Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 761

Thread: 2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

  1. #301
    Holes:

    North Carolina: Sources tell FootballScoop, in addition to Greg Robinson, Mack Brown is also hiring Dre Bly to coach corners

  2. #302
    I think Brohm has his sights set on Notre Dame long term when Kelly retires.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by tagsfan View Post
    GT definitely the better option for him for many reasons, not the least of which is being in the Coastal.
    Agree with this generally, but L'ville will admit anyone; GT doesn't; and it's a lot easier to keep players eligible at Papa John's U. Also, one advantage of being in the Coastal is avoiding Clemson, but GT plays them every year any way.

  4. #304
    also tough to transition from triple option to a more traditional attack - GT effectively has zero QB's and close to zero WR's on its roster, and a bunch of undersized OL

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    also tough to transition from triple option to a more traditional attack - GT effectively has zero QB's and close to zero WR's on its roster, and a bunch of undersized OL
    ECU's Scottie Montgomery out.

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    also tough to transition from triple option to a more traditional attack - GT effectively has zero QB's and close to zero WR's on its roster, and a bunch of undersized OL
    If I'm a non-option coach taking the GT job, I'm not accepting unless I have some good guarantees (length + money). You have to give the next coach time to implement a completely different style of play and fill the roster with players that fit that mold.

  7. #307
    I dunno, I think the concerns are a little overrated. I remember people saying the same thing when CPJ took over and he had them bowl eligible and in the division mix in his first season on the job, and then they won the conference just one year later.

    Also with all the QB transfers you can find someone at the most important position fairly easily

  8. #308
    Scooter Banks
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    9,844
    If memory serves, Montgomery was a good recruiter while at dook. Might be somebody to keep in mind as we try to fill roles.

    Of course, he is an offensive coach, and we don't have a spot on that side of the ball. But position coaches generally could move around some.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacAssured View Post
    ECU's Scottie Montgomery out.
    You mean he didn't have an $18M guaranteed contract?

  10. #310
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    100,588
    Quote Originally Posted by wsc8521s View Post
    I dunno, I think the concerns are a little overrated. I remember people saying the same thing when CPJ took over and he had them bowl eligible and in the division mix in his first season on the job, and then they won the conference just one year later.

    Also with all the QB transfers you can find someone at the most important position fairly easily
    I think it's easier to transition from a pro-style offense to the option than it is to transition from the option to whatever Satterfield runs (spread?).

    I do agree with the second point. Probably wouldn't be tough to get a WR or two in there as well. I think a good coach could keep GT in bowls and get them to 8+ wins within 3-4 seasons.

  11. #311
    ECU's QB Holton Ahlers is a stud. 6-3 236 true frosh. Did not start until October. 12/3 TD/INT ratio; ran for 592. Played well against good opponents throwing for 406 yards against UCF and running for 69 yards. He has not had a redshirt year; so, if he wants to leave and not go through a rebuild, he will be a very hot commodity.

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by wsc8521s View Post
    I dunno, I think the concerns are a little overrated. I remember people saying the same thing when CPJ took over and he had them bowl eligible and in the division mix in his first season on the job, and then they won the conference just one year later.

    Also with all the QB transfers you can find someone at the most important position fairly easily
    Johnson lucked out, bigly, with Josh Nesbitt (former #9 dual threat qb nationally) on his roster for year one; Nesbitt may have been his best QB at GT

    Johnson also inherited Jonathan Dwyer and Demaryius Thomas, giving GT a multi-dimensional offense he never really duplicated through his own recruiting

    of course with UL's turmoil I really don't know what they have on the roster
    Last edited by thatguy2016; 11-29-2018 at 05:53 PM.

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    I think it's easier to transition from a pro-style offense to the option than it is to transition from the option to whatever Satterfield runs (spread?)
    Perhaps, but I will note high schoolers play in a variety of diff systems, then have to come in and play whatever style their college does. I highly doubt every offensive player GT has recruited was in an option offense in HS. So it's not like they aren't used to this sort of transition

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Agree with this generally, but L'ville will admit anyone; GT doesn't; and it's a lot easier to keep players eligible at Papa John's U. Also, one advantage of being in the Coastal is avoiding Clemson, but GT plays them every year any way.
    Good point. And you get The Dawgs every year too.

  15. #315
    Ken Whisenhunt a leading candidate for Georgia Tech

  16. #316
    Scott "Rufio" Feather MBDeac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    W-S
    Posts
    5,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    Nah, he's gone.
    One App grad I work with thinks he will stay because he is an App guy and his wife wants to stay in Boone. I told them money will make a very happy wife anywhere. They are in denial he could leave.

  17. #317
    If I were GT, I'd place a couple of calls to guys who might not be as safe as they think. I'd call Gus Malzahn at Auburn. The dude is on thin ice seemingly all the time. Tech could give him a guaranteed 5 year deal to come to Atlanta. Gus has to be tired of tangling with Bama, LSU, and now A&M every year. He could win big in ACC. What do you have to lose?

    Chad Morris is another I'd call for the same reasons above.

  18. #318
    Broderick Hicks zqglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    3,251
    I think Satterfield would fair pretty well right off the bat in Atlanta. If you give him some good running backs, and a QB who can protect the ball, he can coach a team to a successful season. Taylor Lamb ran for some pretty impressive numbers for Scott, so a running QB could fit in well if he can hit a 20 yard pass here and there. I know Tech has the backs, not sure how their QB situation looks but I'm sure one of their guys can throw the ball as well as Lamb could. As far as the rest of the team he will have more athletic players across the board, and from what he has gotten out of less athletic players over the years in Boone I think he could have Tech in the hunt for the division immediately.
    beer and titties

  19. #319
    NEW MODERAT0R
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    31,261
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacWatcher View Post
    If I were GT, I'd place a couple of calls to guys who might not be as safe as they think. I'd call Gus Malzahn at Auburn. The dude is on thin ice seemingly all the time. Tech could give him a guaranteed 5 year deal to come to Atlanta. Gus has to be tired of tangling with Bama, LSU, and now A&M every year. He could win big in ACC. What do you have to lose?

    Chad Morris is another I'd call for the same reasons above.
    Gus just took a pay cut to stay at Auburn for the privilege of coaching there. He thinks he can win a national championship there. He doesn't think that about Ga Tech because he's not stupid. He'd also make more money getting fired at Auburn than coaching at Tech.

  20. #320
    NEW MODERAT0R
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    31,261
    Quote Originally Posted by zqglass View Post
    I think Satterfield would fair pretty well right off the bat in Atlanta. If you give him some good running backs, and a QB who can protect the ball, he can coach a team to a successful season. Taylor Lamb ran for some pretty impressive numbers for Scott, so a running QB could fit in well if he can hit a 20 yard pass here and there. I know Tech has the backs, not sure how their QB situation looks but I'm sure one of their guys can throw the ball as well as Lamb could. As far as the rest of the team he will have more athletic players across the board, and from what he has gotten out of less athletic players over the years in Boone I think he could have Tech in the hunt for the division immediately.
    Quite an accomplishment considering Ga Tech finished in second place, one whole game behind Pitt in the Coastal this year.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •