• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State game 7:30 Thursday

Doeren had to balance the chances of a bad snap to the holder and a missed kick versus a bad snap to the quarterback and a dropped pass.

N&O is a bunch of state loving turds. “State’s chances at history” give me a break. I mean technically everything is history I guess but best case scenario for State was being the team with the least losses among a pile of teams wayyy behind Clemson. That #14 ranking was nuts.

Scenario 1: You go and pick up the fourth down, the game is over (100% chance of winning if you get it)
Scenario 2: You kick the field goal and miss (no chance to end the game outright, up by 3)
Scenario 3: You kick the field goal and make (no chance to end game outright, up by six)
Scenario 4: You go and miss it (chance to end the game outright, worst case you're where you would've been if you missed a field goal)

I'd have to believe scenarios 1 and 4 combined provide a better chance to win than 2 and 3 combined.

100%

I'm not saying it was a bad call but a field goal would have made our td drive tougher. State had to defend much tighter in to try and stop a game tying field goal. If they knew we needed a td they would have kept more DBs back to prevent what ended up happening. Who knows but I doubt state is up right with man coverage up 6 there. They clearly were playing to keep us out of fg range.

Yeah, it was definitely a debatable call either way. Being up 6 as opposed to 3 massively impacts the way you play D.

Scenario 1: You go and pick up the fourth down, the game is over (100% chance of winning if you get it)
Scenario 2: You kick the field goal and miss (no chance to end the game outright, up by 3)
Scenario 3: You kick the field goal and make (no chance to end game outright, up by six)
Scenario 4: You go and miss it (chance to end the game outright, worst case you're where you would've been if you missed a field goal)

I'd have to believe scenarios 1 and 4 combined provide a better chance to win than 2 and 3 combined.

and of course you're going against what had been up until last night a fairly horrible defense, and you have an NFL quarterback on your side

Bachman's block was right up there with Willie Idlette's in the ACC championship

N&O is a bunch of state loving turds. “State’s chances at history” give me a break. I mean technically everything is history I guess but best case scenario for State was being the team with the least losses among a pile of teams wayyy behind Clemson. That #14 ranking was nuts.

To be fair, N&O is the local newspaper for State haha.

Who was the idiot at State who planned a blackout for the Wake game?

Not going to lie, I got the teams confused a few times last night.

My State friend told me he likes the black. I told him the only colors State should be allowed are red, white and brick red.

Not going to lie, I got the teams confused a few times last night.

My State friend told me he likes the black. I told him the only colors State should be allowed are red, white and brick red.

Their memories of all black will not be so pleasant from now on...Wakewannabes

This is for whoever said that Glenn had been terrible all season:

Wake Forest safety Cam Glenn was all over the field last night. Did you know his SEASON high in TFLs was 3.5 last year? The dude had FOUR last night against the Pack. 11 tackles, 4 TFLs, first career sack and 2 pass breakups — what a night for the senior safety.

from Les Johns

The defense had subtly improved that last couple of weeks. IIRC, WF held Cuse to its second lowest yardage total last week, but the defensive performance was camouflaged by WF 3 TOs. Last night, the defense was outstanding. Lots of energy. Glenn was all over the place. Also, despite being a common target of criticism, Luke Masterson has become a serviceable LB. While many just gave it lip service, a big reason for the defensive struggles was injuries. The D is getting healthier, and players that made mistakes due inexperience early in the season are starting to figure it out. Our defense is far from loaded, but the WF D is light years ahead of where it was a month ago.

Yeah, it was definitely a debatable call either way. Being up 6 as opposed to 3 massively impacts the way you play D.

It also changes the play calls of the offense, as you know a FG or a TD is a good outcome when you are down three. Down by 6 really eliminates some of the playbook. The last two plays we ran we short passes over the middle, which we probably don't run if we have to score a TD.

I don’t think Kemp played last night which means that Strnad, Williams, and Masterson played a helluva (all?) lot of snaps.

This is for whoever said that Glenn had been terrible all season:

from Les Johns

Who claimed that about Glenn? He’s played well all year - he always completes his tackles and hits hard.

Back