• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State game 7:30 Thursday

For us to even stay in the game, we have to be incredibly successful in the run game (against a D that gives up only 92 yards a game). Run run run. With Newman's size I see a bunch of QB runs and hopefully we don't have to throw the ball much with him aside from occasional short throws to Dortch and some deep balls to keep their D honest. If Newman has to air it out (20+ throws), that is a bad sign.

Who am I kidding, this will be ugly.

A consistent run game with long sustained drives is the only hope. Add some short screens to Dortch as well. We definitely need to ditch tempo though.

A consistent run game with long sustained drives is the only hope. Add some short screens to Dortch as well. We definitely need to ditch tempo though.

I don't see Wake slowing down the pace of the offense. It didn't happen when Sam took over. I don't think it will happen now.

Clawson has said very recently that he has thought long and hard about slowing down the pace. When the offense is rolling with Hartman, it's because they go fast (which is very apparent). He mentions it limits the pass rush. If he were to slow it down, it would be for this game due to injuries and Newman at QB.

Agreed.

Only I don't expect us to ditch tempo... Which is why I think we'll get blown out.

The only thing that gives me pause is that everyone seems to agree that we'll get blown out. Maybe we see a 40-24 kind of outcome where we cover, but the outcome is never really in doubt. Tough to want to wager on the Deacs here.

Clawson has said very recently that he has thought long and hard about slowing down the pace. When the offense is rolling with Hartman, it's because they go fast (which is very apparent). He mentions it limits the pass rush. If he were to slow it down, it would be for this game due to injuries and Newman at QB.

Sure sure. It slows down the pass rush. That’s why Hartman hasn’t been taking a beating and he isn’t out for the year.

I will be in Raleigh with some family. I am not looking forward to this...

Appy St. is going to start scheduling us for their homecoming games! :) But, seriously... i'm guessing 52 - 10 tonight. The D will make them kick at least one FG.

I think any statement saying our OL sucks is an argument FOR tempo. Our OL was so highly touted coming into the season because the tempo-scheme gives us the best opportunity to alleviate any weaknesses our OL have this year. The defense cannot sub, get set, and it is difficult to send blitzes. Pretty much Clawson is having to choose between two evils.

Are we sure Newman is starting and not Hinton? Apologies if it's been confirmed somewhere.

Claw also said that he expected Hinton to be available. Got the sense that they will run some plays for him at QB.

Fearing early TOs by the offense with an inexperienced QB will lead to an ugly final. The defense has improved slightly. Kind of sad, but WF's best hope is to go super conservative, rely on the run, make State earn every point and hope State gets sloppy with TOs and penalties. Even with that Gameplan hard to see a scenario where WF wins unless State completely implodes. Far better WF teams have lost at Carter-Finley.

The line is now State -18 (69). 44-26 final. Think its more like State gets to 44 than WF gets to 26.

This will not be a fun game for Deacon fans. Plan to be watching the Panthers tonight. #fairweatherfan #wfuweatherisneverfair

Claw also said that he expected Hinton to be available. Got the sense that they will run some plays for him at QB.

Fearing early TOs by the offense with an inexperienced QB will lead to an ugly final. The defense has improved slightly. Kind of sad, but WF's best hope is to go super conservative, rely on the run, make State earn every point and hope State gets sloppy with TOs and penalties. Even with that Gameplan hard to see a scenario where WF wins unless State completely implodes. Far better WF teams have lost at Carter-Finley.

The line is now State -18 (69). 44-26 final. Think its more like State gets to 44 than WF gets to 26.

State is very good at stopping the run and commits to it. Going to have to make some plays in the passing game.

If Hinton is indeed healthy, I expect to see him playing before the end of the 1st qtr tonight. I just don't think Newman is the answer...maybe he proves me wrong.

I hope one of our remaining QBs play well in these last 3 games so we can go into the off-season with a QB-battle so we have something to talk about in the spring/summer. This is a new LOWF variable to implement.

Disagree.

As we've seen, give a DL time to get set and our OL is dead meat. Gotta go fast and hope for the best.

Why don't we reserve tempo for decent/big yardage plays? No reason to run tempo after a short incomplete pass or run for no gain on 1st down. Also, if our D has to play a ton of snaps, we're screwed either way.

Disagree.

As we've seen, give a DL time to get set and our OL is dead meat. Gotta go fast and hope for the best.

no way - as others have said, if we go fast, our defense has absolutely no chance

further, playing fast has seemed to wear down Hartman, causing more physical and mental mistakes from him; I would assume we'll see the same, only worse, from Newman playing his first game

we're going to lose this game to fall to 1-16 in Raleigh since Mondale lost to Reagan

in my mind the only (extremely unlikely) path to victory is to slow the game down, hope the defense plays its best game of the season, and count on Dortch to be great on special teams

Back