• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Went back and looked at the stats over the last few seasons.

Years 1 & 2 under Manning show decent "3 point defense"... Well, Year 1 was good and Year 2 was OK.

But the last couple of years, opponents have shot 3s more often than average against Wake and are also shooting above average on 3s... That is NOT a good combo. Though, it could just be a statistical anomaly... Not sure if it is an actual trend (these #s bounced around under Bz, too).

I would have argued that our defensive issues have been more about not staying in front of penetration... But the numbers on 3s are not kind.

Worth monitoring as the year goes on... With the added length this year, you'd think we'd be better on close outs.

2016-17: Opponents shot 35.8% from 3 (vs D1 average of 35%); 38.7% of shots are attempted 3s (vs 36.4%); 31.3% of opponent points are 3s (vs 30.4%)
2017-18: Opponents shot 37.7% from 3 (vs D1 average of 35.1%); 40.1% of shots are attempted 3s (vs 37.5% D1 average); 34.5% of opponent points are 3s (vs 31.4% D1 average)

Wouldn't it be more logical to compare what our opponents shot than the generic team? It would mean more if our shot 37.7% against us versus shooting 35.1% against everyone they played versus including all teams.

Wouldn't it be more logical to compare what our opponents shot than the generic team? It would mean more if our shot 37.7% against us versus shooting 35.1% against everyone they played versus including all teams.

Probably, but I don't have that data.

I'm not a statistician, but seems like it's still relevant data after 30+ games.

When I look at conference-only stats, we are slightly below average to terrible, depending on the year.

In 17-18, the percentage difference is 1 extra make for every 40 3s taken.

Also, it would be more helpful to know how many threes our opponents averaged against their schedules. We played several teams that took many more threes than the average.

Stats without appropriate context aren't that valuable.

In 17-18, the percentage difference is 1 extra make for every 40 3s taken.

Also, it would be more helpful to know how many threes our opponents averaged against their schedules. We played several teams that took many more threes than the average.

Stats without appropriate context aren't that valuable.

Not going to get into a stats argument with you, but small percentage differences matter when you are talking about large amounts of data.

If our opponents are shooting more 3s and making a higher percentage of them against our defense, it is a bad thing. I don't know what other context you need on that. The fact that we were 309th in the country (out of 351 teams) in opponents 3 pt % is not good.

Of course we played several teams that took more 3s than the average. We also played a number that attempted fewer.

I'm not drawing conclusions on what our defensive strategy should be... I am cherry picking a few stats that suggest we didn't defend the 3 well the last couple of seasons. It's tough to win basketball games when your opponents are successfully raining 3s on your defense. Hopefully it improves this year.

What if our schedule had an average of teams that took more and made more threes than the average? What if our numbers versus the teams we actually played was decent? We don't know that.

In 16-17 we were right at the averages - 35.8% vs 35% is no real difference- it's one make in ever 125 shots. That's no difference at all. Regarding the % of threes takes is an absolute function of who we played. By taking more and shooting the same percentage, of course you'll give up more points on the shots.

16-17 we were about as close to being average as you can get.

Last year, it wasn't good. With Doral's great improvement on D, we should have challenged more threes and let them drive into the lane to Doral. That was bad design.

VT's Chris Clarke posts an update:

LSU v Memphis was a good game. LSU is pretty good this year, but its only because Will Wade buys the best players he can.

Mike Devoe looks more raw than I expected for GT, but I’m sure most of that is the toe injury and lack of practice time.

Adidas GT jerseys no upgrade from the Russell Athletic.

Tech looks like they’ll play hard this year, but not much talent on the roster.

Oh, and somehow James Banks got a waiver today from the NCAA and is immediately eligible after transferring from Texas.

What is going on with the NCAA and all of these waivers?

Ayo single-handedly keeping Illinois in this game against Georgetown (and Akinjo).

61-61 with 11+ to play.

Ayo with 21 on 8-13 shooting (3-4 3s).

FS1

Ayo single-handedly keeping Illinois in this game against Georgetown (and Akinjo).

61-61 with 11+ to play.

Ayo with 21 on 8-13 shooting (3-4 3s).

FS1

Kid is smooth. If he landed at wake and they somehow managed to keep him and hoard for 2 years, that would’ve been a tourney team next year .

Radford not terrible...Bad loss for ND, but not a disaster.

BC losing to IUPUI, though... Yikes.

I remember when most of the ACC would make it to Thanksgiving undefeated.

The ACC is really unbalanced this year. Duke, UNC, UVA and possibly Cuse and FSU are elite teams. That said, there are group of teams at the bottom that are weak (BC, GT, Pitt and WF). Maybe you can add ND to that group. Brey seems to maximize his talent every year, but ND was a bad team last year when Colson and Farrell were out (lost 7 in a row). Now, both are graduated. This is the primary reason why WF has a chance to win 6 to 8 ACC games this year. There are more soft targets in the conference than in the past. There are going to be some really ugly games when the top tier ACC teams play bottom tier teams. Not good when there are so many non-competitive games.

Back