• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Gattis didn't get "jumped" by Enos for the job, Enos was always ahead of him in the hierarchy.

Gattis will either leave for a HC coach job this year, or stay at Bama one more year and leave for a HC job the following year. He is a rising star already, and star will rise only further next year since Tua and all the receivers will be back.

Agree that Gattis has to take it if offered the Temple job:

A five year guaranteed contract for $2 million+ per is life changing money. Also, seems like once you get a college HC gig, the floor if you fail is another Power V Coordinator position, and the ceiling if you suceed is a massive Power V payday: the last 4 Temple coaches got Power V HC jobs.

That said, for a guy from NC, who played at WF, coached at Vandy, Penn State and Alabama. Being a football coach at Temple would suck. Temple is largely a commuter school is in the middle of downtown Philly. The facilities are rancid, and they play their games at empty Lincoln Financial Field. To Philly residents, Temple football doesn't even qualify as an afterthought. Large HSs in Bama, Pennsylvania and even NC have a bigger following. Definitely a different experience for Gattis. OTOH, Pennsylvania produces a lot of football talent (and NJ produces some), and other than Penn State and to a lesser extent Pitt, Temple does not have really any local recruiting competition.

Last edited:
Bama has a strange structure with a Co-OC and a Co-DC that aren't really "Co"

Agree that Gattis has to take it if offered the Temple job:

A five year guaranteed contract for $2 million+ per is life changing money. Also, seems like once you get a college HC gig, the floor if you fail is another Power V Coordinator position, and the ceiling if you suceed is a massive Power V payday: the last 4 Temple coaches got Power V HC jobs.

That said, for a guy from NC, who played at WF, coached at Vandy, Penn State and Alabama. Being a football coach at Temple would suck. Temple is largely a commuter school is in the middle of downtown Philly. The facilities are rancid, and they play their games at empty Lincoln Financial Field. To Philly residents, Temple football doesn't even qualify as an afterthought. Large HSs in Bama, Pennsylvania and even NC have a bigger following. Definitely a different experience for Gattis. OTOH, Pennsylvania produces a lot of football talent (and NJ produces some), and other than Penn State and to a lesser extent Pitt, Temple does not have really any local recruiting competition.

Philly is closer to College Park, MD than Penn State.

Temple has an indoor practice facility that opened in 2013. That's better than the Panthers. "Rancid" seems harsh

To put a plug in, The Athletic is worth subscribing two, esp if you can catch a 50 or 60% off deal. Reason I mention this is they have a really nice series analyzing the pros and cons of each open football job. While Temple historically has been among the worst D-1 jobs around, it has changed a lot over last 10+ years, and last 3 head coaches there have parlayed into much better gigs.

To put a plug in, The Athletic is worth subscribing two, esp if you can catch a 50 or 60% off deal. Reason I mention this is they have a really nice series analyzing the pros and cons of each open football job. While Temple historically has been among the worst D-1 jobs around, it has changed a lot over last 10+ years, and last 3 head coaches there have parlayed into much better gigs.

I have been intrigued about The Athletic for a while now. Where can you pick up the 50-60% off deal?

I have been intrigued about The Athletic for a while now. Where can you pick up the 50-60% off deal?

I got one over thanksgiving. They should be running more over next two weeks. If you have twitter follow somw of their writers and they will occasionally retweet deals

Last edited:
I got mine a few months ago. The 50% deal is going on now.

I'm hearing Gattis to Boone as well. Would love that if true

No offense to the Happy Appys, but if he succeeds, he'd be the clear favorite for every Big Four job.

Sounds like Elko was the #1 candidate at Temple but is staying at A&M. Manny Diaz the new #1, with Don Brown in the running. Don Brown is a legit DC, recent OSU thrashing aside.

Back