• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

And it’s Duke. It will be one of the most coveted jobs in all of sports. Can’t believe it even requires defending.

GT beats State 63-61.
Shot 58% from the field.

I’m amazed at how good FSU has been this season, given how much they lost from last year’s team.

Also surprised that GT got to 6 conference wins with such a shitty roster.

We stink.

I'm not paying attention to the bubble (why would I?), but how will NCSU's prospects look if Ky Bowman beats them Saturday, and then they lose to Clemson to finish 8-10, 20-12? Their best wins are Auburn, Syracuse, and...Penn State?

I'm not paying attention to the bubble (why would I?), but how will NCSU's prospects look if Ky Bowman beats them Saturday, and then they lose to Clemson to finish 8-10, 20-12? Their best wins are Auburn, Syracuse, and...Penn State?

......and a loss to Wake

Their non-conference SOS is in the 350-range, so they were in a bit of trouble if they took any bad losses down the stretch....last night's loss just gives the committee a great excuse to leave them out with that pitiful non-conference schedule. They need to beat BC, beat Clemson in the 8/9, show well against the #1 seed in the quarters (more than likely UVA, who they did take to overtime earlier this year), and then pray for few bid stealers from the smaller conferences.

I’ve watched a lot of State games this season and they just don’t pass the eye test. Even with a win at BC and a first round win over fellow bubble team Clemson, I don’t think they deserve a bid. That being said, I think those two wins may be just enough to secure a last four in for the Pack.

Heading into conference play, State only needed to not throw up on itself to get into the tourney. OOC, they went 12-1, beating Auburn, Penn State (RJ's team) and had a quality close road loss to Wisconsin. Then, in conference play, the Pack managed to lose to WF and GT (at home), and needed OT to beat BC also at home. State has three road wins: Miami, ND and Pitt. If State loses at BC Saturday and loses their ACC Tourney opener to Clemson, they are out. If State beats BC, but loses to Clemson, then are at the mercy of the committee and will be left to hope that the Woffords and Buffalos don't get upset in their conference tourneys.

Realize that by comparison to the WF coaching situation, Keatts seemed like a home-run hire for the Pack, but I remain far from convinced that he is as good as the prevailing perception. State plays sloppy basketball and they have gotten worse as the season has progressed.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting case study for you:

Indiana is 15-14 with a NET of 56. It is 6-9 in quad 1 games, 1-5 in quad 2 games, and 8-0 in quad 3/4 games.

It plays at Illinois tonight and then finishes B1G play at home against Rutgers. If it wins those two, it will be 17-14 heading into the B1G tournament where it would likely play PSU (NET 49), OSU (NET 43) or Minnesota (NET 54). If it wins the opener, and then loses in the B1G quarters against what will likely be Michigan, MSU or Purdue, it will be 18-15.

It would potentially be 7-10 in quad 1 games (I’m assuming the neutral court B1G tournament opener would be quad 1 but it could be quad 2 depending upon who the opponent is and where its NET ends up), 2-5 in quad 2 games, and 9-0 in quad 3/4 games.

Does an 18-15 team with 6 or 7 quad 1 wins get in?

Hoping that Illinois ends the idiocy that somehow has 11th place 6-12 Indiana on the bubble. IU won a single game between January 3 and February 26. Would far prefer to see a deserving mid-major like Furman or Belmont get in than the 11th place team from the Big 10.

Here's an interesting case study for you:

Indiana is 15-14 with a NET of 56. It is 6-9 in quad 1 games, 1-5 in quad 2 games, and 8-0 in quad 3/4 games.

It plays at Illinois tonight and then finishes B1G play at home against Rutgers. If it wins those two, it will be 17-14 heading into the B1G tournament where it would likely play PSU (NET 49), OSU (NET 43) or Minnesota (NET 54). If it wins the opener, and then loses in the B1G quarters against what will likely be Michigan, MSU or Purdue, it will be 18-15.

It would potentially be 7-10 in quad 1 games (I’m assuming the neutral court B1G tournament opener would be quad 1 but it could be quad 2 depending upon who the opponent is and where its NET ends up), 2-5 in quad 2 games, and 9-0 in quad 3/4 games.

Does an 18-15 team with 6 or 7 quad 1 wins get in?

Interesting situation in Bloomington. They have solid wins on paper this season but those quad 2 losses may bite them. If the Big Ten were stronger this year I would definitely give them the nod, and the committees perception of the conferences strength will be the deciding factor for the Hoosiers if they finish their season out strong. They have to beat both Illinois and Rutgers to even have a shot.

I’ve watched a lot of State games this season and they just don’t pass the eye test. Even with a win at BC and a first round win over fellow bubble team Clemson, I don’t think they deserve a bid. That being said, I think those two wins may be just enough to secure a last four in for the Pack.

Agree. This is a year where there are a handful of high major teams that are on the bubble but not impressive at all, and there are more mid-majors who have been pretty impressive. So yeah, I'd rather see Wofford, UNCG and Furman in there than State and Clemson.

Hoping that Illinois ends the idiocy that somehow has 11th place 6-12 Indiana on the bubble. IU won a single game between January 3 and February 26. Would far prefer to see a deserving mid-major like Furman or Belmont get in than the 11th place team from the Big 10.

Most people would agree with that sentiment but there's something like only 12 or 13 teams that have more quad 1 wins than IU.

Will Wade caught on FBI wiretaps.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ch-wade-recorded-discussing-offer/3093352002/

LSU basketball coach Will Wade told recruiting middleman Christian Dawkins about a "hell of an offer" to apparently reel in a top recruit in a phone conversation that was intercepted by the FBI, according to a report from Yahoo! Sports on Thursday afternoon.
According to the report, Wade appeared to be speaking about a third-party's attempts to delay a commitment because "he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal." Wade does not mention the recruit by name, according to Yahoo! Sports, but references it as "the Smart thing."
Javonte Smart, who was a four-star recruit, is now a freshman at LSU.

No way on earth Wade should be coaching right now. He should be gone.

Heard an interesting rumor the other day. Bill Self knows he's in deep trouble at KU and will leave this offseason to replace Pop in San Antonio. Came from source close to KU program

Interesting situation in Bloomington. They have solid wins on paper this season but those quad 2 losses may bite them. If the Big Ten were stronger this year I would definitely give them the nod, and the committees perception of the conferences strength will be the deciding factor for the Hoosiers if they finish their season out strong. They have to beat both Illinois and Rutgers to even have a shot.

The B10 is supposed to be the top conference in the country this year according to KP. No way, short of winning the B10 tourney, IU should even be considered.

Back