• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Zion's post game interview was perfect.

Couldn't give a shit about winning the ACC tourney, nor beating UNC.

Dude is just counting the days until his Nike bonus kicks in. I kind of respect it.

everyone making the agrument that he actually is playing because of his care for a run....remember why he chose duke over Clemson..."this was a business decision"

LOL. Dude is happy to be playing again. Had to be killing him not to play.

Zion is incredible. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a freshman with that combination of instincts, IQ, and athleticism plus he’s very likable. Amazing. I’m going to be sad if he ends up in Cleveland or the Lakers. I hope he gets a good situation to flourish with a team I don’t hate, preferably the Hawks.

Barrett and Reddish are high lottery picks and they just look like guys who should pass the ball to Zion more.

I think Lebron might have had a season like Zion if he played a year in college, but he probably would not have been quite as impressive as Zion.

LOL. Dude is happy to be playing again. Had to be killing him not to play.

Zion is incredible. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a freshman with that combination of instincts, IQ, and athleticism plus he’s very likable. Amazing. I’m going to be sad if he ends up in Cleveland or the Lakers. I hope he gets a good situation to flourish with a team I don’t hate, preferably the Hawks.

Barrett and Reddish are high lottery picks and they just look like guys who should pass the ball to Zion more.

Yep, agree with everything you said about Zion. He’s awesome. The more I watch Barrett, the less I’d want him on my team. Something with his shot, looks hitchy

My Retrievers are on ESPN2 taking on Vermont in the American East championship.

Does Odom pull the upset and get them back to the Dance? If so, do they beat another 1 seed? If so, would Wake hire him?

I think Lebron might have had a season like Zion if he played a year in college, but he probably would not have been quite as impressive as Zion.
oh ffs

Yep, agree with everything you said about Zion. He’s awesome. The more I watch Barrett, the less I’d want him on my team. Something with his shot, looks hitchy

Yeah, I don’t love barrett’s game.

You can't be serious. As much fun as Zion is, Lebron was far ahead of him. As a rookie, Lebron averaged 20.9/5.5./5.9. Think of what he would have done in college.

Curious, who were the big college stars during lebron’s rookie year

Curious, who were the big college stars during lebron’s rookie year

2004 consensus All-Americans

Andre Emmett G Senior Texas Tech
Ryan Gomes F Junior Providence
Jameer Nelson G Senior Saint Joseph's
Emeka Okafor C Junior Connecticut
Lawrence Roberts F Junior Mississippi State

If they make it in they should be a 16. Based on the metrics of teams in, they'd be lucky to avoid the play in (but with 20+ wins and their 16 v. 1 rep from last year probably would avoid it).

On the flip side Vermont is a 13 or 14 seed.

You can't be serious. As much fun as Zion is, Lebron was far ahead of him. As a rookie, Lebron averaged 20.9/5.5./5.9. Think of what he would have done in college.

Zion averages 22 pts, 9 rebs, 2 stls, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. He only plays 28 minutes per game and is paired with a guy that takes a lot of shots. Zion shoots 70%! from the floor.

As a college-to-pros comparison, Durant averaged 26 pts, 11 rebs, 2 stls, 1 asst, and 2 blocks in his one year. But he played 36 mpg and shot 50% from the floor. The next year, in the NBA he averaged 20 pts, 4 rebs, 2 stls, 2 blocks, and 1 assist.

Look at any advanced stat, and Zion is through the roof (PER, win share, offensive rating, effective FG, etc).

Lebron averaged almost the same in the NBA. As to shooting percentage, given the number of dunks and layups, it should be that high. Zion is a great college player, but he's not Lebron.

Yeah, I'll back off on that a bit - I phrased it poorly (phrasing!). How's this - Lebron would have had a year like Zion had he played a year in college.

Lebron averaged almost the same in the NBA. As to shooting percentage, given the number of dunks and layups, it should be that high. Zion is a great college player, but he's not Lebron.

Correct, he is almost certainly not going to have a career like Lebron - no one does. But I think Zion could have an incredibly impressive rookie year next year, based on what I've seen in his college games.

As a comparison, look at Blake Griffin. He averaged 22 and 14 his second year at OU and then 22 and 12 his first year in the NBA. It's possible (though certainly not common) for a dominant player to average similar numbers in college and his first year in the league.

Back