• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

I’d argue they were dead end coaches except for Fedora and we will see with him.

Just catching up on this thread, but I have to disagree that UNC is a dead-end job. They get great recruits even when they suck. UNC (and UVA) should be much better football programs then they are.

people have been saying that about unc and uva since before you were born, and it still hasn’t happened

people have been saying that about unc and uva since before you were born, and it still hasn’t happened

Yeah, we're totally shocked that Bunting isn't coaching Alabama and Torbush isn't coaching Ohio State.

I think we are seeing with him. Dead end.

You may be right. I thought Fedora was in his late 40s. I thought he was late 30s when he started at Southern Miss. He’s 56.

UVa was awfully good for a while under George Welsh, couldn't sustain it though after he retired.

You may be right. I thought Fedora was in his late 40s. I thought he was late 30s when he started at Southern Miss. He’s 56.

He could do one more stop as HC, but probably won't get any decent offers, given his uNC record

UVa was awfully good for a while under George Welsh, couldn't sustain it though after he retired.

What did they expect when they hired Al Groh? The decline of the Hoos roughly coincided with the best years of the Hokies. Coincidence or causation? That's open for debate.

What did they expect when they hired Al Groh? The decline of the Hoos roughly coincided with the best years of the Hokies. Coincidence or causation? That's open for debate.

It's also interesting that the Hokies are finding the seas a little rough so far post Beamer.

UVa was awful in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They only had 2 winning seasons between 1953 and 1982. Then Welsh came and they were really good for a long time- a 10 win season, and many 8-9 win seasons; ACC Championships in 89 and 95, Sugar Bowl in 90, perennial bowl game participants, etc. They actually sustained a level of success under Groh for a few seasons but then it all fell apart.

UVa was awful in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They only had 2 winning seasons between 1953 and 1982. Then Welsh came and they were really good for a long time- a 10 win season, and many 8-9 win seasons; ACC Championships in 89 and 95, Sugar Bowl in 90, perennial bowl game participants, etc. They actually sustained a level of success under Groh for a few seasons but then it all fell apart.

I think the first time we ever hosted the number 1 team in the country, it was UVa. Seems like we got up 14-0 real quick and then lost something like 49-14.

It's also interesting that the Hokies are finding the seas a little rough so far post Beamer.

All of a sudden, Bud Foster has lost his mystique. He can legitimately parrot Clawson about how injuries have impacted etc, etc. but some of the guys who are out now weren't against ODU. The NFL defections and suspensions haven't helped. It will be interesting to watch VT's recruiting over the next few months. A number of de-commits would not be surprising.

Virginia/VT are good when they recruit Tidewater area well. Both programs are rarely good at the same time.

Hard to think that Mack Brown made UNC into a top 10 program ~25 years ago. After he left to Texas, UNC then hired a string of HC's that were a little worse than their predecessor.

UNC specifically, and the ACC in general, needs to keep more local 4-5* talent here instead of losing them to the SEC.

Or losing 5 stars in VA and N.C. to Clemson

mike macintyre out at colorado at the end of the season

This is far from a done deal.

He does have major ACC connections (played at GT, was D.C. at Duke) & is one of my favorite HCs.

I think Colorado would only be downgrading... And, uh, his buyout is almost $11,000,000.

It's batshit insane that a school would pay that amount to get rid of the 2016 national coach of the year if he reaches a bowl this year. They are currently 5-5.

Virginia/VT are good when they recruit Tidewater area well. Both programs are rarely good at the same time.

I thought the hiring of Mike London by the Hoos would benefit VT from the standpoint of forcing Beamer to up his recruiting game in the 757 and elsewhere. Not my best prediction. I hate to think what Beamer's record would be if the Fuller and Edmunds families hadn't liked him so much.

Les Miles to Kansas. Hope he likes plastic grass.

Back