• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ernie Nestor

Ernie is the back-up plan for interim HC when this team continues its nosedive to a 2-13 start and 0-5 to start ACC as Ronnie realizes this is a true possibility and even he knows he can't keep DM on if team continues implosion while DM is signing on top 500 BB players.

Do people really think Wellman is going to fire Manning mid-season? That would be completely out of character for him.

Future interim HC was my first reaction to the hire. Not sure what special assistant coach can do, but I hope he can help DM with his in-game management skills - we are awful at making adjustments and utilizing timeouts.

Nestor was not brought in as a potential interim HC hire.

While Clawson fired his DC in-season, that decision was Clawson acting on his own having built up the cred to allow him to act as he pleases.

WF is not going to fire DM during the season for crappy performance. WF could be 1-11 heading into ACC play, and DM will coach through the rest of the season.

Future interim HC was my first reaction to the hire. Not sure what special assistant coach can do, but I hope he can help DM with his in-game management skills - we are awful at making adjustments and utilizing timeouts.

He can't coach from the bench, he can't coach players in practice and he can't recruit. He's basically a consultant for Manning.

Last edited:
Nestor was not brought in as a potential interim HC hire.

While Clawson fired his DC in-season, that decision was Clawson acting on his own having built up the cred to allow him to act as he pleases.

WF is not going to fire DM during the season for crappy performance. WF could be 1-11 heading into ACC play, and DM will coach through the rest of the season.

Don't take away the sliver of hope I have for this basketball season.

I am going with hired as "future interim coach" to clean up the disaster of a program. Manning gets 6 games to see if the ship is righted.

Finally Wellman grows a pair.

*I am living in my own fantasy world over here. Don't burst my bubble*

If Nestor can’t fix the last 5 minutes of game time, there’s no point in the hire.

Don't take away the sliver of hope I have for this basketball season.

I am going with hired as "future interim coach" to clean up the disaster of a program. Manning gets 6 games to see if the ship is righted.

Finally Wellman grows a pair.

*I am living in my own fantasy world over here. Don't burst my bubble*

I'm joining knowell in his world. Much happier place to be....

What are the odds that Nestor is made interim HC sometime before the ACC tournament this year?

25%?

Nestor is basically going to be Manning's "coach". He is going to coach the coach because the coach doesn't know how to coach.

Sure, but really, Nestor isn't taking over for Manning unless Manning dies or is physically incapacitated. Even if that happens,there's no guarantee he'd slide onto the bench ahead of the other assistants.

The guy was retired. I don't think he's looking to take on any more 84 hour work weeks.

Last edited:
Why would Nestor be interim coach over Childress or Woodberry?

The speculation on this matter is amazing. I actually give Manning alot of credit for engaging Nestor. Shows good leadership and a well managed ego.

Back