• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Pilchard

Reaction score
The first Power V Conference Coaching vacancy is now official:

- Kansas will fire HC David Beatty after this season: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25176555/kansas-david-beaty-return-fifth-season-football-coach

Rumored candidates: Dave Doeren (he is from KS; was an assistant at KS; coached HS in KS; that said, can't imagine that he would leave State for that job), Les Miles, Lane Kiffin, Seth Littrell (North Texas), Bret Bielema, Willie Fritz (Tulane), Troy Calhoun (don't think any of those 'candidates' would take the KS job outside for Fritz and Littrell).

Other Power V coaches on the hot seat:

- Bobby Petrino L'ville
- Clay Helton USC
- Chris Ash Rutgers
- Larry Fedora UNC
- Lovie Smith Illinois

Non-Power V schools that may make a coaching move

- BYU
- WKU
- UCONN
- UNLV
- ECU

Last edited:
The first Power V Conference Coaching vacancy is now official:

- Kansas will fire HC David Beatty after this season: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25176555/kansas-david-beaty-return-fifth-season-football-coach

Rumored candidates: Dave Doeren (he is from KS; was an assistant at KS; coached HS in KS; that said, can't imagine that he would leave State for that job), Les Miles, Lane Kiffin, Seth Littrell (North Texas), Bret Bielema, Willie Fritz (Tulane), Troy Calhoun (don't think any of those 'candidates' would take the KS job outside for Fritz and Littrell).

Other Power V coaches on the hot seat:

- Bobby Petrino L'ville
- Clay Helton USC
- Chris Ash Rutgers
- Larry Fedora UNC
- Lovie Smith Illinois

Non-Power V schools that may make a coaching move

- BYU
- WKU
- UCONN
- UNLV
- ECU

Kansas has a smart list for them of rumored candidates. All those other P5 coaches on the hot seat deserve a pink slip, would not be surprised if they all get one.

Sure would be cool if Les Miles wanted to come drink Dos XX in Winston for 500k-600k per year as a DC.

I doubt he does, but it'd be a lot cooler if he did.

Sure would be cool if Les Miles wanted to come drink Dos XX in Winston for 500k-600k per year as a DC.

I doubt he does, but it'd be a lot cooler if he did.

He's never coached on defense so that might be a bit of an issue.

Maryland was #1 when they finally did the right thing and fired Durkin early last week. Matt Canada is only interim. I would be surprised if he even applies to be permanent.

Before MD hired Durkin, it looked like they were going to hire Mike Leach. The AD at the time (Kevin Anderson) had been touting Leach (who was in between jobs at the time), and the Under Armor connection was in place because both Texas Tech and MD were UA schools; so the primary benefactor for MD Football, Kevin Plank, was ready to pony up the cash to get a deal in place. Someone in the MD administration nixed the Leach/MD negotiation because of the issue with Craig James' kid, while at TT. Now, Leach may be the National COY as he leads to Wazzu to another bowl and perhaps more, and MD football is head for the abyss.

He's never coached on defense so that might be a bit of an issue.

Oh well. I just assumed all those years with stud filled defenses and poor QB play, that he was a defensive guy. I bet he could up the recruiting and get Kirk Herbstreit to name drop at least 50 times per broadcast.

Before MD hired Durkin, it looked like they were going to hire Mike Leach. The AD at the time (Kevin Anderson) had been touting Leach (who was in between jobs at the time), and the Under Armor connection was in place because both Texas Tech and MD were UA schools; so the primary benefactor for MD Football, Kevin Plank, was ready to pony up the cash to get a deal in place. Someone in the MD administration nixed the Leach/MD negotiation because of the issue with Craig James' kid, while at TT. Now, Leach may be the National COY as he leads to Wazzu to another bowl and perhaps more, and MD football is head for the abyss.

I had always heard they almost hired Frank Reich, but passed for Durkin.

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Maryland-Coach-Runner-Up-Frank-Reich-No-Opinion-on-DJ-Durkin-120807476/

I wish there were an actual Coaching Carousel... Like all of the coaches on the hot seat and potential candidates got to ride on a big merry-go-round, while ADs told certain guys to get on and off.

I wish there were an actual Coaching Carousel... Like all of the coaches on the hot seat and potential candidates got to ride on a big merry-go-round, while ADs told certain guys to get on and off.

Because this is the internet age, the carousel is virtual. But ADs telling guys to get on and get off is real.

I don’t know why any coach would want the UNC job. That is the biggest dead end there is. It has ended many HC careers. Same for Kansas and Illinois - and Kentucky until recently with Stoops.

I keep hearing Satterfield to UNC but he would be crazy to do that.

If I think I am a decent HC, I don't touch the MD job for less than 7 years guaranteed. And $20+ million.

This year is lost for recruiting. I probably get a new university president next year and with that, a new AD, considering the current one is involved in the mess. Then I want 5 years after that, when the stench has had time to clear.

I don’t know why any coach would want the UNC job. That is the biggest dead end there is. It has ended many HC careers. Same for Kansas and Illinois - and Kentucky until recently with Stoops.

I keep hearing Satterfield to UNC but he would be crazy to do that.

Satterfield has a good thing going at App, he should stay there unless and until he gets a no brainer offer.

I hate UNC as much as the next guy, but it seems like a pretty perfect job for Satterfield. I can't think of a better fit for him.

He no doubt understands the recruiting landscape in the state of North Carolina and it's arguably the best job. Expectations are pretty reasonable and he should be able to get talent.

Just my two cents... Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

I hate UNC as much as the next guy, but it seems like a pretty perfect job for Satterfield. I can't think of a better fit for him.

He no doubt understands the recruiting landscape in the state of North Carolina and it's arguably the best job. Expectations are pretty reasonable and he should be able to get talent.

Just my two cents... Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

Plus, it’s a huge pay increase. Fedora’s salary is roughly 5 times his.

If UNC is a dead end job, what is Wake?

Back