• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Election Day 2018

OFFS- I know that we are all tuned in to this stuff (obviously as we are posting on an 'Election Day 2018' thread on an internet message board), but I am constantly amazed how completely oblivious some people are. Like I would kill to walk a day in their brain, just be completely oblivious to it all, and understand what exactly occupies their mindspace. It's just amazing-

And this is often at least half the make-up of juries because most busy folks try to get out of it.

My assistant has never bothered to register to vote after returning to VA over a decade ago. I've asked her about it several times, and she says she just doesn't keep up with the issues - although we're both being directly affected by the ACA and then Trump's war on the ACA. At least she hates Trump. My family is the opposite - they do vote Pub and mostly like or tolerate Trump more than they do Dems. I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving.

While canvassing on Saturday we talked to a 23 year old Latina (who was in our turf packet, so presumably registered D), and when we asked if Elaine and Kaine could count on her vote on Tuesday she was just like, "No, I'm not voting." We were both caught a little off guard but were kind of like, well, are there any issues you care about or anything we could talk to you about? And she's just like, no, I'm not interested.

michelle-obama-eye-roll.gif

People this stupid shouldn't vote.

Got my absentee vote in a week ago. Probably could have been in and out in 10 seconds if I had showed up in person at 6 am-no close races in my district (VA-4).

But they do. And their mush minds are warped by Fox News or Facebook and that’s how you get trumpism.

One of my friends posted this today:

Not voting says:
1) You don’t feel like any of this affects you so it doesn’t matter, even though it absolutely does.
2) You don’t care about the people who are more directly affected and your privilege is showing.
3) You don’t care about the people who were beaten and killed to earn You this incredible right.

Go. Vote.

My precinct was a cluster fuck - huge lines and a geriatric woman manning my line. It took me an hour to vote, but people in the L-Z line were in and out in 40 minutes. There are also three precincts voting within a mile of each other on a one lane road. Of course there is a roundabout in the middle (right where my precinct was voting).

I'm volunteering to help next year. Guarantee those lines will move at a faster pace.

Last edited:
Number 2 I feel is a big one, if you are comfortable in life, especially as a white male, most things have a minor consequence to you, my taxes go up some or down some no real biggie, the reason why Palmas crumbs were such a bullshit argument. However if you are a minority or gay or any other disenfranchised group, then voting has a huge impact on you and your life so go vote for them. The only good thing I can vote on is to finally get a fucking decent Brunch with alcohol around here on Sundays.

Not voting says:
1) You don’t feel like any of this affects you so it doesn’t matter, even though it absolutely does.
2) You don’t care about the people who are more directly affected and your privilege is showing.
3) You don’t care about the people who were beaten and killed to earn You this incredible right.

Go. Vote.

4) You are really dumb ... and we appreciate you not screwing things up for everyone else.

To be fair, there's plenty of stupid all along the political spectrum.

At a slow polling place at a rec center with a dog park. A woman in her early to mid 20s was taking her dog and we asked her if she had voted. She said no because she doesn’t know who to vote for. We gave her the local Dem info sheets and told her about Ballotpedia and some other non-partisan sites. Then she asked “Is this the last day we can vote?” To which we said, “Yes. It’s Election Day.” in the nicest way possible. I gave her my phone to look up her polling place and she’s planning on voting.

Another funny story is we are beside a Muslim guy who is working for one of the Republicans running for city council. My friend gave him fliers from a Muslim group who has recommendations for each race who are mostly Democrats. The Muslim guy texted his brothers a picture of the flyer and is trying to get them to vote for Gillum and Nelson.

By the way, I’m pretty sure these local Pubs are paying minorities to show up and work the polls.

And there you are doing it for free. Bad financial decision.

Sign posted by a local church serving as a polling place:

45474930_10216900783022131_7298383289813827584_n.jpg

Turnout in my county just passed 2014 by percentage, polls stay open until 7:30 tonight.

Not voting says:

Go. Vote.

Most people who don't vote would have voted against their own best self interests if they had shown up, so in a way they are doing themselves a favor by staying home.

Apologies if this was posted earlier, but Axl posted a much more thorough case for Dems a couple of days ago. Thread:

Think that GA gubernatorial race may end up like the infamous Gore/Bush 2000 election with the courts reviewing rejected ballots long after the election, and lots of bad feelings.

Not voting says:

Go. Vote.

Dealing with everything by stress eating halloween candy at work, LadyDeac03, wanna give some info on who to vote for in the District?

Apologies if this was posted earlier, but Axl posted a much more thorough case for Dems a couple of days ago. Thread:

Also saw this earlier. AMAZin'

Dealing with everything by stress eating halloween candy at work, LadyDeac03, wanna give some info on who to vote for in the District?

Yeah, I'm definitely not doing my best work today.

What ward are you in? I'm most familiar with Ward 5 races.

Back