• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

A&T lost by 23, but covered (and won the 2nd half!).

But yeah, we should have handled them more easily.

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread - No Back Problems For K This Year

Ian Steere transferring from NCSU.

Freshman from High Point, NC... Played for CP3.

Was ranked 140-ish.

Ian Steere transferring from NCSU.

Freshman from High Point, NC... Played for CP3.

Was ranked 140-ish.

Why play in a single game and waste an entire year of eligibility? Seems like awful planning.

Why play in a single game and waste an entire year of eligibility? Seems like awful planning.

The trend for all of these early season transfers is to get a waiver and be eligible for the start of sophomore year (no sitting out a year at new school).

See Blake Harris (and others).

But with how opaque the NCAA is with this stuff, it seems like a big risk.

The trend for all of these early season transfers is to get a waiver and be eligible for the start of sophomore year (no sitting out a year at new school).

See Blake Harris (and others).

But with how opaque the NCAA is with this stuff, it seems like a big risk.

Even without sitting out a year, wouldn't he still lose a year of eligibility since his "freshman" year was taken up by only one game?

That's 5 transfers from the Pack since the end of last season.

I'm sure it has happened before, but don't ever remember a player transferring as a frosh after playing a single game. Odd.

I'm sure it has happened before, but don't ever remember a player transferring as a frosh after playing a single game. Odd.

one game is that strange sweet spot between Larry Bird (no games; one month on campus) and Mike Scott (a few games including impressing ol' Deano)

I hear these things happen to everyone. Probably doesn't reflect on the coach or the state of the program. I'm sure each transfer can easily be explained. They just saw no playing time available. No big deal.

Losing big Yurt and now Steere it sounds like Keatts has trouble holding on to talented bigs. Should be easy to out recruit them in that department/position going forward.

Losing big Yurt and now Steere it sounds like Keatts has trouble holding on to talented bigs. Should be easy to out recruit them in that department/position going forward.

Yeah, mark it down. November 12, 2018. From this point on Manning will out recruit Keatts in the big man department.

What will you say when A&T shoots 10-25 again?

We are a very weak team physically and especially on the boards, but one game shooting doesn't prove anything.

Yea Manning teams don't know how to guard the three ball.

I'm sure that contributed, but A&T missed a lot of open looks last night. FWIW, A&T is 3-0 ATS, which is a sign that they are better than predicted.

Yeah, mark it down. November 12, 2018. From this point on Manning will out recruit Keatts in the big man department.

Hopefully someone other than Manning will be doing it, starting next season if anyone can actually put pressure on the AD to hire someone that knows how to guide a team to the top 1/2 of the ACC.

I hear these things happen to everyone. Probably doesn't reflect on the coach or the state of the program. I'm sure each transfer can easily be explained. They just saw no playing time available. No big deal.

Probably. I’m sure each player could easily explain the reasons behind his decision, and I suspect state fans could make an educated guess about those reasons. Some of those transfers are probably Keatts’ fault, others aren’t. Similar to our situation (you seem to be the only one arguing otherwise).

Also wasn’t this board pining for Keatts less than 6 months ago?

Seems like in this scenario Steere sees the writing on the way that he is going to be the 3rd or 4th option at C for NCSU next year. He committed when the big man rotation was only Yurt (who was by most accounts already gone), Steere, and Manny Bates. After he committed KK brings in Walker, SKJ, and DJ Funderburke who looks to be better than Steere currently. So he went from 1st or 2nd on the depth chart to 3-4 next year. KK seems like he has zero interest in playing two bigs at the same time so Steere is really only competing for time at the 5 spot. Sounds like this was a business decision to go get some PT.

As ATS said, worst case scenario he will be available to play after Xmas next year instead of sitting out a whole year if he waits til spring semester. And with a waiver could be available immediately like Blake Harris. So that part makes sense.

As an aside, first post since last Thursday night, hell of a game by you guys. Kicked our ass up front and Clawson took DD to school once again. Congrats on the win.

Seems like in this scenario Steere sees the writing on the way that he is going to be the 3rd or 4th option at C for NCSU next year. He committed when the big man rotation was only Yurt (who was by most accounts already gone), Steere, and Manny Bates. After he committed KK brings in Walker, SKJ, and DJ Funderburke who looks to be better than Steere currently. So he went from 1st or 2nd on the depth chart to 3-4 next year. KK seems like he has zero interest in playing two bigs at the same time so Steere is really only competing for time at the 5 spot. Sounds like this was a business decision to go get some PT.

As ATS said, worst case scenario he will be available to play after Xmas next year instead of sitting out a whole year if he waits til spring semester. And with a waiver could be available immediately like Blake Harris. So that part makes sense.

As an aside, first post since last Thursday night, hell of a game by you guys. Kicked our ass up front and Clawson took DD to school once again. Congrats on the win.

Yeah, that is what I've read from most sources... I think Steere just signed with certain expectations and things have changed. Seems similar to Melo leaving Wake when he saw Mucius, Johnson, Wright, and Brown all competing for his minutes (with White and Massoud coming in next year). Keatts, like Manning, doesn't seem to be one to coddle these players (though it sounds like Keatts pushed Steere to stay).

The big difference, of course, is that Keatts had a good start at NCSU last season and has more goodwill. Racer (I think) posted something along those lines the other day... When the macro is "good", most things are viewed positively... When it's bad, everything is negative. At least that is what I think he was trying to get across.

NCSU is always a fun soap opera to watch... Keatts has put together a solid squad this season, but if it doesn't translate into a nice W/L record, I think the bloom will be off the rose.

Yea Manning teams don't know how to guard the three ball.

Went back and looked at the stats over the last few seasons.

Years 1 & 2 under Manning show decent "3 point defense"... Well, Year 1 was good and Year 2 was OK.

But the last couple of years, opponents have shot 3s more often than average against Wake and are also shooting above average on 3s... That is NOT a good combo. Though, it could just be a statistical anomaly... Not sure if it is an actual trend (these #s bounced around under Bz, too).

I would have argued that our defensive issues have been more about not staying in front of penetration... But the numbers on 3s are not kind.

Worth monitoring as the year goes on... With the added length this year, you'd think we'd be better on close outs.

2016-17: Opponents shot 35.8% from 3 (vs D1 average of 35%); 38.7% of shots are attempted 3s (vs 36.4%); 31.3% of opponent points are 3s (vs 30.4%)
2017-18: Opponents shot 37.7% from 3 (vs D1 average of 35.1%); 40.1% of shots are attempted 3s (vs 37.5% D1 average); 34.5% of opponent points are 3s (vs 31.4% D1 average)

Last edited:
Yeah, that is what I've read from most sources... I think Steere just signed with certain expectations and things have changed. Seems similar to Melo leaving Wake when he saw Mucius, Johnson, Wright, and Brown all competing for his minutes (with White and Massoud coming in next year). Keatts, like Manning, doesn't seem to be one to coddle these players (though it sounds like Keatts pushed Steere to stay).

The big difference, of course, is that Keatts had a good start at NCSU last season and has more goodwill. Racer (I think) posted something along those lines the other day... When the macro is "good", most things are viewed positively... When it's bad, everything is negative. At least that is what I think he was trying to get across.

NCSU is always a fun soap opera to watch... Keatts has put together a solid squad this season, but if it doesn't translate into a nice W/L record, I think the bloom will be off the rose.

He finished 3rd in the ACC last year, I think it's a little early for that. This year's team is really fun but doesn't have much size or rim protection. As I mentioned KK has no interest in playing big so it will be interesting to see how the rebounding numbers dip against the better competition. Early KP #'s look great but it's against trash competition. Daniels and Bryce are still finding their footing but looks like the talent is there. Walker looks very similar to a Ben McCauley type player so hopefully that's enough against ACC competition. This team is going to be extremely efficient on offense.

Back