• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman out for the rest of the regular season

It’s going to be interesting to see who starts on Thursday. Newman was supposed to be really close to Hartman in terms of readiness at the beginning of the season. We have not seen it though this year. Hinton hasn’t played much either. I hope we find out who will be starting soon. Either case this is going to be a tough ask.

If it is not Hinton, wake is not going bowling.

Aws long as we have 280 and 290 lb. linemen trying to block bigger people, this is the new normal. Was a little disappointed in the Journal article by Clawson highlighting Hartman's turnovers vs. the Syracuse qb. citing the experience factor. Hell, when your qb is being sacked and run out of the pocket, what do you expect?

If it is not Hinton, wake is not going bowling.

Wake is not going bowling. We barely have enough bodies for a practice. Time to spend the off-season hiring a new defensive coordinator, figure out just how in the hell our senior-laden OL could be so fucking weak and try go get people healthy. There is a ton of work to be done to get this program back to 8+ wins in a season. I have faith Clawson will do it. He knows the problems all too well.

Aws long as we have 280 and 290 lb. linemen trying to block bigger people, this is the new normal. Was a little disappointed in the Journal article by Clawson highlighting Hartman's turnovers vs. the Syracuse qb. citing the experience factor. Hell, when your qb is being sacked and run out of the pocket, what do you expect?

Absolutely. Our defense has caught deserved hell this year. But, our OL deserves the same scrutiny. It is horrible for such a "seasoned" squad.

Absolutely. Our defense has caught deserved hell this year. But, our OL deserves the same scrutiny. It is horrible for such a "seasoned" squad.

This is the first regular season in the history of Wake football that the team has scored 50+ points in 3 games.

For most of this year the problem has been the D. Yesterday it was turnovers.

QB decisions in the RPO can make the line look good or bad.

Newman warmed up as the #2 yesterday, so I would assume it will be him. Sucks for Sam though. Hinton really screwed up this season I think. Sam might could’ve redshirted and and we could’ve had maybe had another win or 2. I’m not saying it’s probable, but with Hinton’s ability to make big plays with his feet, it might would’ve made the difference against BC or even yesterday. Of course Hinton wouldn’t have made it through the season healthy anyway, so unless Newman would’ve played in those spots I guess Sam would’ve played anyway, but maybe only 4 games.

This is a shame, although I doubt we'd have made a bowl even if he was at 100% the last 3 games. Too many holes on D and inconsistent play from the OLine. In general one of the unhealthiest years for a team I can think of.

Not sure why some people are down on Hartman. He was on his way to statistically being the best Freshman QB in Wake Forest history, still will be a close 2nd. Most football analysts would agree he is the future of this program, and I think he will be a top 3 ACC QB by his Sr. year if he can stay healthy the next few years. OLine was a disappointment this year, and Wake needs to give the QBs better protection. The skill positions seem to be clicking for Wake's offense the last 2 years, now the OLine needs to step up and be consistent every year. Hopefully Dortch comes back 1 more year, because next year Wake should be better.

I think some people just always want to believe that the QB sitting on the bench is the guy who should have been playing.

This is a shame, although I doubt we'd have made a bowl even if he was at 100% the last 3 games. Too many holes on D and inconsistent play from the OLine. In general one of the unhealthiest years for a team I can think of.

Not sure why some people are down on Hartman. He was on his way to statistically being the best Freshman QB in Wake Forest history, still will be a close 2nd. Most football analysts would agree he is the future of this program, and I think he will be a top 3 ACC QB by his Sr. year if he can stay healthy the next few years. OLine was a disappointment this year, and Wake needs to give the QBs better protection. The skill positions seem to be clicking for Wake's offense the last 2 years, now the OLine needs to step up and be consistent every year. Hopefully Dortch comes back 1 more year, because next year Wake should be better.

I’m not down on Hartman at all, he’s done a great job. Honestly though he should’ve been holding a clipboard and running the scout team this year. Not sure many people realize how much it is to ask a true freshman to play QB in major college football. The jump from high school to playing in a power 5 conference is unreal and yet we seem to keep having to ask a true freshman to do it. Tanner Price to John Wolford to Sam Hartman. Somewhere along the line we need to start developing other QB’s that have been in the program, so we don’t have to throw true freshman out there. I know with Hinton’s suspension and Newman being injuried in the preseason kind of forced Hartman in there, but still we need to get away from having to play true freshman QB’s.

I think some people just always want to believe that the QB sitting on the bench is the guy who should have been playing.

No the problem is not having a guy on the bench that is not better than a true freshman. We didn’t have a better option when Tanner Price was a true freshman or when John Wolford was a true freshman and now the same with Hartman.

No the problem is not having a guy on the bench that is not better than a true freshman. We didn’t have a better option when Tanner Price was a true freshman or when John Wolford was a true freshman and now the same with Hartman.

Remove a “not” from my first sentence, either one, your choice.;)

We had a QB and he shit the bed. That's on him, not the coaches.

We had a QB and he shit the bed. That's on him, not the coaches.

I don’t know, if Hinton was really that good then the coaches should’ve played Sam the first 3 games and then brought back Hinton. That’s not what happened, so either Hinton isn’t that good or the coaches screwed up.

Isn’t the question a matter of who fit our personnel better? Sam is going to be great, but he got hit so hard, so often and he’s nowhere near the caliber runner to create at the level to avoid taking so many hits. I’m no expert, but it’s hard for me to grasp how a 50/50 QB2 battle resulted in Hartman becoming our every down starter at QB.

I couldn’t watch the game this weekend, but this injury at this point in the season just sucks.

Look at the teams we scored 50 points against, not one is worth a dam. How the heck do you have a 6'7" tackle that weighs 295 (gained 20 whole lbs. in 4 years) protecting your qb? He was completely pan caked, hat run over and gave up a sack. We have exactly 2 ol over 300(barely). Look at BC, FSU, Syracuse, Clemson, ND and their size. These are the teams we have to compete with, not the non-conf. wimps we scored a bunch of points against. The kool aid about how our ol was supposed to be better just because they have been here was just that. Even more alarming is looking at our young ol, (with 1 exception) being in the 280 to 290 range. By the way, you could also make the argument that our undersized dl has a hard time against the other teams ol. Look at the rosters of every team we have played and you'll see how much size we are giving away. Somehow we make every qb we play look like an all American(and it's not all the db's. Until (if ever) we get to where we are not manhandled upfront it won't matter who plays the skilled positions and this year will be normal. So much for my rant.

No question the guy who was beaten out in the pre-season by a true freshman and/or the guy who wasn't interested enough in the team to take care of business would have gotten us more wins this season.

Look at the teams we scored 50 points against, not one is worth a dam. How the heck do you have a 6'7" tackle that weighs 295 (gained 20 whole lbs. in 4 years) protecting your qb? He was completely pan caked, hat run over and gave up a sack. We have exactly 2 ol over 300(barely). Look at BC, FSU, Syracuse, Clemson, ND and their size. These are the teams we have to compete with, not the non-conf. wimps we scored a bunch of points against. The kool aid about how our ol was supposed to be better just because they have been here was just that. Even more alarming is looking at our young ol, (with 1 exception) being in the 280 to 290 range. By the way, you could also make the argument that our undersized dl has a hard time against the other teams ol. Look at the rosters of every team we have played and you'll see how much size we are giving away. Somehow we make every qb we play look like an all American(and it's not all the db's. Until (if ever) we get to where we are not manhandled upfront it won't matter who plays the skilled positions and this year will be normal. So much for my rant.

Our offense is ranked around 30 in the country. Our defense is ranked about 120. The offense is not the issue here.

Our offense is ranked around 30 in the country. Our defense is ranked about 120. The offense is not the issue here.

One is not exclusive of the other, just because defense has typically been the bigger issue this year, doesn’t mean the offense hasn’t been an issue. The inconsistency on offense has been an issue, especially yesterday and against FSU. Games like against Notre Dame and Clemson can be excused, but our offense should’ve put up more points on FSU and Cuse. In fact the offense let us down more than the defense yesterday. The defense did a pretty decent job considering injuries and how many Cuse has been averaging. If it weren’t for the 10 yard field we gave Cuse after Sam’s lost the ball trying to throw a pass yesterday, we likely hold them in the 30’s and that is about as good as anyone could’ve imagined.

This.

Back