• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Not just any kid. He was a kid that was supposed to be HS class of 2019; however, Duke convinced to skip his senior year of high school and enroll a year early. Then they decide he should just redshirt the year to get stronger and what not. And now they burn his eligibility to play a few minutes a game right at the end of the season? Of all the low, manipulative things Coach K has done, this has to be one of his lowest.

It's low but not as low as petitioning the NCAA to get the losses off his record and sending Gaudet to a Siberian gulag.

Dekin, Duke is a 1 seed as long as Zion is playing. Zion says he's coming back. They may rest him for Wake and Miami to make sure he's ready for UNC, but I expect him back for that game and the ACC tourney. And I doubt they lose more than 1 game before the NCAA tourney. Same with UVA and Gonzaga considering their remaining schedules. That will leave it between Ky and Mich for the last #1 seed.

UNC beats dook with Zion, and gets to the finals of ACC tourney they will be hard to deny for a 1 seed.

This Wisconsin/Indiana game is going to be the game that gets me to stop watching college BB. Bad play, terrible officiating, just awful. NBA is just such a better product.

That game was an abomination, somewhere in east Texas a small man wearing a puke colored tie was furiously doing the five finger shuffle to that game.

UNC beats dook with Zion, and gets to the finals of ACC tourney they will be hard to deny for a 1 seed.

Which sucks because as TUA noted they got lucky as fuck with their schedule. No VT, UVa, Syracuse or FSU on the road. Maybe they win two of those? Maybe? And they didn't even get Duke at full strength at Cameron

The kid got 1 minute last night. That makes 26 DNP's and 6 minutes played for the season. Certainly worth skipping your senior year of high school, and burning 1 year of college eligibility for.

He should have come to Wake to play a shit ton, yet see his draft status plummet.

Baker gets shit on so hard. Not only everything mentioned above, but every time you see an article about Duke's Freshmen class it has pictures and stories about the main 4 - Jones, Barrett, Zion, and Reddish. Yet, Baker is never brought up in these articles, never in any pictures. His own school and the national media shit on the kid. Perfect lesson for why kids who are 4-stars shouldn't join a Duke class with a bunch of 5 stars. Go somewhere else.
'

Even Ray Jackson got treated better than that.

Reading the Gatto sentencing memo, it seems Louisville basketball can expect more penalties coming their way. Possible that they face a big reduction in scholarships sooner than later.

Per KP, UVA has played the toughest ACC Schedule. UNC #14. Only FSU has played an easier conference schedule.

It's low but not as low as petitioning the NCAA to get the losses off his record and sending Gaudet to a Siberian gulag.

Dekin, Duke is a 1 seed as long as Zion is playing. Zion says he's coming back. They may rest him for Wake and Miami to make sure he's ready for UNC, but I expect him back for that game and the ACC tourney. And I doubt they lose more than 1 game before the NCAA tourney. Same with UVA and Gonzaga considering their remaining schedules. That will leave it between Ky and Mich for the last #1 seed.
Not so fast. 1 or 2 more losses and Duke is looking up at Carolina and UK in tournament seeding. Duke actually has to win the games on the court, no matter how good Zion and Barrett are.

Not so fast. 1 or 2 more losses and Duke is looking up at Carolina and UK in tournament seeding. Duke actually has to win the games on the court, no matter how good Zion and Barrett are.

Yes they do, and I think they will. Without Williamson, they are extremely vulnerable, especially on the defensive end. Blackshear had a career game against them. Williamson is so valuable to them on the defensive end because he can switch and guard most any position, and he's an eraser on the back end. One of the hallmarks of the old Duke teams is they used to play great man D and especially in overplaying the passing lanes. But when they went to the 1 and dones, their man D really dropped off in many of those years - so much so that Ratface did the unthinkable and started playing zone. This year they don't have to play zone because Jones, Reddish and Barrett are good perimeter defenders, and Zion is a great defender all over the court. And that's what makes this team different from most of the other Duke teams over the last decade or so.

Now I doubt we see Zion against Wake and Miami even if he's healthy, but I believe we'll see him back for UNC and the ACC tourney. And if so, I don't see them losing more than 1 game before the NCAAs. With Zion, they should be the overwhelming favorite to win the natty. I mean they could lose a game late in the tourney if the whole team has an off shooting night, which they've had some this year. But they've already shown twice they're better than UVA, and UVA is just as good as Kentucky, Gonzaga and the Michigan teams. So yeah, they more than deserve to be the #1 overall seed if Zion returns for UNC and the ACC tourney.

Asinine comment, Junebug. As we've been discussing, UVA is 1 of those 8 teams in the top tier of college hoops. They've only lost to Duke. In a 1 and done tournament, anyone can lose to anyone on a given day. But given that there appear to be 8 teams that are in a tier above the rest of the NCAA teams, I expect we'll see as many as 5-6 of those top 8 teams in the elite 8 this year.

Last edited:
Yes they do, and I think they will. Without Williamson, they are extremely vulnerable, especially on the defensive end. Blackshear had a career game against them. Williamson is so valuable to them on the defensive end because he can switch and guard most any position, and he's an eraser on the back end. One of the hallmarks of the old Duke teams is they used to play great man D and especially in overplaying the passing lanes. But when they went to the 1 and dones, their man D really dropped off in many of those years - so much so that Ratface did the unthinkable and started playing zone. This year they don't have to play zone because Jones, Reddish and Barrett are good perimeter defenders, and Zion is a great defender all over the court. And that's what makes this team different from most of the other Duke teams over the last decade or so.

Now I doubt we see Zion against Wake and Miami even if he's healthy, but I believe we'll see him back for UNC and the ACC tourney. And if so, I don't see them losing more than 1 game before the NCAAs. With Zion, they should be the overwhelming favorite to win the natty. I mean they could lose a game late in the tourney if the whole team has an off shooting night, which they've had some this year. But they've already shown twice they're better than UVA, and UVA is just as good as Kentucky, Gonzaga and the Michigan teams. So yeah, they more than deserve to be the #1 overall seed if Zion returns for UNC and the ACC tourney.

If Zion comes back and they lose to UNC and don't win the ACC Tourney and UVA/UNC does, I disagree completely. They wouldn't deserve the 1 seed the ACC is getting.

If Zion comes back and they lose to UNC and don't win the ACC Tourney and UVA/UNC does, I disagree completely. They wouldn't deserve the 1 seed the ACC is getting.

What I'm saying is with a healthy Zion, they're not losing more than 1 game before the NCAAs. But if they were to somehow to lose 2 more before the NCAAs, then yes, it's possible they could lose a 1 seed and go down to a 2. But I just don't see that happening.

We shall see what happens, but Duke beat UVA in C-ville because Duke had their best shooting night of the season. That was an outlier; Duke shot 62% from 3; they are averaging 31% for the season, and UVA plays strong 3 PT D (best in the ACC). Could it happen again? Of course, but even with a healthy Zion, Duke is a slight lean (maybe 2 points) over UVA, but I don't see Duke, when healthy, as significantly better than UVA.

If UVA wins the ACC as is currently projected, Duke would likely need to beat UNC and UVA on back to back nights in the ACC Tourney. I would bet against that happening.

We shall see what happens, but Duke beat UVA in C-ville because Duke had their best shooting night of the season. That was an outlier; Duke shot 62% from 3; they are averaging 31% for the season, and UVA plays strong 3 PT D (best in the ACC). Could it happen again? Of course, but even with a healthy Zion, Duke is a slight lean (maybe 2 points) over UVA, but I don't see Duke, when healthy, as significantly better than UVA.

If UVA wins the ACC as is currently projected, Duke would likely need to beat UNC and UVA on back to back nights in the ACC Tourney. I would bet against that happening.
Does the selection committee even consider the ACC championship game in seeding though?
If Duke and UVA make it to the semis I think they are both locks for #1 seeds, unless
-Carolina knocks Duke out and then wins the ACC
AND
Neither UT or UK make the SEC championship, at which point I think Carolina probably gets a 1 seed over Duke or UK, and since I dont believe the selection committee would give the ACC three #1 seeds, it would probably be Duke that gets bumped.

Last edited:

Yes, Duke shot well here. But the other thing that stood out to me in Duke's victory here was how difficult they made it for UVA to run their offense. They put Reddish and Barrett on Guy and Jerome for a lot of the night, and their length and athleticism really bothered those 2 guys. UVA made a lot of tough shots that night in addition to Duke shooting well. It pains me to say this because I like UVA's basketball team and hate all things Duke, but Duke is just plain better than UVA this year. If they played 10 times, Duke would win 7-8 of those 10.

Back