• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman out for the rest of the regular season

Really sorry to hear this. Hope he heals well.

I hoped we might, but didn’t think we were, going bowling just looking at our last 3 games—even with Hartman healthy. Oh well. Hopefully we still show up fighting to win, give every effort, learn from the experiences, etc.

Obviously Clawson feels there is a big difference in the 3 QB's with Hartman being our best chance. Seems to me that Newman has been hurt pretty regularly since fall camp and Hinton has had some as well. (which has been his history in his career). Clawson greatly value dependability and toughness and Hartman has been beaten up like a rented mule this season but has hung in until now.

Who was beaten out? Hartman was QB3 before Newman got hurt, Hinton got suspended, and Hartman won the position by default. That’s the narrative I remember at least.
Newman's injury in the preseason was considered day-to-day. It wasn't serious at all and has been really overplayed on these boards. Hartman was gonna beat out Newman with or without that little injury. Hinton pre-suspension is another story.

Newman's injury in the preseason was considered day-to-day. It wasn't serious at all and has been really overplayed on these boards. Hartman was gonna beat out Newman with or without that little injury. Hinton pre-suspension is another story.

This is not what was publicly presented with respect to the Newman/Hartman competition. Why would Clawson make this the public scenario if reality was different?

To me it would have been much stronger backing of the starting QB to have said Hartman won the starting job through superior play, not imply and say he got it because Newman was injured. What would be the benefit of presenting the injured competitor scenario if Hartman was clearly better?

I watched the Hinton kid play at S. Durham. Never was impressed with him. He just piggybacked off of M. Trowell, the player at State.

The offense was the issue yesterday. If we have a serviceable QB on the bench I cannot understand why Sam was not taken out of several games; but especially in the first half yesterday. He missed some wide open throws and made some bad decisions. I know he is a freshman, but this was his 9th game and he has already played 2 of the best teams in America; so, he should not be making the same mistakes.

Easy to develop "happy feet" and rush throws behind that O-line. They have not been nearly as good as we had hoped this year. Wolford's mobility and ability to move the pocket really disguised a lot of their liabilities last year. I'm glad JW gave the NFL a shot as there is way too much athleticism and savvy in that body \ mind of his to not give it a shot.

This is not what was publicly presented with respect to the Newman/Hartman competition. Why would Clawson make this the public scenario if reality was different?

To me it would have been much stronger backing of the starting QB to have said Hartman won the starting job through superior play, not imply and say he got it because Newman was injured. What would be the benefit of presenting the injured competitor scenario if Hartman was clearly better?
Why would Clawson declare early in camp Hartman was the starter and risk making Hartman complacent and everyone accepting of their role? Or heck, risk an early transfer from Newman? Of course he's gonna say what he said. My theory all along has been that the Hartman / Newman "battle" wasn't as close as Clawson tried to make it seem. The PT distribution since (despite Newman being 2 years older) / Newman's play in limited action seems to support that. Newman just can't throw well enough.

Blessing in disguise! Sam needs to take his time, and heal. He's proven that he can play at this level, but he has taken a beating this season. Hopefully he comes back as a more physically mature Soph, and can take some of the punishment that our QBs always take. As for this ruining our bowl chances this year... blah! We have absolutely no business being in a bowl with this years squad, anyway.

I feel like Wake loses someone significant for the year vs Syracuse more than other teams. Mauk, Campanaro, Hartman. I feel like there are more that I can't remember specifically.

I feel like Wake loses someone significant for the year vs Syracuse more than other teams. Mauk, Campanaro, Hartman. I feel like there are more that I can't remember specifically.

Ok, while I'm not saying I'm glad Mauk got hurt, I think we made out ok on that one.

riley-skinner-3c1ec4a6-e7fb-4e5b-9492-8ee2a96315e-resize-750.jpeg

I heard (read) that it is a broken bone in his foot.

The stink of it is it happened at the end of a game that was in effect over. Now, I don’t blame Clawson for him being in there, it was a 17 point game, not a garbage time blowout. Just a real shame it happened with a minute and a half left.

Back