• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Hard to believe rumor going around that Mike Leach is flirting with Texas Tech. Not only did they fire Leach. He sued TT; it was ugly. Then again, anything is possible with the pirate.

Apparently this got debunked.

"When reacting to his name being placed in the Tech coaching search, Leach added, "They didn't pay me last time I was there."

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday morning, via a high-ranking school official, that Texas Tech would not consider rehiring Leach and that West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen is "not on the list either."

"When reacting to his name being placed in the Tech coaching search, Leach added, "They didn't pay me last time I was there."

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday morning, via a high-ranking school official, that Texas Tech would not consider rehiring Leach and that West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen is "not on the list either."

Well duh, Holgorsen is not allowed to coach anywhere except West Virginia as long as he keeps the "bald mullet" look.

LOL at Holgorsen even being mentioned. Why the hell would he leave WVU for TTU?

quote-the-main-thing-about-money-bud-is-that-it-makes-you-do-things-you-don-t-want-to-do-hal-holbrook-56-38-26.jpg

Who are your 10? I don’t think it’s even that many. Just depends on the price.

I just made that number up, but it's low. My point is that there is precedent. Some guys who probably wouldn't: Urban, Chris Petersen, Dabo, Kirby Smart, Saban, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Ferentz, Pat Fitzgerald, Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman, Brian Kelly. T=

That's 12.

I just made that number up, but it's low. My point is that there is precedent. Some guys who probably wouldn't: Urban, Chris Petersen, Dabo, Kirby Smart, Saban, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Ferentz, Pat Fitzgerald, Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman, Brian Kelly. T=

That's 12.

I get your point. Depends on the job though.

Urban would (and probably will) after a year of “family time” in between.
Petersen did leave Boise State which I thought would never happen after a while, so who knows if he would leave again?
Dabo would probably leave for Alabama, but that’s about it.
Saban has nowhere to go unless he wanted another NFL shot.
Harbaugh would leave for the NFL again if he’s not fired.

I don’t know about the rest.

I get your point. Depends on the job though.

Urban would (and probably will) after a year of “family time” in between.
Petersen did leave Boise State which I thought would never happen after a while, so who knows if he would leave again?
Dabo would probably leave for Alabama, but that’s about it.
Saban has nowhere to go unless he wanted another NFL shot.
Harbaugh would leave for the NFL again if he’s not fired.

I don’t know about the rest.

I don't think Dabo would leave, even if it was Alabama.
He's got a great thing going at Clemson. Something that he built. And he doesn't have quite the pressure that a coach at Alabama has. I think his personality is a better fit for Clemson as well.

He's got a great thing going at Clemson. Something that he built. And he doesn't have quite the pressure that a coach at Alabama has. I think his personality is a better fit for Clemson as well.

With what he's got going on at Clemson, why would he want to follow Sabin at Bama? It's like following Bear Bryant. Dabo has a great thing at Clemson, practically everything Alabama could give him Clemson can give him. He doesn't have to deal with 2 programs in their division like LSU and Auburn, FSU is the only Atlantic division program with that kind of potential. He doesn't have to deal with programs like UGa or Florida in the other division. I don't think any Coastal division team has the potential of those 2 programs. I just don't think the U will ever be the U again and Va. Tech can be really good, but they have a shorter ceiling I think. Dabo is a legend in the making at Clemson, no reason to be the guy that follows a legend at Bama.

Dabo would be crazy to go anywhere right now. He has a simple path to the playoffs. All he has to do is beat Syracuse every other year and trounce some shit team from the coastal.

Dabo would be crazy to go anywhere right now. He has a simple path to the playoffs. All he has to do is beat Syracuse every other year and trounce some shit team from the coastal.

Well, he'll have to deal with a strong FSU program again, just a matter of time, but still easier than dealing with LSU and Auburn in your division.

If the NFL is taken off the table, Juice's list is solid.

Agree that Jimbo leaving FSU for A&M makes anything possible, but hard to see any of those 12 guys leaving for another college job. With the exception of a move like Chip Kelly or Urban Meyer, where the college coach goes to the NFL first or takes time off before reconsidering, just can't see that group of 12 leaving their current job to take another college job. I would add Dan Mullen, Paul Christ, Clay Helton (partially because no other school would offer him), James Franklin, Ed O as current head coaches that aren't going to leave their current job for another college job unless they are on the verge of being fired.

NFL is whole different dynamic. A different challenge. While some of the guys on Juice's list wouldn't be sought by an NFL team, if an NFL came at them with a blank check and they felt like they wanted to try football on another level, it's possible for any of them to leave for the NFL.

With what he's got going on at Clemson, why would he want to follow Sabin at Bama? It's like following Bear Bryant. Dabo has a great thing at Clemson, practically everything Alabama could give him Clemson can give him. He doesn't have to deal with 2 programs in their division like LSU and Auburn, FSU is the only Atlantic division program with that kind of potential. He doesn't have to deal with programs like UGa or Florida in the other division. I don't think any Coastal division team has the potential of those 2 programs. I just don't think the U will ever be the U again and Va. Tech can be really good, but they have a shorter ceiling I think. Dabo is a legend in the making at Clemson, no reason to be the guy that follows a legend at Bama.

Alabama football makes like $50M more a year than Clemson. They can afford to pay him should they want to. How many coaches at that level have made decisions based on humility of their own ability to be successful?

FWIW, my list was an estimated list of guys that wouldn't make a lateral move for more money. At this point, Bama is on its only level such that a) it's not a lateral move for anybody and b) Saban has nowhere to go but back to the NFL, which won't happen.

I guess you can argue about what is lateral, but WVU to TTU is a lateral move in my mind.

Well, he'll have to deal with a strong FSU program again, just a matter of time, but still easier than dealing with LSU and Auburn in your division.

It's going to be years before Taggart has that team close to where they were, if he's even capable of accomplishing it.

But should that happen and Dabo has a couple of years at 9-3, it will be interesting to see if the Clemson people start grumbling.

I don't see Leach going anywhere unless someone in the SEC comes calling.

Back