• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

I'm beginning to think that Louisville will bite the bullet and run Bobby out of town despite the huge buyout. The asshole has his son and two sons-in-law on his coaching staff and is losing recruits at a rapid rate.

" Louisville football has lost another commit as Kristian Varner has decided to reopen his recruitment. Varner is a defensive end out of Georgia that had been committed since June. He chose Louisville over a handful of G5 teams as well as Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Boston College. Varner value in this class was high as he was one of the few defensive end prospects. As of now, Anthony Adkins and Jeremiah Pruitte have been mentioned as possible “edge” players but both have starred on offense for their high school teams this year.

Louisville is now down to ten commits in the class and as of now they only have one player scheduled for an official visit in the future. Vince Tyra has specifically mentioned recruiting in multiple interviews over the last few weeks as a focus for him when it comes to the future of Bobby Petrino. I’d imagine that the loss of three recruits in less than a week, as well as the loss of a freshman quarterback, won’t go over well.

We will have to wait to see how Petrino and his staff go about trying to salvage this class, but it seems like they are having a hard time selling the idea that things will improve. If they can’t sell recruits on the future, I don’t think they will be able to sell the fans or the man that has a big decision to make in a few weeks."

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2018/11/5/18064862/defensive-end-kristian-varner-has-decommited

I'm beginning to think that Louisville will bite the bullet and run Bobby out of town despite the huge buyout. The asshole has his son and two sons-in-law on his coaching staff and is losing recruits at a rapid rate.

" Louisville football has lost another commit as Kristian Varner has decided to reopen his recruitment. Varner is a defensive end out of Georgia that had been committed since June. He chose Louisville over a handful of G5 teams as well as Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Boston College. Varner value in this class was high as he was one of the few defensive end prospects. As of now, Anthony Adkins and Jeremiah Pruitte have been mentioned as possible “edge” players but both have starred on offense for their high school teams this year.

Louisville is now down to ten commits in the class and as of now they only have one player scheduled for an official visit in the future. Vince Tyra has specifically mentioned recruiting in multiple interviews over the last few weeks as a focus for him when it comes to the future of Bobby Petrino. I’d imagine that the loss of three recruits in less than a week, as well as the loss of a freshman quarterback, won’t go over well.

We will have to wait to see how Petrino and his staff go about trying to salvage this class, but it seems like they are having a hard time selling the idea that things will improve. If they can’t sell recruits on the future, I don’t think they will be able to sell the fans or the man that has a big decision to make in a few weeks."

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2018/11/5/18064862/defensive-end-kristian-varner-has-decommited

If any of their OLinemen decommit we should jump in.

The Cards will go hard after L'ville native Jeff Brohm (Purdue coach). Brohm is essentially L'ville/KY royalty (KY HS POY; his dad was a long-time HS football coach in KY; played QB for 4 years at L'ville under Howard Schnellenberger; both his brothers played for L'ville too).

Hope Brohm does not want to come home because his resume as a coach is about as good as it gets, and he has connections all over Kentucky and Indiana. He is the one guy that could unite the L'ville fanbase and get the buzz going again in a dying program and an athletic department in tatters. This is a blank check situation.

Yeah, that was an awful take. And if coaches can have a degree of success at NC State or Virginia there's no reason they can't at UNC-CH.

It dawned on me over the weekend that UVa and State are the only two current ACC schools who were originals members and have not played in the conference championship game in football.

If any of their OLinemen decommit we should jump in.

I believe we were after a TE that eventually committed to UL. Looked him up - Sam Snyder from the same HS as current WF frosh Ryan Smenda. If we still want a TE, I would think the staff would try to flip him. I mean, why go to a shitty school to play on a shitty team for a shithead coach?

A damn good stepping stone

Except that no coach has used WF as a stepping stone since Mackovic almost 40 years ago. (Don't cite Al Groh; he left WF in 1986 with a 26-40 record after he and Hooks didn't agree on the WF commitment to football; Groh ended up coaching TEs with Falcons and working as an assistant at South Carolina before riding Bill Parcells coattails.

Except that no coach has used WF as a stepping stone since Mackovic almost 40 years ago. (Don't cite Al Groh; he left WF in 1986 with a 26-40 record after he and Hooks didn't agree on the WF commitment to football; Groh ended up coaching TEs with Falcons and working as an assistant at South Carolina before riding Bill Parcells coattails.

Grobe certainly could have, even if he didn't. Dooley certainly could have if he was at a point in his career he wanted to continue coaching. Whether our coaches have stepped right into bigger jobs or whatever, there certainly isn't a history of coaching at Wake creating a graveyard of coach's careers.

Fitzgerald could've left NW at many points and prolly would've if he wasn't an alum, and Franklin leveraged Vandy into the Penn State job. And neither of those guys really has come/came all that close to winning the conference -- this is probably as close as Fitz has gotten thus far.

Just because Wake hasn't been a stepping stone doesn't mean that it can't be a great one

From Lousiville's 247 site:

"According to a source within the athletic department, in the Fall 2018 semester alone, 20 Louisville football players have requested the required paperwork to initiate a transfer. Number was described as “abnormally high...

Spoke to one of our players last night on the phone. I never ask these questions but I thought it was relevant and he was willing to share. He told me well over half the locker room "hate" not dislike "hate" Bobby Petrino and Nick. He also said there are no relationships at all with coaches so the buy in is impossible...

Take it for what its worth. My son played HS ball with a kid on the team and they still hang out. He just asked him if the transfer rumor was true. He said it was and when my son asked him if it was 20 kids, he said that was a conservative number. He asked him if it was because they thought Bobby was going to be fired. He said no, its because they cant stand him or the other coaches."

20 transfers?

RChill will defend. How can we say that has anything to do with the coaching staff?

mike macintyre out at colorado at the end of the season

mike macintyre out at colorado at the end of the season

Colorado won their division, won 10 games and played for the Pac-12 championship just two years ago. The Buffs somehow blew a 28 point lead against hapless Oregon State two weeks ago. That was the death blow.

Colorado won their division, won 10 games and played for the Pac-12 championship just two years ago. The Buffs somehow blew a 28 point lead against hapless Oregon State two weeks ago. That was the death blow.

Amazing how Colorado has completely fallen off the map since Gary Barnett left. I get they were on probation and lost a scholarship, but the tradition for a quarter-century should have carried them a bit further.

From 1982-2005 under Bill McCartney, Rick Neuheisel, and Gary Barnett, Colorado went 175-107-5 (7.3 wins/year) and made 17 bowl games in 24 years.

In the 13 years since, the Buffs are 55-104 (4.2 wins/year) and ahve only made two bowl games (losing them both).

Nonsense, Grobe threatened to leave for Arkansas and negotiated a very sweet deal for himself and idiot assistants. I call that a stepping stone.

Just catching up on this thread, but I have to disagree that UNC is a dead-end job. They get great recruits even when they suck. UNC (and UVA) should be much better football programs then they are.

Just catching up on this thread, but I have to disagree that UNC is a dead-end job. They get great recruits even when they suck. UNC (and UVA) should be much better football programs then they are.

Mack Brown is the only UNC coach in recent years that has left UNC for a better job. That's a dead end job.

Back