• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Holes:

North Carolina: Sources tell FootballScoop, in addition to Greg Robinson, Mack Brown is also hiring Dre Bly to coach corners

GT definitely the better option for him for many reasons, not the least of which is being in the Coastal.

Agree with this generally, but L'ville will admit anyone; GT doesn't; and it's a lot easier to keep players eligible at Papa John's U. Also, one advantage of being in the Coastal is avoiding Clemson, but GT plays them every year any way.

also tough to transition from triple option to a more traditional attack - GT effectively has zero QB's and close to zero WR's on its roster, and a bunch of undersized OL

also tough to transition from triple option to a more traditional attack - GT effectively has zero QB's and close to zero WR's on its roster, and a bunch of undersized OL

If I'm a non-option coach taking the GT job, I'm not accepting unless I have some good guarantees (length + money). You have to give the next coach time to implement a completely different style of play and fill the roster with players that fit that mold.

I dunno, I think the concerns are a little overrated. I remember people saying the same thing when CPJ took over and he had them bowl eligible and in the division mix in his first season on the job, and then they won the conference just one year later.

Also with all the QB transfers you can find someone at the most important position fairly easily

If memory serves, Montgomery was a good recruiter while at dook. Might be somebody to keep in mind as we try to fill roles.

Of course, he is an offensive coach, and we don't have a spot on that side of the ball. But position coaches generally could move around some.

I dunno, I think the concerns are a little overrated. I remember people saying the same thing when CPJ took over and he had them bowl eligible and in the division mix in his first season on the job, and then they won the conference just one year later.

Also with all the QB transfers you can find someone at the most important position fairly easily

I think it's easier to transition from a pro-style offense to the option than it is to transition from the option to whatever Satterfield runs (spread?).

I do agree with the second point. Probably wouldn't be tough to get a WR or two in there as well. I think a good coach could keep GT in bowls and get them to 8+ wins within 3-4 seasons.

ECU's QB Holton Ahlers is a stud. 6-3 236 true frosh. Did not start until October. 12/3 TD/INT ratio; ran for 592. Played well against good opponents throwing for 406 yards against UCF and running for 69 yards. He has not had a redshirt year; so, if he wants to leave and not go through a rebuild, he will be a very hot commodity.

Johnson lucked out, bigly, with Josh Nesbitt (former #9 dual threat qb nationally) on his roster for year one; Nesbitt may have been his best QB at GT

Johnson also inherited Jonathan Dwyer and Demaryius Thomas, giving GT a multi-dimensional offense he never really duplicated through his own recruiting

of course with UL's turmoil I really don't know what they have on the roster

Last edited:
I think it's easier to transition from a pro-style offense to the option than it is to transition from the option to whatever Satterfield runs (spread?)

Perhaps, but I will note high schoolers play in a variety of diff systems, then have to come in and play whatever style their college does. I highly doubt every offensive player GT has recruited was in an option offense in HS. So it's not like they aren't used to this sort of transition

Agree with this generally, but L'ville will admit anyone; GT doesn't; and it's a lot easier to keep players eligible at Papa John's U. Also, one advantage of being in the Coastal is avoiding Clemson, but GT plays them every year any way.

Good point. And you get The Dawgs every year too.

Nah, he's gone.
One App grad I work with thinks he will stay because he is an App guy and his wife wants to stay in Boone. I told them money will make a very happy wife anywhere. They are in denial he could leave.

If I were GT, I'd place a couple of calls to guys who might not be as safe as they think. I'd call Gus Malzahn at Auburn. The dude is on thin ice seemingly all the time. Tech could give him a guaranteed 5 year deal to come to Atlanta. Gus has to be tired of tangling with Bama, LSU, and now A&M every year. He could win big in ACC. What do you have to lose?

Chad Morris is another I'd call for the same reasons above.

I think Satterfield would fair pretty well right off the bat in Atlanta. If you give him some good running backs, and a QB who can protect the ball, he can coach a team to a successful season. Taylor Lamb ran for some pretty impressive numbers for Scott, so a running QB could fit in well if he can hit a 20 yard pass here and there. I know Tech has the backs, not sure how their QB situation looks but I'm sure one of their guys can throw the ball as well as Lamb could. As far as the rest of the team he will have more athletic players across the board, and from what he has gotten out of less athletic players over the years in Boone I think he could have Tech in the hunt for the division immediately.

If I were GT, I'd place a couple of calls to guys who might not be as safe as they think. I'd call Gus Malzahn at Auburn. The dude is on thin ice seemingly all the time. Tech could give him a guaranteed 5 year deal to come to Atlanta. Gus has to be tired of tangling with Bama, LSU, and now A&M every year. He could win big in ACC. What do you have to lose?

Chad Morris is another I'd call for the same reasons above.

Gus just took a pay cut to stay at Auburn for the privilege of coaching there. He thinks he can win a national championship there. He doesn't think that about Ga Tech because he's not stupid. He'd also make more money getting fired at Auburn than coaching at Tech.

I think Satterfield would fair pretty well right off the bat in Atlanta. If you give him some good running backs, and a QB who can protect the ball, he can coach a team to a successful season. Taylor Lamb ran for some pretty impressive numbers for Scott, so a running QB could fit in well if he can hit a 20 yard pass here and there. I know Tech has the backs, not sure how their QB situation looks but I'm sure one of their guys can throw the ball as well as Lamb could. As far as the rest of the team he will have more athletic players across the board, and from what he has gotten out of less athletic players over the years in Boone I think he could have Tech in the hunt for the division immediately.

Quite an accomplishment considering Ga Tech finished in second place, one whole game behind Pitt in the Coastal this year.

Back