• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Football Coaching Carousel

How is Charlotte a really good opportunity compared to 2/3 of other G5 programs?

Gattis should stay at Bama until he gets the OC spot to himself and wins a CFP. Then he will have plenty of a P5 offers.

Yeah Gattis would be stupid to move on to anything other than a legit P5 job. Didn’t Alabama’s offensive line coach move on to Oregon as HC a couple years ago? Working under Saban opens up basically any opportunity.

Not exactly. Christobal was promoted to HC at Oregon after Taggart left for FSU. He was hired as an assistant under Taggart after being, among other things, an assistant under Saban and a HC at FIU.

People not understanding Gattis’s trajectory on here is one of the more puzzling things.

People not understanding Gattis’s trajectory on here is one of the more puzzling things.

It’s part of the obsession with hiring people affiliated with MSD.

That’s what I was would do.

Just saying it’d be a home run for Charlotte and Charlotte can be seen as a really good opportunity.

“Can be seen?” If it’s not actually a good opportunity for someone in his position, who cares how it is perceived. Charlotte should not be on the radar of the major up and coming coaches.

Charlotte should try everything they can to get it done. I have not said Gattis "should" do it, though I do think it's a good opportunity for a coach that is known for his recruiting. Charlotte consistently has a wealth of talent that can be attracted with the right coach.

I agree with Ph that Gattis should stay at Bama until he's the lone OC, I was only saying he should be at the top of the list for Charlotte to try to lure (though, admittedly, I could have worded it better).

The wake job is probably beneath Gattis’s resume at this point. Let along Charlotte. I’d be more worried about unc coming after him.

Charlotte is a shit job and not worth the effort to try and turn around for a young coach as the risk is way greater than potential reward.

Charlotte should 100% hire Josh Gattis to be their next head coach. Only other person that makes as much sense is the Army DC. Gattis would be a home run, and it could actually be viewed as a very coveted position for a first time head coach. Tons of opportunity there.

You’re pretty clearly trying to make the case that Charlotte is a good opportunity when it isn’t.

Saying that Charlotte should go after him is perfectly fine; I’m sure that they should. But saying he ought to listen, because it “could be viewed as a very coveted position,” is wrong.

Does NC rank first in number of D1 football programs in state? We gotta be up there.

No I’m definitely not. I just see potential at Charlotte and a lot of other people (college football analysts) do too. I’m not alone in this thinking.

Saying there is potential there doesn’t mean it’s a top tier job or whatever you guys seem to think I’m saying.

Another one:
https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/status/1064537821007003649?s=21

Potential for what? There are 7 FBS football schools in NC. Charlotte is a distant 7th. That is the same number of FBS schools as Florida and California. Georiga has 4. Virginia which is close to NC in size has 3.

NC does not produce a fraction of the HS football talent as California or Florida or Georgia, and Charlotte is not the type of school to attract out of state kids. I have nothing against the school, but if I had to rate a school for football potential Charlotte would be close to DFL among the 131 FBS schools.

Found, but didn't verify, this online...

12 - Texas
8 - Ohio
7 - California
7 - Florida
7 - North Carolina

Back