• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

Yeah, that was an awful take. And if coaches can have a degree of success at NC State or Virginia there's no reason they can't at UNC-CH.

It’s not a dead enemy job necessarily, but what coach have they had since Mack Brown that’s had great success?

So is Texas also a dead end job ? No one's had great success there since Mack Brown either.

Ask John Mackovic and Jim Caldwell.

The former head coach at Texas and the former head coach of the Colts and Lions?

In all seriousness, would UNC be a good step up for him, yeah maybe. However, Satterfield played at App and is having great success there and the man is a king up there. Sure he could make more money at UNC, but it’s not like he’s having any trouble paying his bills now. If he goes to UNC and bombs, where does that leave him? That kind of goes for making any move really. It couldn’t be an easy decision.

As far as Wake, I think you could argue that a little success at Wake probably gets you farther in job advancement than a little succes a UNC would. Wasn’t Nebraska interested in Grobe before he even won the ACC title? I would imagine Clawson was on a lot of school’s radars after the last 2 years, taking us to back to back bowls. Heck, even our dud coaches have gone on to big jobs. Groh was head coach of the Jets and UVA. Caldwell was the head coach of the Colts and Lions. Dooley could’ve parlayed his success here to a bigger job had he been younger and wasn’t retiring. So, I don’t really see how Wake has been a dead end job for coaches.

After UNC's 11-3 (8-0) season in 2015, I seem to remember some rumblings of Fedora getting some looks for some pretty good gigs (like A&M, but they didn't end up firing Sumlin at the time). Of course UNC is a good job and can lead to even better jobs. You know, if you're actually a good coach.

I don’t think there is a such thing as a dead end job.

After UNC's 11-3 (8-0) season in 2015, I seem to remember some rumblings of Fedora getting some looks for some pretty good gigs (like A&M, but they didn't end up firing Sumlin at the time). Of course UNC is a good job and can lead to even better jobs. You know, if you're actually a good coach.

Yeah, I also remember people were surprised that he went back to UNC after that season.

I don’t think there is a such thing as a dead end job.

Yeah, I mean most AD’s know if a coach is doing a good job at another program. If Rice hires a coach and he gets to 4-5 wins in year one and gets to 6-6 the next year, then because of the situation at Rice that looks pretty good to other programs that are looking for a coach. If UNC hires a new coach and he gets them to 4-5 wins next year and 6-6 the next, that ain’t getting on anybody’s radar. He may be improving things, but he’s going to have to do more than that. A job like Rice looks terrible, but in reality provides a good opportunity for say an FCS coach moving up if they can just have a little success there. You don’t have to win 8+ games a year to look good to other programs if your at a program that winning is inherently harder than most programs.

If I am the Holes, I would love to get rid of Fedora. However the buyout is around 14 mil this year and 10 mil after 2019. Maybe they just hold steady, suck a little while longer, and hope Satterfield stays at App. Maybe he is still there in 2020 and can be plucked then. What does it really matter as I know Hole fans that go to the games just to party these days and could care less about the product on the field.

Yeah, signing Fedora to a 7-year extension after 2015 was a huge mistake. It was a very good season... But it was one good season.

Take out that 8-0 campaign in 2015 and the Heels are 20-26 in the ACC since he arrived 7 years ago.

There is no good reason why UNC shouldn't be competitive in the Coastal division.

Yeah, signing Fedora to a 7-year extension after 2015 was a huge mistake. It was a very good season... But it was one good season.

Take out that 8-0 campaign in 2015 and the Heels are 20-26 in the ACC since he arrived 7 years ago.

Maybe Wellman provided some friendly advice on that deal. They probably had the #3 recruiting class in the ACC coming in that year too.

I don’t know why any coach would want the UNC job. That is the biggest dead end there is. It has ended many HC careers. Same for Kansas and Illinois - and Kentucky until recently with Stoops.

I keep hearing Satterfield to UNC but he would be crazy to do that.

Torbush and Bunting were terrible and shouldn't have been the HC @ UNC to begin with. Davis was dirty and Fedora doesn't seem like the brightest guy out there.

I don't think UNC has ended any promising coaching careers.

Torbush and Bunting were terrible and shouldn't have been the HC @ UNC to begin with. Davis was dirty and Fedora doesn't seem like the brightest guy out there.

I don't think UNC has ended any promising coaching careers.

Withers (2011 HC) has gone on to JMU and Texas State.

Back