• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Ryan Odom's UMBC team has blown a 26 point lead against the Hawks of Hartford. Headed to OT.

Nice karma given the day's news with a small school taking a spot from a rich underachiever.

Except the committee will probably use this to keep Belmont out.

NC State-Clemson tomorrow. Which one is Olivia Jade and which one is Isabella Rose?

So it turns out that literally every team on the west coast sucks.

So who are the 1-seeds?

UVA
Duke
UNC-CH
UK/Tennessee

????????

So it turns out that literally every team on the west coast sucks.

So who are the 1-seeds?

UVA
Duke
UNC-CH
UK/Tennessee

????????

Hard not to see 3 ACC teams as 1 seeds unless one of the three lose on Thursday. Whoever wins the tournament, if one of those 3, should be the #1 overall seed. I guess the committee could still put Gonzaga as a 1

Think that UVA is a 1 seed no matter what happens in the ACC tournament. If they win the tournament, they are the overall 1 seed.

Assuming that Duke and UNC make it to Friday, the winner of that game is a 1 seed. Don't think the loser of that game is a one seed. If Duke loses to UNC, they would be 4-4 in their last 8. If UNC loses to Duke, they would have 6 losses and would think that if TN or KY wins the SEC Tourney, one of them plus Gonzaga would be the one seeds.

FWIW, just noticed that Texas beat UNC this year. Another reason to like Shaka!

Yeah, on second thought I think Gonzaga still gets a #1 seed despite that embarrassing loss, but will wind up with the top #2 seed in their bracket.

With Zion back Duke should be a #1, but they're now in the position of having to beat UNC-CH to secure it since they've lost 3 of their last 6 without him, including 2 to UNC-CH.

Jeff Capel hired his brother? Srsly?

I hadn't realized this but noticed it when Pitt came to Cville. What's wrong with making his brother his assistant? BTW, I thought it was a nice touch for Pitt to dot the i on their warm-up jerseys with the star of David.

Pilch, yeah, I think Duke may need to win the ACC Tourney to get that #1 seed, or at the very least beat UNC. Which I think they will do with Zion. Still think Gonzaga is in play for a #1 along with the 3 ACC teams and the SEC winner if it's Tenn or UK. And I watched that Texas/UNC game back in November. Texas played well that day. But I would add that Feb-Mar UNC is a significant improvement over Nov-Dec UNC.

Yeah, on second thought I think Gonzaga still gets a #1 seed despite that embarrassing loss, but will wind up with the top #2 seed in their bracket.

With Zion back Duke should be a #1, but they're now in the position of having to beat UNC-CH to secure it since they've lost 3 of their last 6 without him, including 2 to UNC-CH.

They don't normally do this unless the top-4 seeds across all 4 regions are not balancing out, their preference is to go by a straight geographical placement with a few exceptions (i.e., the top #2 seed will never be placed in the same region as the top #1 seed). Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out this year with the dearth of good teams out west and the fact that Ky/Tenn/LSU and UNC/Duke/UVA/possibly FSU will all have to be placed in separate regions since they will be top-4 seeds. The committee did use the S-curve for the #1 and #2 seeds last year, but switched back to geography and conference considerations for the 3/4 seeds.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's too many teams to place in the East and Southeast.

Michigan State still has a shot at a #1 too, or so I'm told.

They don't normally do this unless the top-4 seeds across all 4 regions are not balancing out, their preference is to go by a straight geographical placement with a few exceptions (i.e., the top #2 seed will never be placed in the same region as the top #1 seed). Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out this year with the dearth of good teams out west and the fact that Ky/Tenn/LSU and UNC/Duke/UVA/possibly FSU will all have to be placed in separate regions since they will be top-4 seeds. The committee did use the S-curve for the #1 and #2 seeds last year, but switched back to geography and conference considerations for the 3/4 seeds.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-19/how-field-68-teams-picked-march-madness

Procedures for Placing the Teams into the Bracket

1. The committee will place the four No. 1 seeds in each of the four regions, thus determining the Final Four semifinals pairings (overall 1 vs. 4; 2 vs. 3). The overall No. 1 seed has the opportunity to select its preferred first- and second-round site and preferred region.

2. The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

Last edited:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-march-madness

Procedures for Placing the Teams into the Bracket

1. The committee will place the four No. 1 seeds in each of the four regions, thus determining the Final Four semifinals pairings (overall 1 vs. 4; 2 vs. 3). The overall No. 1 seed has the opportunity to select its preferred first- and second-round site and preferred region.

2. The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

Yeah, that lays it out better than I did....will be tough to balance out those Midwest and West regions this year with so many strong ACC/SEC teams, unless you just completely discount geographical preferences (which they try not to do in consecutive years to the same teams/conferences). For instance, if UNC is the top 2 seed this year and Gonzaga is the worst 1-seed, I would be surprised if they sent UNC out west again since they did that in 2018. Though if UVA is #1 East and Duke is #1 South (or vice versa) then the only choices would be Midwest or West.

did Clemson really just foul 3 times in the last 24 seconds, up 1, to eventually get NCSU shooting free throws for the win?

Including Thomas fouling out?

Back