• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

If you aren’t power 5 you aren’t shit, that’s what people are saying. Wake is lucky we have relevance simply by being a power 5 team. You get more money, which means better recruiting, facilities if you care, better bowls, more exposure and therefore better recruits. I mean UCF hasn’t lost a game in almost two years and their playoff hopes are zero, which shows recruits you want to be relevant and in the playoffs be a power 5 school.

Why would Charlotte hire a guy that played for the guy they just fired?

Colin Cowherd is a normally a complete blowhard, so I'm skeptical, but he's stating he has two legit "sources" telling him that Urban Meyer will retire at the end of the year. I don't see it, but it wouldn't be much of a shock given how this season has gone for OSU.

I thought it was obvious, but I'll say it more clearly

this is maybe App's greatest season every in FBS (I say maybe because I generally don't GAF about App St and won't be troubled into looking at their history)

in this dream season, they are maybe going to play in the New Orleans Bowl on December 15 in front of friends and family against an opponent nobody gives two squirts about

last year, WF played in the Belk Bowl against Texas A&M; never mind that Orange Bowl appearance a few years ago

So, I think any hint of App having a ceiling approaching WF's is ludicrous

I didn't do that. I said they're better than us this year - which is true - and discredited someone saying App's ceiling is low by saying people here probably don't think ours is either.

Plus, this is being talked about from a coaching perspective (if it's a good idea for upward movement) not a long-term program perspective. I thought that's what the discussion on this thread was for.

The question also still hasn't been answered: why does Charlotte have less potential than an App State?

If you aren’t power 5 you aren’t shit, that’s what people are saying. Wake is lucky we have relevance simply by being a power 5 team. You get more money, which means better recruiting, facilities if you care, better bowls, more exposure and therefore better recruits. I mean UCF hasn’t lost a game in almost two years and their playoff hopes are zero, which shows recruits you want to be relevant and in the playoffs be a power 5 school.

I'm not arguing against any of this. I'm discussing coaching movement/mobility, not long-term program prospects. I am saying a good coach can make Charlotte really good in C-USA (bad conference) and land a HC job in P5 in no time. I have not mentioned money, playoff hopes, or being a better program than any P5.

And BTW I only asked why Charlotte is seen as a lower potential football school than App because Pilch said Charlotte would be DFL in the country on football potential, let alone the state. That's the only thing I'm wanting opinions on. I never compared any school to a P5, let alone Wake Forest.

London is older than I thought at 58. How many football coaches can say they've had a 30 year coaching career and all but two jobs have been at 5 schools all within about 3-4 hours of each other?

I assume he'll be at ODU soon enough.

London is older than I thought at 58. How many football coaches can say they've had a 30 year coaching career and all but two jobs have been at 5 schools all within about 3-4 hours of each other?

I assume he'll be at ODU soon enough.

Erk Russell coached for 32 years at Auburn, Georgia, and Ga Southern, with a one year stint at Vandy.

No one cares about Charlotte football.

Over the last 5 years, Charlotte ranks #124 out of 131 schools in FBS home attendance, and one of the FBS schools that it beat, Idaho, is transitioning to FCS. Over the last 5 seasons, Charlotte is averaging 13K a game (and it's only that high because Charlotte averaged 15K the year they opened their new stadium). This year, despite having over 20 thousand students, the 49ers are having the worst attendance year since moving up to FBS. 3 of their 5 home games had an announced attendance of less than 10K; there are over 25 FCS schools that average 10K a game. Football fans in the Charlotte area spend their time and attention on the Panthers, or if they are college fans, UNC, State or Clemson or the other 3 NC schools with FBS football. Charlotte will never be a "Charlotte 49er football town."

App. State regularly sells out their stadium 25K stadium. This year, App. State more than doubled Charlotte in game attendance (24K a game). While the area around Boone has far fewer people than Charlotte, the locals support and follow App football. Given the lack of other options in Western North Carolina, App State has a captive audience.

Power V schools (S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Miami, Wake Forest) have played or have agreed to play on the road at App. State. App. State has won FCS national championships and won at the Big House. Charlotte's best win is over Old Dominion, another school that started their FB program last week. App played at Charlotte this year and won 45-9. Why? Because better football players chose to go to App (a school with some football buzz) over Charlotte (a school with zero football buzz). Don't see that changing.

Last edited:
1. I never said Charlotte was going to be a "49er football town." That would be outrageous as hell.

2. I am talking potential. Not right now. I think everyone knows Charlotte sucks at football, but I don't see any reason why the right football coach couldn't change that and use it to elevate into another job, particularly one that could recruit Charlotte well. The Army DC, Bateman, could do this too and is a much more realistic option than Gattis.

What I don’t think you are getting is people are arguing that history says the football is shit and a coach won’t matter so if you want your coaching career to die going 4-8 at best every year go to Charlotte. There is 90% risk to 10% reward where you can go to many other FBS non-power 5 programs and have much great reward compared to the risk.

Okay, makes sense. So no one should seek the HC position at Charlotte until they get a better football history is what you're saying?

And BTW I only asked why Charlotte is seen as a lower potential football school than App because Pilch said Charlotte would be DFL in the country on football potential, let alone the state. That's the only thing I'm wanting opinions on. I never compared any school to a P5, let alone Wake Forest.

If it makes you feel better, it would be dumb for Gattis to take the App job too.

I mean I don’t think I ever said Gattis should take the job... I think I said the opposite actually. Only said he should be Charlotte’s top option, which rarely every works out for non-elite programs.

I mean I don’t think I ever said Gattis should take the job... I think I said the opposite actually. Only said he should be Charlotte’s top option, which rarely every works out for non-elite programs.

You’ve been talking out of both sides of your mouth. You said Gattis probably shouldn’t take the job, yet keep repeating that it “could be viewed” as a coveted position, it’s an awesome opportunity for a good recruiter which is what Gattis is, no reason why it couldn’t be App, a lot of analysts agree with me, etc. So it does sound like you think he ought to check out this awesome opportunity that “could be viewed” as a great one. You’re trying to be a good salesman for your alma mater. Good for you. But for someone like Gattis, and frankly anyone we would discuss on this thread, it isn’t the right move. Charlotte is the coaching hinterlands.

charlottedeac is an under the radar great poster

If that’s your argument, why wouldn’t Nick Saban be their top option?

I hate UNCC so I hate coming to their defense a little bit, but there are better comparisons than App. 2 that come to mind are Coastal and UConn. This are both in areas where people either don’t care about college football or have another much more eatablishrd team. UConn sucks now but they were very good the same period we were. Coastal just moved up after having success at the FCS level. Those are also both new programs within the last 15-20 years. App’s difference is they have had prolonged success and following for decades. I could easily see UNCC having some very good years, but also some very awful years like UConn is certainly having now.

Back