• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Election Day 2018

Took me 12-15 minutes to vote, but would have been half that time had 1 scanner not gone down. Turnout seems good.

I love my voting location. Elementary school that is on my usual commute and I go first thing. Takes three minutes.

Shocking to no one, but reports of broken voting machines and 4+ hour waits in heavily AA precincts in Georgia.

Last edited:
Shocking to no one, but reports of broken voting machines and 4+ hour waits in heavily AA precincts in Georgia.

So are we pushing the GOP intentionally bringing down voting machines in order to sabotage the AA vote conspiracy theory?

:tinfoilhat:

So are we pushing the GOP intentionally bringing down voting machines in order to sabotage the AA vote conspiracy theory?

Or just like not providing the same resources to each voting site.

More like intentional neglect of AA districts and refusing to establish more polling places in AA areas to alleviate lines. I'm sure the lily white areas of Georgia have plenty of convenient polling stops and no lines.

I mean there is no question they are sabotaging the AA vote, it’s been well documented. Would it surprise you if they purposely didn’t send enough voting machines to certain precincts, or maybe even didn’t fix ones that might be broken? Seems a lot less blatant than some of the other stuff they’ve done (selectively close voting locations, huge purges of predominantly and disproportionately AA voters, etc)

Its election day and irony twitter is at maximum power
48a42a3c7d213b878d9e5a759a2b2e46.jpg

At a slow polling place at a rec center with a dog park. A woman in her early to mid 20s was taking her dog and we asked her if she had voted. She said no because she doesn’t know who to vote for. We gave her the local Dem info sheets and told her about Ballotpedia and some other non-partisan sites. Then she asked “Is this the last day we can vote?” To which we said, “Yes. It’s Election Day.” in the nicest way possible. I gave her my phone to look up her polling place and she’s planning on voting.

Another funny story is we are beside a Muslim guy who is working for one of the Republicans running for city council. My friend gave him fliers from a Muslim group who has recommendations for each race who are mostly Democrats. The Muslim guy texted his brothers a picture of the flyer and is trying to get them to vote for Gillum and Nelson.

By the way, I’m pretty sure these local Pubs are paying minorities to show up and work the polls.

You do realize they tried to close polling places in predominantly black counties due to ADA.

So yes, I believe people are doing what they’ve been trying to do.

When do you think voter suppression stopped?

By the way, I’m pretty sure these local Pubs are paying minorities to show up and work the polls.

Minorities get to cash checks from Trump and Soros? #Reverseracism

At a slow polling place at a rec center with a dog park. A woman in her early to mid 20s was taking her dog and we asked her if she had voted. She said no because she doesn’t know who to vote for. We gave her the local Dem info sheets and told her about Ballotpedia and some other non-partisan sites. Then she asked “Is this the last day we can vote?” To which we said, “Yes. It’s Election Day.” in the nicest way possible. I gave her my phone to look up her polling place and she’s planning on voting.

Another funny story is we are beside a Muslim guy who is working for one of the Republicans running for city council. My friend gave him fliers from a Muslim group who has recommendations for each race who are mostly Democrats. The Muslim guy texted his brothers a picture of the flyer and is trying to get them to vote for Gillum and Nelson.

OFFS- I know that we are all tuned in to this stuff (obviously as we are posting on an 'Election Day 2018' thread on an internet message board), but I am constantly amazed how completely oblivious some people are. Like I would kill to walk a day in their brain, just be completely oblivious to it all, and understand what exactly occupies their mindspace. It's just amazing-

Yeah most of the time I roll my eyes at the "suppressing the vote" but Georgia is a well-documented example of either willful neglect or intentional efforts to depress the minority vote. Frankly, Kemp and the rest of the Georgia GOP hasn't even really denied it.

OFFS- I know that we are all tuned in to this stuff (obviously as we are posting on an 'Election Day 2018' thread on an internet message board), but I am constantly amazed how completely oblivious some people are. Like I would kill to walk a day in their brain, just be completely oblivious to it all, and understand what exactly occupies their mindspace. It's just amazing-

While canvassing on Saturday we talked to a 23 year old Latina (who was in our turf packet, so presumably registered D), and when we asked if Elaine and Kaine could count on her vote on Tuesday she was just like, "No, I'm not voting." We were both caught a little off guard but were kind of like, well, are there any issues you care about or anything we could talk to you about? And she's just like, no, I'm not interested.

michelle-obama-eye-roll.gif

Back