• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Wes Miller is a good coach with a high intensity. Woffords coach is good as well. Two very teams. Magee was held in check but some guy named Hoover was clutch for wofford, UNCG has had a good year. Refs did hurt them tonite.

Wofford could pull a Davidson in the tourney. They run their stuff, and can stroke it. They have 3 big guys as well.

UNCG and Furman both deserve NCAA consideration.

Screen_Shot_2019_03_03_at_1.47.37_PM.png

I’m going to be rooting for Wofford in the tourney. A+ student body, with scrappy gym rats with five star hearts on the floor just making it rain. Love it.

The WCC gives the top-2 seeds a bye into the semis, while the rest of the bracket competes "ladder-style" (so #8 Pepperdine played the 9-seed in the 1st round, then played the 5-seed in Round 2 - who got a bye into that round - then played the 4-seed in the 3rd round, who had received a bye into that round).

Juice beat me to it....

Wes Miller is a good coach with a high intensity. Woffords coach is good as well. Two very teams. Magee was held in check but some guy named Hoover was clutch for wofford, UNCG has had a good year. Refs did hurt them tonite.

Wofford could pull a Davidson in the tourney. They run their stuff, and can stroke it. They have 3 big guys as well.

You mean, two very good teams.
Somethin' like that....stay in your lane, bro!

Furman: 55 KP (161 SOS), 41 NET (217 SOS)
UNCG: 81 KP (136 SOS), 58 NET (132 SOS)

For reference, we finished the season ranked 36th KP with a SOS of 25 when we were in the last 4 a couple years ago. That includes the NCAA game, but I assume we weren't much different than that when we were chosen.

I actually think that bracket is fair, the regular season should really mean something, especially in those smaller conferences. It gives the better teams a better chance of the auto bid which they have earned. In a league that only gets a few bids, I like it. In a league such as the ACC where if you have a good regular season you should be in the tournament regardless, it would be unnecessary.

He just said they should be considered, not that they should get in.

Was impressed with both UNCG and Wofford. The latter is the better team, but UNCG hung around for 37:00. I don't get the hate for Miller here - the guy is doing a good job at UNCG, and they did a good job holding Magee in check. I realize they probably won't get a bid, but I am rooting for UNCG and Furman to get bids and for all 3 teams if they are in the tourney. I can't remember the last time the SoCon had 3 teams of this caliber.

Think that Wofford will be the SoCon's only bid, but if a 2nd team gets in, it will be Furman because they have high quality road OOC win at Nova. Furman also has a win at 20 win Loyola Chicago. Even so, the committee usually hoses mid-major teams when handing out at-large bids.

Wofford is up to a 14 in the net rankings. That is 4 seed territory. Will be interesting to see if the committee drops them or keeps them at that level.

The Miller hate stems from DR's obnoxious condescending touting of Wes. Wes deserves to be lauded for building a solid program out of nothing. His kids play hard, and he coaches hard. No question that whatever program he coaches gets his maximum effort. All you can ask. Like him and think that he could be a solid coach on a Power 6 level.

Last edited:
I don't get the hate for Miller here

I don't think anyone hates Miller here. Most seem to feel he's way down the list of qualified applicants for the Wake job and react to DR's posts about him.

I think Belmont has a stronger argument than Furman upon resume review. Two wins over Lipscomb (including one on road) and a convincing road win over Murrraaaayyyy are nice feathers in the ol' cap.

Even one win over Wofford woulda been huge for either Furman or UNCG

We will see on the Belmont v. Furman front. Furman has the higher Net ranking, but its close (41 v. 45), and I realize that Lipscomb and Murray State are good wins, but Furman won on the road at the Big East regular season champion Villanova. Villanova went 13-2 at home this year, including sweeping all conference games at home. The only other team to beat Villanova at Nova was Michigan.

Furman's non-conf SOS may be tough to overcome, just 261. Plus they played 3 D2 schools (Belmont just one) -- not sure how close the committee looks at that but seems like they might get punished for not challenging themselves there

John Brannen's team playing well to get into the tourney. Very strong offense, needs more defense. If we could only take John Brannen's offensive coaching ability and recruiting ability and combine it with Wes Miller's defensive coaching ability, then we would have ....... Nate Oats.

Back