• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Would help their QB issues. There was chatter about it before Enos.

Who will be the OC at Bama? Return of Sark now that the Falcons bounced him out?

I’m telling you. Saban is running a career rehab program there.

Almost need a QB transfer carousel thread too.

Clemson - Trevor is starter, Kelly Bryant to Mizzou.
Alabama - Tua is starter, Jalen Hurts transferring. Possibly Miami or Maryland.
Georgia - Fromm is starter, Fields to Ohio State.
Ohio State - Fields coming in, Martell transferring. New school tbd.
Notre Dame - Book is starter, Wimbush to UCF.

Shane Buechele (Texas, behind Sam Ehlinger), Austin Kendall (OU, behind Spencer Rattler), and Deondre Francois (FSU, behind Blackman?) all considering transferring.

Tyree Jackson (Buffalo) may transfer or just jump to the NFL.

So basically you can no longer have a good backup or one who wants to wait for his starting shot.

Almost need a QB transfer carousel thread too.

Clemson - Trevor is starter, Kelly Bryant to Mizzou.
Alabama - Tua is starter, Jalen Hurts transferring. Possibly Miami or Maryland.
Georgia - Fromm is starter, Fields to Ohio State.
Ohio State - Fields coming in, Martell transferring. New school tbd.
Notre Dame - Book is starter, Wimbush to UCF.

Shane Buechele (Texas, behind Sam Ehlinger), Austin Kendall (OU, behind Spencer Rattler), and Deondre Francois (FSU, behind Blackman?) all considering transferring.

Tyree Jackson (Buffalo) may transfer or just jump to the NFL.

Tate Martell is supposedly deciding between West Virginia, Miami and L'ville.

Two other QB transfers:

OK QB Austin Kendall reportedly considering Auburn and WV
TCU QB Shawn Robinson going to Missou (sitting out 2019 eligible in 2020)

So basically you can no longer have a good backup or one who wants to wait for his starting shot.

Looks like most of the ones who are leaving started early and got beat out by a younger player or started and will likely get beaten out by a new player.

Coaches recruit on top of players all the time. They just want the absolute best player - they don't have loyalty to anyone who has made a commitment. So it's a two way street. Players transfer. If the number of football scholarships were reduced, then coaches would no longer have that luxury. Additionally, it would help schools meet Title IX compliance, and spread out the talent nationally.

The first major QB transfer I can remember - a guy who played at both schools - was Troy Aikman. Blame him.

Coaches recruit on top of players all the time. They just want the absolute best player - they don't have loyalty to anyone who has made a commitment. So it's a two way street. Players transfer. If the number of football scholarships were reduced, then coaches would no longer have that luxury. Additionally, it would help schools meet Title IX compliance, and spread out the talent nationally.

Sure. But what we're seeing is that often top rated HS player two or three years ago gets beaten out by the top rated HS player who enrolled in January or August. That's a huge change. Given the success of college freshmen and NFL rookies, I have a theory that the QB position and football offenses are becoming streamlined between HS, college, and the NFL. HS and the NFL are adapting more of the college game than ever before so there's not as tough of a transition. In the past, colleges were doing option and the NFL was doing pro style. Now everybody is going lots of RPO. Pro QBs are expected to be able to run. A college QB has a better idea of what he needs to do in the NFL. A HS kid knows what he needs to do in college. Coaches at the college and pro levels can see if a kid can do what he needs to do at the next level.

MD hired recently fired ECU head coach Scottie Montgomery as the new Terp OC. Before his time at ECU, Montgomery was Cutcliffe's OC at Duke. Montgomery is a Duke grad - a solid WR in his 4 years there.

So, the HC with a 3-31 record as HC hires an OC with a 9-26 record as a HC. With that said, I think Montgomery is a good OC, and this is a good fallback after Gattis went to Michigan.

I can’t prove this with actual data, but I guarantee that quarterback is the one position not just in football, but in all of college sports , who is most likely to transfer during their college career.

I can’t prove this with actual data, but I guarantee that quarterback is the one position not just in football, but in all of college sports , who is most likely to transfer during their college career.

even so, it does seem like this year has been particularly rife with top level program QB transfers

I believe this may have gotten lost in the shuffle, but Tom Gilmore, the Defensive Analyst for the Deacs last season has taken the Head Coaching job for Lehigh. Prior to working for Dave Clawson he was the Head Coach at Holy Cross.

Back