• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

I hate UNCC so I hate coming to their defense a little bit, but there are better comparisons than App. 2 that come to mind are Coastal and UConn. This are both in areas where people either don’t care about college football or have another much more eatablishrd team. UConn sucks now but they were very good the same period we were. Coastal just moved up after having success at the FCS level. Those are also both new programs within the last 15-20 years. App’s difference is they have had prolonged success and following for decades. I could easily see UNCC having some very good years, but also some very awful years like UConn is certainly having now.

Isn’t UConn seriously considering dropping football? Good comparison.

You’ve been talking out of both sides of your mouth. You said Gattis probably shouldn’t take the job, yet keep repeating that it “could be viewed” as a coveted position, it’s an awesome opportunity for a good recruiter which is what Gattis is, no reason why it couldn’t be App, a lot of analysts agree with me, etc. So it does sound like you think he ought to check out this awesome opportunity that “could be viewed” as a great one. You’re trying to be a good salesman for your alma mater. Good for you. But for someone like Gattis, and frankly anyone we would discuss on this thread, it isn’t the right move. Charlotte is the coaching hinterlands.

1. Yeah kinda. But I can believe all those things and think Gattis can look at it and use it as leverage, and also think Charlotte can be a good opportunity for someone that’s a good recruiter.

2. Yeah i guess I’m probably a little more bullish on it than most people (although I don’t follow UNCC sports at all) and I pretty much agree with the post above saying they can have really good years and really bad years. I do believe the right coach could come in, recruit the Charlotte area well, make consecutive bowl games, and bounce to a better job opportunity. That just doesn’t make a ton of sense for Gattis because it’s more likely the OC gets hired away, he gets promoted to full time OC, and then he gets hired away never having to really “build” anything or take any chances.

Gattis’ name was the first one I thought of and saw analysts mention him as well so I posted about it.

If that’s your argument, why wouldn’t Nick Saban be their top option?

Okay, <0% of happening. As I said in my last post Gattis name popped into my head because he’s a great coach and has ties to recruiting the Carolinas. The same goes to Jay Bateman at Army.

I hate UNCC so I hate coming to their defense a little bit, but there are better comparisons than App. 2 that come to mind are Coastal and UConn. This are both in areas where people either don’t care about college football or have another much more eatablishrd team. UConn sucks now but they were very good the same period we were. Coastal just moved up after having success at the FCS level. Those are also both new programs within the last 15-20 years. App’s difference is they have had prolonged success and following for decades. I could easily see UNCC having some very good years, but also some very awful years like UConn is certainly having now.

Why do you hate UNCC?

If you don’t follow the sports at all, how do you know these things could happen?

Isn’t UConn seriously considering dropping football? Good comparison.

They are not.

I’m also just saying there is a chance for big years. UConn had them. Hell in the bowl in ‘07 they were co-BiG East champs when that meant something.

Also, App and UNCC both have no chance to ever be nationally relevant in their respective conferences.

Why do you hate UNCC?

Weird random reasons. I’m from Columbia and had a bunch of friends go there that incessantly proclaimed to be better than us with all of Clemson, USCe, and UNCC. Also had some family issues with a friend of my moms whose whole family went to Charlotte and all thought college was a waste of life so didn’t let their kids go and all incessantly hate on my for getting a PhD.

Just for the record, when I said “coveted position” I meant from the perspective of a head coach going there, being good for a couple years, and moving to a better job (head coaching upward trajectory). I never meant Charlotte could we a powerhouse or nationally relevant, especially not consistently. I may have conveyed my thoughts in a poor manner, but I was at work and focusing on a few different things.

They are not.

I’m also just saying there is a chance for big years. UConn had them. Hell in the bowl in ‘07 they were co-BiG East champs when that meant something.

Also, App and UNCC both have no chance to ever be nationally relevant in their respective conferences.

And now that there is no Big East they are irrelevant.

Just for the record, when I said “coveted position” I meant from the perspective of a head coach going there, being good for a couple years, and moving to a better job (head coaching upward trajectory). I never meant Charlotte could we a powerhouse or nationally relevant, especially not consistently. I may have conveyed my thoughts in a poor manner, but I was at work and focusing on a few different things.

So coveted in the way any FBS coaching job is coveted.

William and Mary announced that former UVA Coach Mike London (who won a FCS Natty at Richmond with Clawson's players) will be the next Tribe HC. After UVA fired London, he was an assistant at MD and the head coach of HBU Howard (last year, Howard had the biggest ATS upset in history with a win at UNLV as a 45 point dog).

London replaces the retiring Jimmye Laycock who coached W&M since 1980.

I went to a W&M/Wake game his first year. I was in 7th grade. I am 50 now.

I went to a W&M/Wake game his first year. I was in 7th grade. I am 50 now.

Any chance that was 1980, when Wake actually played at W&M?
If so, that was an interesting year: this was the year after the Tangerine Bowl, and though we went 5-6 we were 7(!) points away from a 9-2 season. The only two loses that weren't extremely close were VT 7-18 (and w/o knowing who scored when, maybe that one was closer than the final score) and #8 UNC 9-27 (certainly no embarrassment against a top 10 team). A real quirk of that season is we played 3 (at that time known as) Div 1-AA teams in W&M, The Citadel and App State.
A year with so much hype/promise after the "miracle" '79 season that for the most part was a big disappointment, but it also avoided the blowout losses we had in the prior year so in many ways showed that '79 was no "fluke".

(ChrisL, if this is not the W&M game/season you referred to, thanks anyway for giving me an opportunity to stroll down the ol' memory lane)

I think Les Miles is having a stroke in front of our eyes in that video.

I just don't see Les Miles at Kansas working out very well. He just doesn't seem to be the kind of a coach that is going to make a traditionally bad program better.

Any chance that was 1980, when Wake actually played at W&M?
If so, that was an interesting year: this was the year after the Tangerine Bowl, and though we went 5-6 we were 7(!) points away from a 9-2 season. The only two loses that weren't extremely close were VT 7-18 (and w/o knowing who scored when, maybe that one was closer than the final score) and #8 UNC 9-27 (certainly no embarrassment against a top 10 team). A real quirk of that season is we played 3 (at that time known as) Div 1-AA teams in W&M, The Citadel and App State.
A year with so much hype/promise after the "miracle" '79 season that for the most part was a big disappointment, but it also avoided the blowout losses we had in the prior year so in many ways showed that '79 was no "fluke".

(ChrisL, if this is not the W&M game/season you referred to, thanks anyway for giving me an opportunity to stroll down the ol' memory lane)
One and the same.

Back