• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Potential for what? There are 7 FBS football schools in NC. Charlotte is a distant 7th. That is the same number of FBS schools as Florida and California. Georiga has 4. Virginia which is close to NC in size has 3.

NC does not produce a fraction of the HS football talent as California or Florida or Georgia, and Charlotte is not the type of school to attract out of state kids. I have nothing against the school, but if I had to rate a school for football potential Charlotte would be close to DFL among the 131 FBS schools.

Are you basing it off of potential or what it is now? If Charlotte can just recruit the Charlotte area really well they won't be DFL even in the state. I mean, 4 of the top 5 recruits in NC are from the Charlotte area.

I don't care about Charlotte athletics at all, but I can recognize if they get a coach that can attract the talent in and around Charlotte then they can be a solid team. I mean shit, even if they could find a guy that can consistently recruit 3-stars in NC and SC then they'd improve a ton.

Charlotte, you went to UNC-C, right? Can’t imagine someone not affiliated with that school would be posting this stuff.

1. Undergrad, but don't care about their athletics. Casually check their scores sometimes because I live in Charlotte.

2. Why not? CFB analysts for Fox and ESPN are saying the same things. What's the reason their potential with the right coach should be any less than an App State, who was ranked in the top-25 this season?

I'm amazed that anyone thinks that Miles to Kansas will work out.

He is 65. He was typically overmatched when his LSU teams faced opponents with equal or superior talent.

At Kansas, he will typically operate at a talent disadvantage against Big 12 teams. To win at a school like that, you need either a system that is innovative and advanced (like Mike Leach at TT and Wazzu) and/or you need to just out-hustle everyone on the recruiting/evaluation side (Matt Campbell at Iowa Sate; Clawson) so that you find undervalued 2 star and 3 stars that can compete with the 4 and 5 stars that you face. I don't see Les Miles as someone willing or able to do either.

Miles and Jim Grobe are within a year of each other in age, and while solid coaches with impressive credentials, I don't think either have the energy or creativity to succeed at a school like Kansas at this point in their careers.

Last edited:
Kansas, UNC, Kentucky are dead-end coaching jobs. You can get a good season here and there, but basketball schools to that degree are not going to change for a long time if ever.

UNC is an absolute graveyard for football coaches. It has ended many a decent career.

totally agree on miles

a huge knock on miles is that his offense looked like something bo schembechler ran in the 70s and he was either unable or too stubborn to change. if that offense didn't work in the sec, then it's definitely not going to work in the big xii. there's also not much reason to think that, at age 65, he's willing to adapt.

i get the hire from kansas' perspective because they really have nothing to lose and it's hard to fault an ad for hiring a coach with a ring. it just strikes me as an attempt to become mediocre rather than trying to compete at the highest level.

Are you basing it off of potential or what it is now? If Charlotte can just recruit the Charlotte area really well they won't be DFL even in the state. I mean, 4 of the top 5 recruits in NC are from the Charlotte area.

I don't care about Charlotte athletics at all, but I can recognize if they get a coach that can attract the talent in and around Charlotte then they can be a solid team. I mean shit, even if they could find a guy that can consistently recruit 3-stars in NC and SC then they'd improve a ton.

You think they can beat out Clemson, South Carolina, UNC, NCSU, and even Wake/Duke for the top Charlotte kids? Then throw in schools like UF, Tennessee, ND, and others that grab a top Charlotte area kid every few years.

Top recruits don’t want to play somewhere that won’t get exposure, meaning not power 5. So unless that changes anytime soon Charlotte has a very low ceiling.

No, I provided an example that shows Charlotte is a talent-rich area (if you're talking about the "4 out of top 5 ranked NC kids" comment. They could consistently land 3 star guys in and around Charlotte and be one of the better teams in their conference with a good coach, and maybe occasionally land one of the top guys in Charlotte.

Again, I really couldn't care less about Charlotte athletics. I always traveled back to Winston during school to go to Wake football and basketball games.

That being said, I don't understand why Charlotte should have a lower ceiling than App State? I'm genuinely curious on opinions, not trying to argue with anyone.

Makes you wonder why Wake doesn't just get a bunch of Charlotte kids and win a bunch of games.

People here don’t think App state has a very high ceiling in FBS either

App is better than us this year and were in the top 25 as a G5 team. But I guess it could be argued people here don't think we have a high ceiling in FBS either?

App is better than us this year and were in the top 25 as a G5 team. But I guess it could be argued people here don't think we have a high ceiling in FBS either?

App will not win the Sun Belt this year

The Sun Belt champion will play in the New Orleans Bowl on December 15 with a total payout of $925,000

Last year, WFU played in the Belk Bowl with a total payout of $4.5 million

totally agree on miles

a huge knock on miles is that his offense looked like something bo schembechler ran in the 70s and he was either unable or too stubborn to change. if that offense didn't work in the sec, then it's definitely not going to work in the big xii. there's also not much reason to think that, at age 65, he's willing to adapt.

i get the hire from kansas' perspective because they really have nothing to lose and it's hard to fault an ad for hiring a coach with a ring. it just strikes me as an attempt to become mediocre rather than trying to compete at the highest level.

At least Kansas won't have to worry about Les' leaving for another job. It will be interesting to see what buy-out terms his contract contains, if any.

The Sun Belt champion will play in the New Orleans Bowl on December 15 with a total payout of $925,000

giphy.gif

“This year” + “better” = a better team this year. Not how much money both teams brought in. What does this post have to do with anything??

And App plays to be in the Sun Belt championship this coming weekend if I’m not mistaken?

“This year” + “better” = a better team this year. Not how much money both teams brought in. What does this post have to do with anything??

And App plays to be in the Sun Belt championship this coming weekend if I’m not mistaken?

I thought it was obvious, but I'll say it more clearly

this is maybe App's greatest season every in FBS (I say maybe because I generally don't GAF about App St and won't be troubled into looking at their history)

in this dream season, they are maybe going to play in the New Orleans Bowl on December 15 in front of friends and family against an opponent nobody gives two squirts about

last year, WF played in the Belk Bowl against Texas A&M; never mind that Orange Bowl appearance a few years ago

So, I think any hint of App having a ceiling approaching WF's is ludicrous

William and Mary announced that former UVA Coach Mike London (who won a FCS Natty at Richmond with Clawson's players) will be the next Tribe HC. After UVA fired London, he was an assistant at MD and the head coach of HBU Howard (last year, Howard had the biggest ATS upset in history with a win at UNLV as a 45 point dog).

London replaces the retiring Jimmye Laycock who coached W&M since 1980.

Back