• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

This is just a guess, but 1? Was it against no.2 Miami?

3 total

[] had 2 - #2 Miami (2013) and #4 Duke (2014)
Manning has had 1 - #8 Louisville (2017)

*please note (and this is obvious to most): I don't share these stats as some sort of proxy comparing the overall effectiveness of the coaches

Deeper dive into this... And it is depressing on so many levels.

BZ
Year 1 - 0-1 against Top 10; 0-2 against teams ranked Top 25 at the time we played them (NOTE: How did we only play 2 ranked teams that year and still finish 8-24? Worst season ever)
Year 2 - 0-3; 0-5
Year 3 - 1-2; 2-3
Year 4 - 1-2; 2-4

DM
Year 1 - 0-6; 0-7
Year 2 - 0-2; 1-10
Year 3 - 1-1; 1-7 (NOTE: 1-7 against ranked teams is terrible for a team that made the NCAAs)
Year 4 - 0-3; 0-7

Totals:
BZ - 2-8; 4-14
DM - 1-12; 2-31

My takeaway from this is that we were probably worse in the BZ years, but we played easier schedules (both in OOC and because the ACC was not as deep), BUT holy shit 2-31 against ranked teams in 4 years is terrible for DM.

3 total

[] had 2 - #2 Miami (2013) and #4 Duke (2014)
Manning has had 1 - #8 Louisville (2017)

*please note (and this is obvious to most): I don't share these stats as some sort of proxy comparing the overall effectiveness of the coaches

Wow. I was thinking Duke was ranked around 14th when we beat them. Crazy that they were 4th. That Duke team had many flaws.

I have no idea how I forgot that Louisville game especially considering that was one of the rare occasions I was in attendance during the MannElik era.

BZ
Year 1 - 0-1 against Top 10; 0-2 against teams ranked Top 25 at the time we played them (NOTE: How did we only play 2 ranked teams that year and still finish 8-24? Worst season ever)
Year 2 - 0-3; 0-5
Year 3 - 1-2; 2-3
Year 4 - 1-2; 2-4

DM
Year 1 - 0-6; 0-7
Year 2 - 0-2; 1-10
Year 3 - 1-1; 1-7 (NOTE: 1-7 against ranked teams is terrible for a team that made the NCAAs)
Year 4 - 0-3; 0-7

Totals:
BZ - 2-8; 4-14
DM - 1-12; 2-31

My takeaway from this is that we were probably worse in the BZ years, but we played easier schedules (both in OOC and because the ACC was not as deep), BUT holy shit 2-31 against ranked teams in 4 years is terrible for DM.

Manning is about to be 3-31 after this weekend though!

Should be fun when we lose to State by 30.

cGgZA.jpg

Wow. I was thinking Duke was ranked around 14th when we beat them. Crazy that they were 4th. That Duke team had many flaws.

I have no idea how I forgot that Louisville game especially considering that was one of the rare occasions I was in attendance during the MannElik era.

I like that.

(meh-nail-ick)

Meh, for 9+ years of meh and counting

Nail, for getting nailed by opponents on a consistent basis

Ick, for the icky situation that exists with no end in sight

BZ
Year 2 - 0-3; 0-5
Year 3 - 1-2; 2-3
Year 4 - 1-2; 2-4

DM
Year 1 - 0-6; 0-7
Year 2 - 0-2; 1-10
Year 4 - 0-3; 0-7

Totals:
BZ - 2-8; 4-14
DM - 1-12; 2-31

FYI, this guy, like Manning, coached 33 games against ranked (top 20 in his case) teams. He won 4, which is bad, but better than 2

maxresdefault.jpg

What bothers me is that most of the time, the highlight for me at our home games is when I go through the student ticket line and the LJVM staff try and redirect me to the non-student lines. They always say "Sir, this line is only for students, you need to use one of the other lines for admission." Pulling out my WFU Student ID and the staff's subsequent apologies is usually the best part of the game for me.

I hope Montegomery is enjoying riding the pine.
He's the exact type of player that believed he could be a one and done, talks himself into committing to Kentucky and transfers after sophomore year - Kyle Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Charles Matthews, Quade Green.

He's the exact type of player that believed he could be a one and done, talks himself into committing to Kentucky and transfers after sophomore year - Kyle Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Charles Matthews, Quade Green.

No matter how disappointing he is, we could have used him underneath.

But I understand why we weren’t really an option.

No matter how disappointing he is, we could have used him underneath.

But I understand why we weren’t really an option.
You misunderstand me, i'm not critisizing his talent. I think E.J. could have a great college career, and I think he would have been much better off committing to a school where he didnt need to excel immediately to get playing time.

You misunderstand me, i'm not critisizing his talent. I think E.J. could have a great college career, and I think he would have been much better off committing to a school where he didnt need to excel immediately to get playing time.

Yeah, I was just making a comment. I agree with you. Some guys aren’t meant for Duke or UK (or even Nova, apparently).

Was just messing around with Kenpom (I have insomnia due to taking a steroid for a sinus infection... It’s been an awesome week of 4am productivity).

Tim Miles has Nebraska rolling.

Always thought of as a good coach, but was on the hot seat there as he struggled for years to get it going. 6th year was good. Year 7 off to a great start.

Just seems like an unusual ride.

Brad Brownell is another guy who hasn’t done much in the postseason, but his record of success over 9 years at Clemson is pretty consistent. No real breakout highs, but no disasters, either.

What I guess I’m saying is Danny Manning sucks as a head coach and I’m depressed about how shitty we are at basketball.

Merry Christmas

Back