• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

You guys really gotta address your non-conf schedule. That was killer and was at least the reason State wasn't one of the first four out.

Some of it is unlucky -- our beloved Penn State actually was a decent team but they weighed down y'alls SOS, and Vandy wasn't expected to go anywhere near 9-23. And you guys played absolute trash up until the ACC/Big Ten challenge. PSU and your narrow escape vs. Clemson in the ACCT were by far your best wins away from home.

But often the best conference to be in is one with a huge middle class that beats up on each other and picks up Q1 wins vs. each other, as opposed to a dominant top class, a couple top other teams (FSU, VT) and a lot of bad teams. Proved to be the case with the ACC this year

To be honest, the non-conference really did not bother me all that much (and the committee chair did not even mention it). This was a team returning two starters and three total contributors from last year (after replacing 70% of the scoring from the year prior to that), so I was really not bothered by the schedule being the way it was. Add in the fact that Auburn was a preseason Top 10 team, Wisconsin was a preseason Top 20 team, Penn State was returning three starters from a 26-win team (and actually did end up being a Q1 win), and Vanderbilt had Shittu and Garland at that point, I really felt the way the schedule fell was pretty unlucky.

And really, the schedule was not all that better last year, we just happened to get those Q1-A wins vs. Arizona, Duke, and @UNC. I was okay with playing a lighter schedule to get some confidence going into conference play with such a young team, however I do expect with only losing one contributor (as it stands right now/knock on wood) between this year and next year that we will schedule much more aggressively.

State's performance was just so predictably bad this year. Sure they beat literally every team that they werebetter than, and they were a lot better than most of them. But the lost to literally every team that was quantifiably good except for Syaracuse, who I consider slightly better, and Auburn, who I consider reasonably better, but not when they beat them. People lose sight ofthe fact that the NCAA tournament is for determining a national champion. NC State is nowhere near even a Sweet 16 appearance this season and has proved that at least eight times in conference this season.

Good luck versus Hofstra.

You have every right to think that I guess, however we did give UVA their best game of the regular season of any team not named Duke.

Does not matter if you do not win though, of course.

Also, so predictably bad? How so? We had 7 new players in the rotation and performed right at or slightly above my own expectations with 8 total underclassmen playing.

Last edited:
I don't really care about how you felt about the schedule, but in terms of how it affected your ability to get into the tournament it can't really be ignored

I don't really care about how you felt about the schedule, but in terms of how it affected your ability to get into the tournament it can't really be ignored

Iowa is literal proof that our NCSOS was not the reason we did not get in the Tournament, and their profile shows that with one more Q1 win State is in the Tournament (most likely Dayton).

Iowa's non-conf SOS was bad -- #281 -- but having the worst in the entire country is on a whole nother level.

You guys weren't that close to making the tourney. There were a variety of factors, and that was certainly one of them

Iowa's non-conf SOS was bad -- #281 -- but having the worst in the entire country is on a whole nother level.

You guys weren't that close to making the tourney. There were a variety of factors, and that was certainly one of them

Hard to say the Pack wasn't "that close to making the tourney" when they lost to VA in OT. There shouldn't be any doubt that had State won that game, they would've been in. That's one point in regulation away from a bid.

Where are you seeing that number?

With NET Iowa has a non-con SOS of #302. With KenPom Iowa has a non-con SOS of #332.

With one more Q1 win State most likely has a NET around 30. I just can't see the committee not putting in a team who would be a Q1 victory for any team in the country (home/away/neutral) in the Tournament.

Hard to say the Pack wasn't "that close to making the tourney" when they lost to VA in OT. There shouldn't be any doubt that had State won that game, they would've been in. That's one point in regulation away from a bid.

Fair point, though I'm sure there are several teams that were one win away too. Including the first four out teams, which State wasn't among (hence weren't/wasn't "that close").

And 281 is from Jerry Palm

Definitely feels chalky. Meaning it’s probably the year for some wild shit to go down.

Kansas will abuse Northeastern inside but if the Huskies are hot from three (top 5 in the nation in effective field goal %) it’ll be exciting.

Vermont is a tough out for VPI especially if Lamb has a day.

Vermont plays FSU. VPI&SU plays St. Louis.

You have every right to think that I guess, however we did give UVA their best game of the regular season of any team not named Duke.

Does not matter if you do not win though, of course.

Also, so predictably bad? How so? We had 7 new players in the rotation and performed right at or slightly above my own expectations with 8 total underclassmen playing.

Meant they had very predictable outcomes. Play good team, lose. Play bad teams, win.

Sounds like they both still think they are coaching for a chance at the wake job. Hope they and we are not disappointed.

Uncg was down 17-4 to Campbell? Impressive that they could come back, but that sounds way too much like some of Wake’s starts this year.

Back