• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Election Day 2018

Thanks! Could you post the charts in here?

Erin Nowell ('00) is one of the judges who flipped the 5th.
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news...other-tales-of-segregation-in-dallas-11361198

She's one of three black women I know from growing up, college, and my early time in Tampa who ran for office this cycle. One lost a run-off for judge in Gwinnett County, GA. Another lost 54-46 in a run off for mayor of Sanford, FL against a two-term incumbent. Very impressive for a hometown girl making her first run for office.

Last edited:
Erin Nowell ('00) is one of the judges who flipped the 5th.
https://www.dallasobserver.com/news...other-tales-of-segregation-in-dallas-11361198

She's one of three black women I know from growing up, college, and my early time in Tampa who ran for office this cycle. One lost a run-off for judge in Gwinnett County, GA. Another lost 54-46 in a run off for mayor of Sanford, FL against a two-term incumbent. Very impressive for a hometown girl making her first run for office.

Go Deacs!

This is where Beto's strong race against Cruz really paid off for Texas Democrats. I doubt the Dems would have done so well in these types of races had Beto not been such an unusually strong Dem Senate candidate. If the Dems could put up strong candidates in federal and statewide races in TX on a regular basis, they could continue to make real gains there (and even start winning some of the statewide races eventually. Given Beto's performance, they're not too far from it right now.)

This is where Beto's strong race against Cruz really paid off for Texas Democrats. I doubt the Dems would have done so well in these types of races had Beto not been such an unusually strong Dem Senate candidate. If the Dems could put up strong candidates in federal and statewide races in TX on a regular basis, they could continue to make real gains there (and even start winning some of the statewide races eventually. Given Beto's performance, they're not too far from it right now.)

Right. I think if there's any lesson Democrats learned, it's the importance of having good candidates in every race. You don't know exactly where you can have strong down ballot impacts.

“We got some blow back afterwards but so what? We won,” he said. “I became member of [George W. Bush]'s senior staff. That’s hardly a job for a thug.”
...”For Blakeman, it’s a sign that Florida didn’t fix the lax election policies exposed by the Brooks Brothers Riot.

“They certainly didn’t learn a lesson from it, if we are experiencing the same thing 18 years later,” he said. “The system is still broken.”

But Geller draws a different conclusion.

“The pessimist in me says that maybe those lessons were learned too well by the wrong people for the wrong reasons,” he said. "It worked then and they are thinking it might work well again.””

2018 Senate: How the “Trump Ten” Races Compared to 2016

Interesting analysis comparing the Republican nominees' performance to Trump's in the ten states Trump won that had Dem incumbents.

PA%20RELATIVE%20small.png

Some good stuff there.

DsAtYPEV4AAmkOm.jpg

DsAuCELWsAEONyX.jpg

Lol at the quote from the chair of the OC GOP.

Precisely what happens when you live in the alternate reality of Trump, Hannity and Kellyanne Conway.

Lol at the quote from the chair of the OC GOP.

Precisely what happens when you live in the alternate reality of Trump, Hannity and Kellyanne Conway.

Also, LOL at Fox News. A couple of months or so ago they had a series of articles and stories on their website claiming that many "Real Americans" in CA were sick and tired of living under the "failed" Dem rule in their state, and might vote Republican this year. Those stories have really held up well, haven't they? I doubt Fox will be running any similar CA-themed stories for a good while.

Highland, those stories are all about strengthening brand loyalty among the rubes and maintaining the fantasy that their sad little town is superior to California.

Back