, most all of the players bailed last year and we are currently recruiting 2 star players and a coach can't really be expected to know how many time outs he has.

Oh, and there ain't no caravan. Caravans have camels. I don't see no frickin camels.

Well then explain please the mode of transportation that the Middle Easterners are using.

Back