• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Seems like kind of an underwhelming hire. Did State fans even like the guy? They were always bitching about him.

State is now losing their OC, OL Coach, QB, top two WRs, starting RB, and 3 starting OL. Should be a solid offense next year in Raleigh.

Wow. I'm not sure I'd be very excited about that if I were an Appy fan. Like already mentioned, didn't he catch a lot of grief from State fans for having an underwhelming offense when you consider they had Finley, Gallaspy, Harmon, Emezie, and Jakobi? Dare I say this has a similar feel to when Scottie Mo was being ridiculed by Duke fans as an OC, yet he landed the head coaching gig with ECU?

State fans bitch about everything anyway so I wouldn’t let that be a marker for good/bad performance.

Good hire by App. He already has experience losing to Wake.

FWIW, Clawson thinks Drinkwitz is the real deal; he goes out of his way to praise him (really). Drinkwitz was born and raised in Arkansas. Went to Arkansas Tech for college and he was a HS assistant football coach as a college student. Drinkwitz graduated magna cum laude from college and was the student body President. After getting a grad assistant job under Gus Malzahn at Auburn (ARK connection), Drinkwitz was hired by ARK State as the OC, and then got hired to be the OC at Boise. At both places, the offenses scored a ton points. Doeren hired Drinkwitz to be OC in 2016, notwithstanding WF two wins over over the Pack, State's offense have been strong over the last 3 years under Drinkwitz. Would be concerned that he has never been a head coach on any level, but he is a smart driven guy that has only wanted to coach football. He is well respected among other coaches.

Last edited:
Did App even look at any current head coaches?

Drinkwitz is the kind of guy that would be the most prepared for the job interview. He probably broke down the returning players and had a plan to most effectively use them going forward.

State is now losing their OC, OL Coach, QB, top two WRs, starting RB, and 3 starting OL. Should be a solid offense next year in Raleigh.

Top two WR's aren't known yet. Emezie is back and if Meyers is back you have two of 3 starters back and one set the school records in catches this year while hurt and missing at least 1 game. 3 different players have rushed for 1000+ in last 3 years. Lot of pieces coming back and strong program building so far by DD. This year was supposed to be the "rebuild year" so I think you can expect another competitive team in Raleigh next year. Good programs have coaches and coordinators move on to better jobs, looks like that is happening here.

Similarly 3 years ago State lost it's OL Coach and OC and DD hired Ledford and Drink. I think you have to believe he will do well again given his track record.

Top two WR's aren't known yet. Emezie is back and if Meyers is back you have two of 3 starters back and one set the school records in catches this year while hurt and missing at least 1 game. 3 different players have rushed for 1000+ in last 3 years. Lot of pieces coming back and strong program building so far by DD. This year was supposed to be the "rebuild year" so I think you can expect another competitive team in Raleigh next year. Good programs have coaches and coordinators move on to better jobs, looks like that is happening here.

Similarly 3 years ago State lost it's OL Coach and OC and DD hired Ledford and Drink. I think you have to believe he will do well again given his track record.

I've heard this several times, and feel like it's a classic cop-out for an underachieving season. When your offense is starting an elite QB, 4 other seniors, and 2 junior NFL WRs, it certainly is not a rebuilding year. Sure the defense was unproven coming in, but they still started ~9 juniors or seniors on the 2 deep. That wouldn't be considered a rebuilding year anywhere, certainly not at State.

I've heard this several times, and feel like it's a classic cop-out for an underachieving season. When your offense is starting an elite QB, 4 other seniors, and 2 junior NFL WRs, it certainly is not a rebuilding year. Sure the defense was unproven coming in, but they still started ~9 juniors or seniors on the 2 deep. That wouldn't be considered a rebuilding year anywhere, certainly not at State.

Revisionist history is fun isn't it? The 2017-18 team lost an all american RT, an all conference RB, it's program leader in receptions, both starting LB's and 4 starting DL. 7 of which were drafted. The year after that is a rebuild for any team. The success (9-3 even in a week ACC is only an underachievement to crazy NCSU fans given our history) of this season is more a testament to the coaches and programs/recruits on the team than it shows that it "wasn't a rebuild".

NCSU lost 12 starters off of the 2017/2018 team and will lose 9 off of this team. QB is big but acting like it's some huge rebuild compared to the one last season is just not true. QB is huge but it appears that NCSU has plenty of talented options.

Revisionist history is fun isn't it? The 2017-18 team lost an all american RT, an all conference RB, it's program leader in receptions, both starting LB's and 4 starting DL. 7 of which were drafted. The year after that is a rebuild for any team. The success (9-3 even in a week ACC is only an underachievement to crazy NCSU fans given our history) of this season is more a testament to the coaches and programs/recruits on the team than it shows that it "wasn't a rebuild".

NCSU lost 12 starters off of the 2017/2018 team and will lose 9 off of this team. QB is big but acting like it's some huge rebuild compared to the one last season is just not true. QB is huge but it appears that NCSU has plenty of talented options.

My point stands. State's depth chart only shows 3 starters with less than two full years in the program (1 So, 1 rFr, 1 Fr). An elite college (maybe NFL) QB. 2 NFL WRs. No fanbase would/should consider that a rebuilding year. Maybe a "reloading year" at best (particularly on defense), but every legitimate program in the country has that issue year after year.

State beat zero teams it wasn't supposed to beat and got killed the one time they were an underdog, not to mention losing as a 19 point favorite in a home prime time game against a backup QB. In a vacuum at the beginning of the season, would 9-3 have been considered a good season? Of course, although replacing WVU with ECU makes a big difference. Looking back on the results of the year? Definitely underachieved in the eyes of most.

Back