• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Zion averages 22 pts, 9 rebs, 2 stls, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. He only plays 28 minutes per game and is paired with a guy that takes a lot of shots. Zion shoots 70%! from the floor.

As a college-to-pros comparison, Durant averaged 26 pts, 11 rebs, 2 stls, 1 asst, and 2 blocks in his one year. But he played 36 mpg and shot 50% from the floor. The next year, in the NBA he averaged 20 pts, 4 rebs, 2 stls, 2 blocks, and 1 assist.

Look at any advanced stat, and Zion is through the roof (PER, win share, offensive rating, effective FG, etc).

Bruh, Zion is a monster, but come on. LBJ is a top 3 all-time player. Probably could have played in the NBA at 16.

Bruh, Zion is a monster, but come on. LBJ is a top 3 all-time player. Probably could have played in the NBA at 16.

Yes, I agree with all of this. I wasn't trying to say Zion will be the next LBJ, I was trying to think of a good comparison for Zion's 1 year in college, and I think Lebron would have had a similar year (gaudy stats, incredible dunks, tons of hype, etc).

I don't think Durant is a great comparison because he didn't have the same athleticism and not as much hype. Blake Griffin didn't have as much hype and also played two years. KAT and Anthony Davis didn't have the same athleticism or hype. I couldn't think of a good comparison for Zion (I'd love to hear one), which is why I went with the theoretical "LBJ in college."

Sunday 9am ESPN E:60 special on Ryan Odom and his team from last season
"Thank you Jairus Lyles for making a few Wake donks think I might actually be a good coach." The end?

That Deacs9394 guy has some terrible takes.

Vermont takes down UMBC by 17. Leaves Ryan Odom with third 20 win season. John Becker and Vermont get another conference championship.

Yes, I agree with all of this. I wasn't trying to say Zion will be the next LBJ, I was trying to think of a good comparison for Zion's 1 year in college, and I think Lebron would have had a similar year (gaudy stats, incredible dunks, tons of hype, etc).

I don't think Durant is a great comparison because he didn't have the same athleticism and not as much hype. Blake Griffin didn't have as much hype and also played two years. KAT and Anthony Davis didn't have the same athleticism or hype. I couldn't think of a good comparison for Zion (I'd love to hear one), which is why I went with the theoretical "LBJ in college."

AD had amazing athleticism and hype. So did Durant, but he was an outside player.

Rodney is good comparison for Zion...or a bigger Barkley.

Zion’s trajectory is off the charts. He went from an athletic curiosity to a complete player in a few months. I have no doubt he will enter the league with a reliable jumper and probably stretch his range to 3 point land by his second year.

Zion isn't even close to the passer LeBron was.

AD had amazing athleticism and hype. So did Durant, but he was an outside player.

Rodney is good comparison for Zion...or a bigger Barkley.

I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. Rogers and Barkley are decent physical comparisons (Rodney more so) but their freshmen stats don’t come close to Zion, they were not the sure fire #1 pick in the draft, etc.

The main difference, LeBron didn't have to go to dook, so has had an injury free career. Something (i.e. stupid motorcycle accident, not wearing a seat belt) will happen that will derail his trajectory. Or he becomes like some of the other dook POY, JJ and Battier, nice complementary pieces.

ESPN wants to do more stories on dook, they should look at the relative lack of NBA success of their favorite program.

I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. Rogers and Barkley are decent physical comparisons (Rodney more so) but their freshmen stats don’t come close to Zion, they were not the sure fire #1 pick in the draft, etc.

I do understand. Jesus.

Stats are relative to the teams you are on and how they play.

As to being #1, in a normal year Chuck might have had a chance. He was #5 with Hakeem and Jordan above him. I doubt Zion would have been #1 that year (Portland was going big and likely wouldn't have taken Zion either).

Rodney's style of play was very similar. The year he got drafted his slash was 21.2/7.9/2.3/1.8 steals.

2004 consensus All-Americans

Andre EmmettGSeniorTexas Tech
Ryan GomesFJuniorProvidence
Jameer NelsonGSeniorSaint Joseph's
Emeka OkaforCJuniorConnecticut
Lawrence RobertsFJuniorMississippi State

Thx

Zion’s trajectory is off the charts. He went from an athletic curiosity to a complete player in a few months. I have no doubt he will enter the league with a reliable jumper and probably stretch his range to 3 point land by his second year.

I think this is underselling Zion a bit. He was doing all of the stuff he is now in HS but people just didn’t think it would translate/play up to the new competition. And they thought his athleticism wouldnt be so off the charts against better athletes. Both were wrong. I think it’s disengenious to think K had anything at all to do with axion being as awesome as he is.

Back