• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State game 7:30 Thursday

I would love to see a snap count the last two weeks. My first priority is to see how many snaps Mike Allen played the last two weeks. I thought he got at least two series in the first half and was amazeballs, but do not remember seeing him in the 2nd half.

Also wondering how many defensive starters are playing 100% of the snaps. I believe Strnad, Masterson, Bassey, and Henderson played every single snap. Henderson has taken some heat on here, but I have a feeling he played hurt when he was playing earlier in the season. He has been very good the last few weeks and that touchdown pass breakup was huge. Our corner play is just so much better when he and Bassey are both on the field. Really wanted that INT for Taylor as I feel like some of his inconsistency is due to confidence (lack thereof).

Also curious to see how many snaps Zeek and Yarbary have been taking.

Taylor’s problem is that he takes bad angles. In coverage and in pursuit. That should improve with practice as he just hasn’t adjusted to the relative speed of opposing players.

Taylor’s problem is that he takes bad angles. In coverage and in pursuit. That should improve with practice as he just hasn’t adjusted to the relative speed of opposing players.

His coverage was really really good on the 4th and 3 and I hope that calms him down some going forward. I believe he has suffered because he had to play too many snaps too early in his career and now he is in his head too much. Really hoping that 4th and 3 blanket coverage helps his confidence. Now - big secret - it actually was a sucky throw by Finley in that he didn't give his receiver a chance to fight Taylor for the ball, but at least Taylor was there.

It was funny, after watching the highlights, Henderson did get burned three or four times last night. One time he simply slipped making his break on the throw, but still, our opponents essentially attack whomever Bassey is not covering right now - though Bassey is prone to give up the 4-6 yard out (oddly, he is great at breaking thru blocking and tackling on those receiver screen passes).

One more observation on this game - I am pretty sure that the scorekeepers were fucking with the clock in the 4th quarter. Unless college football has stopped stopping the clock on a first down until the first down chain is moved (have they?), the clock was NOT stopping on first downs.

It was fucking beautiful that State only had 30 seconds left. If they hadn't have fucked with the clock, they'd have probably had 60 to 90 seconds.

I was 14, watching at home, and remember specifically thinking at half, "well, 24-0 will make for a great comeback..."

I was at the game. I had my head buried in my hands for 20 minutes.

One more observation on this game - I am pretty sure that the scorekeepers were fucking with the clock in the 4th quarter. Unless college football has stopped stopping the clock on a first down until the first down chain is moved (have they?), the clock was NOT stopping on first downs.

It was fucking beautiful that State only had 30 seconds left. If they hadn't have fucked with the clock, they'd have probably had 60 to 90 seconds.
The refs are very quick to wind the clock on first downs now. I've noticed at home games that they rarely wait for the chains to get set.

Likely a response to so many teams going up tempo and an effort to move games along quicker.

Their memories of all black will not be so pleasant from now on...Wakewannabes

Amen! What in the hell did State think they were doing with the black uniforms? Were black uniforms supposed to confuse us? Didn't work did it?

Very likely they burned the black uni's and helmets last night.

Serves them right to try to steal the Deacs' colors!:p

Where is RacerDeac and the other dick heads who post around here when things are shitty? It's hard for them to show happiness or excitement. SAD
#FakeNews.

I've been bullish on Clawson and the football Deacs all season. Go check the preseason prediction thread. I'm only negative about our shitty basketball program, because, well, it's really shitty. Reality is a thing. It's ok to be negative about negative things. You might even say it's normal.

From the same thread where you asked whether football or basketball would win more...

I'm feeling bullish at 8. Maybe it's just nice to have a program where hope for good things is actually justified by past results, an excellent staff and recruiting momentum.

Last edited:
#FakeNews.

I've been bullish on Clawson and the football Deacs all season. Go check the preseason prediction thread. I'm only negative about our shitty basketball program, because, well, it's really shitty. Reality is a thing. It's ok to be negative about negative things. You might even say it's normal.

From the same thread where you asked whether football or basketball would win more...

Glad you could stop by. Touché and Go Deacs

I thought I was going crazy watching the game so I didn’t say anything. Even though I watch more college football than anyone I know, I figured I had something messed up bc the rules change so often. Thank you for saying this.

Not going to lie, I got the teams confused a few times last night.

My State friend told me he likes the black. I told him the only colors State should be allowed are red, white and brick red.

Schools that don’t wear their school colors should automatically lose every time. Karma.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article221408030.html More post mortem for State

That type of play wasn’t called against Wake on Thursday in the Deacs’ end of the field. With a chance to close out the game on fourth-and-3 from Wake’s 20-yard line with 1:43 left, Finley threw to freshman receiver Thayer Thomas. On the previous possession, Finley took a deep shot to sophomore receiver C.J. Riley on fourth down instead of looking for Harmon. “We had two play-calls for (Harmon) down there and both times we couldn’t get the ball to him,” Doeren said of a red-zone possession that ended with a 23-yard field goal at 3:40 in the third quarter.

Doeren said Harmon was held in the end zone by a Wake defender on one of the plays. Tight end Cary Angeline dropped a pass in the end zone on the same series. It was one of four drops by N.C. State in the game. That drive ended with a 23-yard field goal by Chris Dunn, one of three by the freshman kicker from inside of 30 yards.
“We had plenty of other chances to put that game away,” Doeren said. “They made more plays than us. That’s really what it comes down to.”
The sixth-year coach is right and that has nothing to do with curses or the cosmos and everything to do with letting a once-in-a-lifetime chance slip right through their hands.

Last edited:
Back