• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

What if (and I am just spitballing here) UK is not good this year? Is Calipari on any kind of hot seat? Sounds ridiculous, I know... But this is UK.

RJ could coach that Duke team to an undefeated season. Kaye will not.

What if (and I am just spitballing here) UK is not good this year? Is Calipari on any kind of hot seat? Sounds ridiculous, I know... But this is UK.

One of my good friends is a UK grad and an absolute lunatic about their sports teams (so basically, just a normal kentucky fan). He is definitely tired of Calipari and how it's all about getting kids to the NBA instead of winning. He knows they have it good, but he's not in love with Cal. If they have a subpar season (aka not winning the SEC and/or not making it past the sweet 16) I could see him wanting him gone. And yes, I'm using him as my projection of the fanbase.

My daughter is a UK grad. When it was announced that Cal's son (Brad) was going to redshirt this year, she (and a bunch of her UK friends) were super hyped because they took that to mean that Cal would definitely be staying another year. So based on that, they don't seem to want him gone.

My daughter is a UK grad. When it was announced that Cal's son (Brad) was going to redshirt this year, she (and a bunch of her UK friends) were super hyped because they took that to mean that Cal would definitely be staying another year. So based on that, they don't seem to want him gone.

This has been the primary response. There are some folks sick of the one and dones, in fact one and done fatigue is a phrase around here, but overall Cal has UK at a level that nobody else would have them and people know that.

Coach O does your daughter live in Lexington?

Coach O daughter sounds a lot more reasonable than the UK fan i know.

I was most surprised about how well Duke's guys played together as a unit. That was impressive for so early in the season.

KY just isn't as good and won't be. They do need to start Montgomery.

A quick perusal of the UK message boards tells me the fanbase is none too pleased this morning (no shit).

Lots of complaining that Cal can't run an offense... Cal can't recruit like he used to... Cal needs to adopt positionless basketball.

It'd be funny if I didn't long for the days when we would argue over that kind of stupid shit here.

"Prosser can't win in March!"
"Prosser can't coach defense!"
"Odom's teams are boring!"

Instead, we argue over whether Manning can get this team to .500 this year (among other things).

So depressing.

Duke natty, Zion investigation looming, K retires so he never has to deal with it...

This has been the primary response. There are some folks sick of the one and dones, in fact one and done fatigue is a phrase around here, but overall Cal has UK at a level that nobody else would have them and people know that.

Coach O does your daughter live in Lexington?

She lives in SF...works for Bleacher Report.

Duke natty, Zion investigation looming, K retires so he never has to deal with it...

$$ well spent on Zion. He is legit. My son goes to KU, and I wish KU would have made a better offer to Zion's mom, but apparently Duke's money was much higher.

Guys, Duke will be exonerated and NC Central will be put on probation.

source.gif

I was most surprised about how well Duke's guys played together as a unit. That was impressive for so early in the season.

KY just isn't as good and won't be. They do need to start Montgomery.

I thought Montgomery looked pretty bad. He doesn't like contact, had a brutal airball from about six feet and did not look good with the ball in his hands. He did have a couple of nice putbacks in the first half before Duke decided to put a body on him.

Duke always starts way ahead of everyone else. K has his system in place and gets his players to pick it up fast, but they often go into a slow fade starting in February due to lack of depth, players thinking about the NBA, and growing tired of Mr. Monotone Relationships. Maybe this team will be like the 2015 team that won the title, but thinking (praying) that this team starts to show cracks as the season wears on like 7 of the last 8 Duke teams.

Very cool. I always wonder where students from out of state end up going and how many stay in the area.

Both of my kids went WAY out of state...my wife and I figure that we either raised very secure, adventurous kids, or they couldn't wait to get as far away from us as they could.

I thought Montgomery looked pretty bad. He doesn't like contact, had a brutal airball from about six feet and did not look good with the ball in his hands. He did have a couple of nice putbacks in the first half before Duke decided to put a body on him.

I didn't watch much of the second half. He seemed quite active and unafraid in the first half.

I haven't changed my stance that Cal is, at best, a little better than average as a game coach. Not many players improve much playing for him.

UVA struggled with Towson last night for 25-30 minutes but then went on a huge run in the middle of the 2nd half to blow it out. They're ranked #5, but I wasn't overly impressed. Towson had a good strategy - they did a great job of taking away Guy's air space to render him mostly harmless. But the 2 guys who have improved over the summer are Jerome and Hunter. Hunter has gotten a lot stronger and is likely to bolt for the NBA after the season (though still needs work on his handle b/c he'll be a 3 at the next level). Jerome is really turning into a great all around player. He's not the quickest PG, but he's big, has improved his outside shot, is a great passer and has a great feel for the game. And the Bama transfer Key is a 6'7-8" wing who can play the 3 or 4 and has a nice all around game. They have a 5'8" freshman PG who played a lot of minutes and had some nice moments, but his outside shot looks bad, and he was taken advantage of on D a few times. They were supposed to have a redshirt freshman who is 6'7" from Italy but he wasn't even on the bench - not sure if he's still with the program. Had another forward from Argentina, but he has a leg injury and will probably redshirt. The team also has a different look. They have traditionally played 2 bigs for 90+% of the minutes over the last several years but are not doing that this year, probably because Salt and Diakite are the only reliable bigs on the roster. And they're not doubling as much, or maybe that was just because of Towson.

Back