• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

I just don’t see Les Miles working out at KU. He just doesn’t seem like the kind of coach who will be able to string two sentences together without drifting into lala land, drooling on his bib, and requesting a serving of grass on a plate.

That video. AD must be cringing.

I just don’t see Les Miles working out at KU. He just doesn’t seem like the kind of coach who will be able to string two sentences together without drifting into lala land, drooling on his bib, and requesting a serving of grass on a plate.

That video. AD must be cringing.

When I'm 65, I pray don't have to use bad hair dye and take a total dead-end job. Not saying neither will happen. I said, "I pray" they don't.

I hope when I’m 65 someone with really low expectations will pay me millions of dollars to do something I enjoy.

2018 College Football Coaching Carosel

Kind of crazy that in the “real world” 65 is near retirement age but in higher education and politics, you’ve got plenty of time left.

Kind of crazy that in the “real world” 65 is near retirement age but in higher education and politics, you’ve got plenty of time left.

Most people in the real world don't get tenure or jobs-for-life

I don’t think job security is a hallmark of coaching revenue sports.

Les will be happy to take millions from KU before his inevitable firing or highly encouraged "retirement."

Les will be happy to take millions from KU before his inevitable firing or highly encouraged "retirement."

Didn't he leave money on the table w/ LSU by taking this job? I think he settled for ~$1mil of the $6.5mil he was still entitled to in order to be able to take this job.

LSU was probably happy to write that check.

Board fave Kliff Kingsury is teetering at Texas Tech after yesterday's loss to Baylor resulted in KK's 3rd consecutive losing season at TT. His overall record in six seasons is 35-40. His conference record is 19-35. KK's salary, not including bonuses is $3.7 million. As he nears the end of his K, his buyout would be $4.2 million.

Plenty of money to buy new shades:

MPBPJMXDYDZFXAB.20131005183312.jpg

He got fired as Pilch made that post.

TT should fix the mess that hooker killer made and bring back Leach.

Any chance that was 1980, when Wake actually played at W&M?
If so, that was an interesting year: this was the year after the Tangerine Bowl, and though we went 5-6 we were 7(!) points away from a 9-2 season. The only two loses that weren't extremely close were VT 7-18 (and w/o knowing who scored when, maybe that one was closer than the final score) and #8 UNC 9-27 (certainly no embarrassment against a top 10 team). A real quirk of that season is we played 3 (at that time known as) Div 1-AA teams in W&M, The Citadel and App State.
A year with so much hype/promise after the "miracle" '79 season that for the most part was a big disappointment, but it also avoided the blowout losses we had in the prior year so in many ways showed that '79 was no "fluke".

(ChrisL, if this is not the W&M game/season you referred to, thanks anyway for giving me an opportunity to stroll down the ol' memory lane)

The VT game that year was not particularly entertaining. A friend who was a student at VT made the mistake of popping off to a Wake player when we were at the Safari Room that night. Fortunately, the Wake guy was more passive than he was ticked-off about the game.

With Brown to UNC and Les Miles to Kansas (geez, ADs are so fearful of trying to find the next great young coach), these jobs are currently open:

Bowling Green
Central Michigan
Charlotte
L'ville
Maryland
UMASS
Texas State
Texas Tech

Western Kentucky hired Tyson Helton as its next coach. He is USC HC Clay Helton's younger brother. Tyson played at Houston for his dad Kim Helton. He was the OC at WKU under Jeff Brohm in 2015-6 when they scored a ton of points. He then was the QB Coach at USC under his brother until last year when he was hired as the OC at Tennessee.

Think that are a few more spins in the carousel. Rumors are the Urban Meyer may step down after the season, and the NFL has yet to start sniffing around. Lincoln Riley will get NFL offers in the next month.

There were some shockers among the coaches that kept their jobs: Clay Helton USC and Lovie Smith Illinois (who received a two extension).

Weird random reasons. I’m from Columbia and had a bunch of friends go there that incessantly proclaimed to be better than us with all of Clemson, USCe, and UNCC. Also had some family issues with a friend of my moms whose whole family went to Charlotte and all thought college was a waste of life so didn’t let their kids go and all incessantly hate on my for getting a PhD.

Sounds like your issues should be with your friends and family more than with UNCC.

Hard to believe rumor going around that Mike Leach is flirting with Texas Tech. Not only did they fire Leach. He sued TT; it was ugly. Then again, anything is possible with the pirate.

Hard to believe rumor going around that Mike Leach is flirting with Texas Tech. Not only did they fire Leach. He sued TT; it was ugly. Then again, anything is possible with the pirate.

I don't blame him, it's got to get old standing out in the freezing cold in Pullman last in the season.

Back