• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ernie Nestor

The speculation on this matter is amazing. I actually give Manning alot of credit for engaging Nestor. Shows good leadership and a well managed ego.

I'm waiting for BudatWake to opine. I suspect he known Nestor since the Tacy days and has a good feel this development.

Why would Nestor be interim coach over Childress or Woodberry?

Would be setting Childress up for complete failure. Can't imagine Ron (or Childress) would want that. Woodberry maybe. Nestor makes more sense since he has HC experience.

My original question was largely just being a dick, it is extrodinarily unlikely that Manning doesn't finish out the season. But if the absolute worst case scenario happens and we start dropping multiple games to our cupcake opponents Wellman's hand may be forced.

I could potentially foresee a scenario where Manning is let go after the regular season ends but prior to the ACC tournament.

Would be setting Childress up for complete failure. Can't imagine Ron (or Childress) would want that. Woodberry maybe. Nestor makes more sense since he has HC experience.

My original question was largely just being a dick, it is extrodinarily unlikely that Manning doesn't finish out the season. But if the absolute worst case scenario happens and we start dropping multiple games to our cupcake opponents Wellman's hand may be forced.

I could potentially foresee a scenario where Manning is let go after the regular season ends but prior to the ACC tournament.

It's too late for Childress. He is a part of this staff. If Manning gets fired, he gets fired too. Coaching a couple of games with an interim tag isn't going to make any difference in Chilldress's profile as an assistant coach who got fired along with the head coach. AND, what if he wins a couple of games ?

I am really excited that Ernie Nestor is going to fix everything in our BBall program after (almost*) 8 years of (almost*) completely suckitude by talking to the coach after practices and during half times. Should have hired this guy in 2010. Better late than never!

*see NCAA "tournament appearance" in 2017, settle down RC107

The speculation on this matter is amazing. I actually give Manning alot of credit for engaging Nestor. Shows good leadership and a well managed ego.

1) This is a message board
2) This is a speculation-worthy development
3) How do you know DM wasn’t just told he had to hire him?

Unless Wake somehow stumbles to a 3-15 start, they aren't firing Manning in the middle of the year.

Sure, but really, Nestor isn't taking over for Manning unless Manning dies or is physically incapacitated. Even if that happens,there's no guarantee he'd slide onto the bench ahead of the other assistants.

Manning has the personality of a dish rag. If the rest of his body followed his personality, he would be comatose and we would need a coach. hence Nestor

If we drop multiple games to the cupcakes on our schedule and Wellman isn’t immediately shown the door along with Manning then we all better buckle in for at least another four years.

I am really excited that Ernie Nestor is going to fix everything in our BBall program after (almost*) 8 years of varying suckitude by talking to the coach after practices and during half times. Should have hired this guy in 2010. Better late than never!

*see NCAA tournament appearance in 2017, settle down RC107

So close. I applaud the effort.

I’m beginning to think you aren’t a true believer in Manning’s mediocrity. If the burden of tempering the board’s hysteria and revisionist history is too great, just say the word.

What does it matter? Not good enough is not good enough.

Ernie is going to change the culture back to the good ole days of the 90s.

That's why we use things like ACC records as a comparison between coaches

Back