• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Just an unbelievable loss by Washington last night. Cal had not won a game since December 21. IIRC, the Stanford AD chairs the selection committee, and it always seems like when that happens they find away to protect their conference. That said, even at 22-6 Washington doesn't have much room for error: OOC, Washington's best win is #83 Texas A&M and they are a bottom tier SEC team. Washington also has a loss to Minnesota, and it's looking like the Gophers will finish in the bottom half of the Big 10. The best thing on Washington's resume is a 2 point loss at Gonzaga.

Jay Bilas saying Washington deserved a top 4 seed a few weeks back was a good call

Lots of money swung that line towards Cal, which was weird. I don’t watch much west coast hoops, but it still caught my eye.

Watching Villanova with a nice lead over Butler. It's a Villanova home game. But when I look at the court, I can't find a Villanova Wildcat or Big East logo anywhere. Instead, I see "76ers" everywhere. How is it possible that Villanova won two of the last three Men's Basketball national titles with a "Home Court" that is not on campus, belongs to the pro team, and holds over 20,000? Villanova undergrad enrollment is a little over 6500. Maybe there are things more important than the size of the arena?

I think Nova and several of the Philly 'Big 5' teams used to lay in the Palestra. Haven't checked, but assume it's long gone.
Building an arena in Philly would be pretty expensive. I'm sure it's much cheaper to rent from the Sixers as needed. Also would be cool for the players to regularly play on an NBA court.
And everyone gets all the tickets they want.

The William B. Finneran Pavilion is a 6,500-seat multi-purpose arena in Villanova, Pennsylvania, United States, about 10 miles outside Philadelphia. It was built in 1985, and is home to the Villanova University Wildcats basketball teams.

'nova only plays 6 games at Wells Fargo this year.

Last edited:
Penn men's and women's basketball games, volleyball and wrestling matches are played at the historic Palestra, the most storied gymnasium in the history of collegiate athletics.

The Palestra has hosted more games and more visiting teams than any other facility.

Located on the University of Pennsylvania campus, The Palestra was given its name by Greek professor Dr. William N. Bates, who felt the name logical because in ancient Greece, young men would compete in a variety of events in a rectangular enclosure attached to the gymnasium to the view of all who would come -- a Palestra.

The name was widely accepted by the organizing committee for it fit the specifications: authenticity, dignity, descriptive, and novel. So, in 1927, The Palestra was opened.

Miami down 47-19 at halftime against Duke.

We were more competitive against UVA than Pitt was. I hadn't seen much of them this year but they're awful. The Capels have some recruiting to do. And to think much of their fan base was happy to be rid of Jamie Dixon.

We were more competitive against UVA than Pitt was. I hadn't seen much of them this year but they're awful. The Capels have some recruiting to do. And to think much of their fan base was happy to be rid of Jamie Dixon.
Pitt is still significantly better than us.

Bottom of the ACC is just so bad. Could definitely see Danny getting one last win on ACC Tuesday against the likes of Pitt or Miami before it's see ya later.

Bottom of the ACC is just so bad. Could definitely see Danny getting one last win on ACC Tuesday against the likes of Pitt or Miami before it's see ya later.

we won't play Pitt - looking like we may get GT in the much anticipated 12-13 matchup

Did you see the no call on the last Clemson possession, Mitchell was fouled by BOTH unc players and... no call. They get more pro calls from the refs than even dook does, especially at the end of games. They have absolutely NO reason to ever complain about the refs, none

Did you see the no call on the last Clemson possession, Mitchell was fouled by BOTH unc players and... no call. They get more pro calls from the refs than even dook does, especially at the end of games. They have absolutely NO reason to ever complain about the refs, none

I saw that. It reminded me of every Wake-UNC game in my college years - always a blatant mystery call or two for Carolina, even if they didn't need it. I actually liked UNC until I witnessed how unfairly our basketball games with them were officiated.

Great game by Clemson most of the day. I felt he was out of control and lost control of the ball before he got bumped and the refs didn't reward by bailing him out. I hate UNC as much as anyone but Clemson had several chances to close the deal and shot themselves out of it.

Pitt is still significantly better than us.

We have twice the ACC Ws. Though that's not saying much. Of the teams with bad records, I feel ND has the most cause for optimism going forward. I've only seen Pitt a couple of times, and they are as fugly as we are.

As for the Clemson no call, I can see either position but prefer the no call. Yeah, there was contact, but the guy was out of control, and it was the end of the game where you want to see the zebras swallow their whistles unless it's an obvious call. I also generally prefer games where refs are only calling pretty obvious calls and to let them play.

Somehow if that's Clemson @ UNC -- or the defending team is any team besides UNC or Duke -- I'm guessing the whistle gets blown

Somehow if that's Clemson @ UNC -- or the defending team is any team besides UNC or Duke -- I'm guessing the whistle gets blown

Yes, or if it’s football at Clemson, the whistle damn sure gets blown in Clemson’s favor

Back