• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

all you have to do is look at the coaching roster. Locksley is listed as OC and Gattis as WR coach and co-OC. pretty clear hierarchy.

on the other side of the ball, the co-DC (not the DC) was getting mentioned for DC jobs at Ole Miss and Oklahoma

Geoff Collins was DC at Florida before being Temple's HC, now on to HC at Georgia Tech. Addazio was Florida's OC before taking the Temple job -- leading to the HC job at Boston College. Al Golden was UVA's OC before getting to Temple HC then on to Miami HC.

HC at Temple is definitely an upward move for Gattis.

I grew up near Philly and Temple was never a football power. It was more well known and one of the Big 5 basketball colleges in Philly, and Bill Cosby's alma mater.
In the past dozen years or so, it really has been a launch pad for a lot of P5 coaches.

all you have to do is look at the coaching roster. Locksley is listed as OC and Gattis as WR coach and co-OC. pretty clear hierarchy.

on the other side of the ball, the co-DC (not the DC) was getting mentioned for DC jobs at Ole Miss and Oklahoma

Geoff Collins was DC at Florida before being Temple's HC, now on to HC at Georgia Tech. Addazio was Florida's OC before taking the Temple job -- leading to the HC job at Boston College. Al Golden was UVA's OC before getting to Temple HC then on to Miami HC.

HC at Temple is definitely an upward move for Gattis.

So why do you think Gattis will never be the full OC?

I do not see him saying Gattis will never be full OC. It seems he is just speaking of his current/short-term position at Alabama vs a potential current switch to another program/position. We can't compare him to being THE OC at Alabama because he currently is not. It is an assumption to think he is immediately next man up. Alabama can bring it top talent for coordinator positions.
Gattis seems like a rising star, so hopefully he has multiple potential paths to get where he wants to be.

Going to Temple would most definitely be a good move for Gattis. He has already recruited the area when he was with Penn State IIRC.

I do not see him saying Gattis will never be full OC. It seems he is just speaking of his current/short-term position at Alabama vs a potential current switch to another program/position. We can't compare him to being THE OC at Alabama because he currently is not. It is an assumption to think he is immediately next man up. Alabama can bring it top talent for coordinator positions.
Gattis seems like a rising star, so hopefully he has multiple potential paths to get where he wants to be.

But my point is that Gattis should stay about become the full OC then get a P5 job rather than jump for a G5 job then to a P5 job.

Locksley has a checkered past, horrible record as a HC and still landed the Maryland job. I think it's nuts to say Gattis won't be able to do that in 3-4 years unless you have reason to believe Gattis will never be the full OC.

Dan Enos, Alabama's QB coach, is between Gattis and the OC position. While Locksley called the plays, Enos and Locksley developed the gameplans together, and a lot of people think Jalen Hurts stuck around in large part because he was developing so well under Enos. If they promote from within, my money is on Enos, so Gattis would have to wait until he moves on.

Elko also in the running for Temple if that hasn’t been said on here yet.

Still can’t edit on my phone, but wanted to add that Elko news is from Les.

Former TN HC Butch Jones will be an assistant HC/TE coach on Locksley's staff at MD.

believe you would deduct the 1.5 from the 3.5 in that scenario.

Groh was paid a small salary to be the DC at GT and got the bulk of his money from UVA.

This is not my, or USAToday's understanding

----
HHyDpbx.jpg

----

i MAY be losing my mind, but I'm nearly 100% positive the Denver Post reported on this subject AND quoted Colorado's AD on the terms of this contract right after the firing.

I was weirded out because that interview seems to be scrubbed from the internet, and then I saw today that they reported Colorado was questioning the contract agreement (which, again, I'm basically sure CU was openly discussing 3 weeks ago).

It seems like the best way to make a lot of money coaching college football is to get fired frequently.

K State hired ND State's coach who has won several FCS Nattys.

It seems like the best way to make a lot of money coaching college football is to get fired frequently.

most schools structure contracts where you don't get 'double-paid.' Colorado royally screwed up by not including college assistant on their buyout limitation language.

and basketball at some places. One especially comes to mind.

I was going to Include basketball too, but since this is a football thread I didn't.
You're absolutely correct, especially with a certain one that comes to mind.

Gattis got jumped over by the Bama QB Coach for the head OC position.

Gattis got jumped over by the Bama QB Coach for the head OC position.

Then he should go up for the Temple HC job. His current spot is still fine. Enos will probably get another head job in 2-3 years anyway.

Last edited:
Gattis needs to stay where the fuck he is at for a few more years. If he can't get promoted to OC, then go take an OC job at another P5 school. Kick ass there and then make the jump to head coach.

Gattis needs to stay where the fuck he is at for a few more years. If he can't get promoted to OC, then go take an OC job at another P5 school. Kick ass there and then make the jump to head coach.

He's making 525,000 currently at Bama. Temple paid Matt Ruhle almost $2.5 million (can't find a figure on Collins). If they offer Gattis the job and something even close to that, he should definitely take it. Temple has had solid teams recently and has been a great jumping off point for coaches to bigger HC jobs.

Back