• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

This. They won a Big XII conference that has a lot of good offenses. Hard to care much about defensive rankings when you're one of the four best teams in college football.

Yeah, that's true, but a program like Oklahoma is looking for natty titles too and it's not like recruiting one side of the ball hard precludes you from recruiting the other side of the ball hard too. It's just there's no good reason a program like Oklahoma isn't solid on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying they have to have Bama's or Clemson's defense, but you'd at least think they'd have good defense.

I mean people act like one of the Big XII's bylaws is you can't have a good defense.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's true, but a program like Oklahoma is looking for natty titles too and it's not like recruiting one side of the ball hard precludes you from recruiting the other side of the ball hard too. It's just there's no good reason a program like Oklahoma isn't solid on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying they have to have Bama's or Clemson's defense, but you'd at least think they'd have good defense.

They have a chance at a Natty being one of the 4 best teams in CFB. Are you suggesting they change their strategy to be more balanced like osu or Georgia, because they are the 5th & 6th best teams in CFB this year.

They have a chance at a Natty being one of the 4 best teams in CFB. Are you suggesting they change their strategy to be more balanced like osu or Georgia, because they are the 5th & 6th best teams in CFB this year.

All I'm saying is there's nothing that says you can't try to have a good defense at the same time having a great offense too. Are you saying if they try to recruit better on the defensive side, they can't still recruit at the same level on the offensive side. It's not a hard concept, all I'm saying is you'd think a program like Oklahoma (one of the elite programs in the country), would have a good defense.

It's not like they're exclusive of each other. I'm sure everyone at OU wants and sees the need to improve the defense. They fired their DC earlier this year, and will probably bring in someone to replace Ruffin as well after the season.

It's like you're insinuating that they should just always try to win games 55-52 and not try to stop the other team more often. They're a very good team. Doesn't mean they couldn't be better.

:rolleyes:

UGA is better than OU

It's not like they're exclusive of each other. I'm sure everyone at OU wants and sees the need to improve the defense. They fired their DC earlier this year, and will probably bring in someone to replace Ruffin as well after the season.

It's like you're insinuating that they should just always try to win games 55-52 and not try to stop the other team more often. They're a very good team. Doesn't mean they couldn't be better.

Yeah, that's the point I'm trying to make, better stated.

People seem to have this notion that in the Big 12 is all offense and you can't or don't need to have a defense.

Are you suggesting that OU isn’t trying to have a better defense?

Explanations for Oklahoma's weak D:

- When you have an elite offense (and OU is statistically the best), you score quickly which means the opponent has more possessions; generally teams that score a lot of points give up a lot of points (Bama being the exception).
- Opponents know they have to score every time or almost every time to stay in the game; so, opponents' offensive gameplan will always be super-aggressive (go for it on 4th downs; take chances on offense).
- Self-fulfilling prophesy in recruiting: great offensive players are attracted to play for teams that score 50 a game; great defensive players are not attracted to play for programs that give up 40+ points a game (has been a general trend for the entire Big 12 - elite defensive players stay away because the emphasis is on offense).
- The great athletes that can play either offense or defense are directed to the offensive side because that is the program's emphasis.

Even so, these explanations don't tell the entire story. Prior to the Big 12 CG, OU's D gave up 40+ to their previous 4 opponents, including 40 to Kansas. That should not happen given OU's talent level.

:rolleyes:

UGA is better than OU

Georgia is playing Texas in the Sugar Bowl. OU beat Texas in the Big XII Championship game. OU is playing Alabama for a shot at the national championship. Georgia lost to Alabama.

Are you suggesting that OU isn’t trying to have a better defense?

That seems to be exactly what you're suggesting. They're one of the best 4 teams, so why change? See below.

Yes, I am suggesting that they change their defensive strategy to become a better all-around team.

Well, I guess we'll find out if Oklahoma needs to change their defensive strategy. We know it didn't work last year, they weren't able to outscore UGa, we'll see if they can outscore Bama. I'm pulling for Oklahoma so I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it works this year either. Oklahoma will have a really hard time stopping Bama, their offense will lay their gloves on Bama's defense at times, but most likely Bama's defense gets more stops than OU's does.

That seems to be exactly what you're suggesting. They're one of the best 4 teams, so why change? See below.

Yes, I am suggesting that they change their defensive strategy to become a better all-around team.

Are you suggesting that they try not to recruit great defensive players?

Why do you think Alabama just decided to recruit elite QBs with Tua?

Well if they are trying to recruit great defensive players then they need better eyes for talent because they sure haven't gotten great defensive players and there is no reason a program like OU shouldn't get their share.

Blah, looks to be official. Coach earned it, but hate it's Louisville.

@TimSullivan714
1m1 minute ago
More
University of Louisville Athletic Association will meet at 4 p.m. Tuesday, presumably to approve a contract for Appalachian State's Scott Satterfield as U of L's new football coach.

Will be interesting to compare where L'ville and UNC are 5 years from now.

Georgia is playing Texas in the Sugar Bowl. OU beat Texas in the Big XII Championship game. OU is playing Alabama for a shot at the national championship. Georgia lost to Alabama.

and UGA is still better than OU

I feel like you're just trolling at this point, so I'm going to stop. It's really a simple concept for teams to try to improve their weaknesses, whether through talent, scheme, coaching, or any combination.

Satterfield to Louisville.

Back