• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State game 7:30 Thursday

DeacAssured

Reaction score
WF hasn’t had an earth shattering upset in awhile so we’re due especially playing in state. Plenty of reasons for no upset but what are the reasons for an upset?

We’ve got three very good RBs, two of whom are playing in their home state with lots to prove. Both QBs are playing in their home state with passion to play well near their old turf. Coach is so dang mad about the quick turnaround he’s liable to channel that intensity into a winning game plan. If our OL plays tough then Deacs can do some damage on the ground. DL keeps improving but DC is going to have to do a better job of dialing up the schemes. Dortch, Washington and Bachman have a lot more to accomplish this season as well.

I will be there. Another reason for an upset is State doesn't show up thinking it is a Saturday game and they forfeit.

In the last 34 years, we’ve won once in Raleigh, thanks primarily to Sam Swank’s boot.

I can’t imagine a scenario where we collect another victory on Thursday.

This game should start getting ugly no later than 5 minutes into the third quarter. We are depleted and I am sure any little nick or bruise, Clawson will sit players and gear up for Pitt and Duke.

NCSU -17

I hate to say it, but that sounds a little low given our QB situation. No confidence that we'll put up enough points to keep it close to that number.

If we end up winning this game, I can't wait for all of the second guessing as to why Clawson hasn't been playing XX at QB the entire season. #ShouldHaveBeenInTheOrangeBowl

If we end up winning this game, I can't wait for all of the second guessing as to why Clawson hasn't been playing XX at QB the entire season. #ShouldHaveBeenInTheOrangeBowl

Good news is that if we finish strong with Newman, we can probably look forward to another real QB competition between he and Hartman this offseason. If not, then we know (almost) undoubtedly that Hartman is the guy for the foreseeable future.

Hate to say it but we’re gonna lose by 20+. It’s more a product of the injuries we’ve sustained than anything, but it is what it is.

We're going to get crushed. I can't believe people have seen Hartman play this year and think there will be any QB controversy until he graduates.

We're going to get crushed. I can't believe people have seen Hartman play this year and think there will be any QB controversy until he graduates.

Sam has done great for a true freshman, but he’s had plenty of struggles too. To say it’s a given there won’t be any QB controversy until he graduates is a bit of a stretch.

Will we use any redshirts in our final games, since they can play without losing their shirts?

Will we use any redshirts in our final games, since they can play without losing their shirts?

Bothroyd has played in 2, will only play in 2 of last 3 to preserve his redshirt (and he's looked decent in limited action).

Blake Whiteheart is getting used on special teams, Courtney McKinney too (I think). I'm guessing we'll see JaCorey Johns. Mike Edwards could be on PAT/FG, probably the only OL with a chance. Peyton Woulard and Marquis Alston are hurt. Zion Keith is basically the 5th corner, and they only play 3. Not sure any of the receivers will see the field because the guys in front of them seem healthy.

Hartman, Sciba, Smenda, Greer and Bergan are the ones who have played in more than 4, for the record. Think that covers things.

Bothroyd has played in 2, will only play in 2 of last 3 to preserve his redshirt (and he's looked decent in limited action).

Blake Whiteheart is getting used on special teams, Courtney McKinney too (I think). I'm guessing we'll see JaCorey Johns. Mike Edwards could be on PAT/FG, probably the only OL with a chance. Peyton Woulard and Marquis Alston are hurt. Zion Keith is basically the 5th corner, and they only play 3. Not sure any of the receivers will see the field because the guys in front of them seem healthy.

Hartman, Sciba, Smenda, Greer and Bergan are the ones who have played in more than 4, for the record. Think that covers things.

thanks.

Kudos to State they have a great team. Gonna be an ANOTHER ass kicking. Can't imagine how excited they are to finally have a night game in Carter Finley. Oh and fuck State. O/U on how many times that fucking wolf will be howling.

Sam has done great for a true freshman, but he’s had plenty of struggles too. To say it’s a given there won’t be any QB controversy until he graduates is a bit of a stretch.

There wasn't any real controversy (boards controversy doesn't count) this year, and he was a true freshman. Of course he's struggled at times - sometimes the mistakes were his, sometimes a weak offensive line, sometimes a non-existent defense asked too much of the offense.

And hey, I'd love for that post to look idiotic after Newman wins all 3 games to close out the year and Wake makes a bowl game. But Hartman is a complete quarterback who will only get better. His numbers were eye-popping at times and he can make all kinds of throws. He can run it. He'll get better at reading the RPO. People are talking as if this year's offense was some kind of disaster - just eliminate the injuries to our defense and we maybe beat BC and FSU despite all his "struggles."

If recruiting is going so well elsewhere that Clawson manages to recruit over Hartman - that would be a great problem to have. I assume we'd be fighting for an ACC title at that point.

Back