• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Syracuse 2016.

And I guess it depends on "run," 4 times outta 8 years a Dayton team has made the Sweet 16, and every year they've won at least one game in the Rd of 64

Last edited:
By the objective rating systems, State and Clemson got screwed. Guessing the committee thought by giving the ACC 3 #1 seeds they had demonstrated enough deference to the conference.

That said, both teams' up and down performances left it a close enough call so that the committee could screw them. Among the things hurting State was the abysmal 47-24 home loss to VT, the late season home loss to GT and the loss to WF. Clemson blew seemingly insurmountable leads to State in two different games, with the ACC Tourney loss being particularly bad -- 16 point lead in the second half - Clemson scored 16 total points after halftime to put State in a position to win.

Syracuse 2016.

And I guess it depends on "run," 4 times outta 8 years a Dayton team has made the Sweet 16, and every year they've won at least one game in the Rd of 64

Also, Xavier who made the Elite 8 as an 11 in 2017 was pretty bubbly. They were the last team to avoid Dayton on the seed list

What upsets are folks looking at for their pools? I'm thinking about Irvine, Murray, NMSU and Northeastern. But it feels like a chalkier year than most, especially the elite 8.

One guy who consistently does a good job everywhere he is as a college basketball coach is Ben Howland. Now that he is at Mississippi State, he has them 10-8 in the conference & 23-10 overall. Bringing in Howland, Pearl, Barnes, Kermit Davis, Avery Johnson, Frank Martin & Mike White has gotten them some new blood flowing in what was once a bad basketball league.

Definitely feels chalky. Meaning it’s probably the year for some wild shit to go down.

Kansas will abuse Northeastern inside but if the Huskies are hot from three (top 5 in the nation in effective field goal %) it’ll be exciting.

Vermont is a tough out for VPI especially if Lamb has a day.

Zero sympathy for Clemson and State in a year where the ACC was top heavy and bottom heavy. They were the 2 mediocre teams, and neither distinguished themselves. There were a ton of mediocre power 6 teams this year and a lot of better than usual mid majors. That's why I'm glad Belmont got in and would have preferred UNCG, Furman and Davidson to ASU, StJs and tOSU.

If NCSU had finished off UVA in the regular season or held on to beat Wisky do you think they should have been in?

Bottom line on State is that we kept them out. I would bet that if they had beaten us they would have gotten in.

Bottom line on State is that we kept them out. I would bet that if they had beaten us they would have gotten in.

This is what it comes down to, IMO. State had a decent resume but they didn't beat anyone that matters and they lost to a horrible Wake team. 10-8 reg season ACC record, without a loss to WFU gets them in.

Yep. Two really bad losses for State I am sure stuck out to the committee. Getting beat by us is one of them but also getting beat at home In March by Georgia Tech, another bottom feeder hurts just as bad or worse. Put those together with their woeful non-con schedule being #353 and they do not deserve to get in.

I picked UVA over Duke in the finals to be a contrarian. Feels funny picking a #1 seed as an "upset" pick.

Meanwhile, Clemson's two losses to NC State by a total of three points are the tipping point for keeping them out of the tourney as well. Had they won those games they would have been 21-13 (10-8) with a Net Ranking of about 30.

Clemson clemson’d, it’s that simple.

As for State, you cannot have the worst nonconference strength of schedule and get in. It’s just embarrassing. And so typical of State. If they were a middle schooler, they would be the bully that beats up on the little kid but get smashed by the jocks. I cannot stand when State schedules soft. They did this in football for a number of years as well. I’m so glad they weren’t rewarded for it in hoops.

West Virginia is playing in the CBI tournament with a losing record (so is DePaul).

First time in 4 years that a power conference team elects to play in the CBI. Participants must pay the tournament to participate.

I really do not think the Wake/GT games necessarily kept State out, particularly since Markell missed the Wake Forest game. If we win both we are probably in, but had we split those games we are probably still out based off what the committee chair said.

Committee chair said it was because we did not take advantage of our Q1 opportunities. I understand his reasoning there, but the problem is Q1 opportunities come in all shapes and sizes. For example, St. John's Q1 games did not have to come against five No. 1 seeds (they played Duke once and lost by 30). And of course State's NET was literally 40 spots higher than theirs. I also truly felt State had 'as good' (if not better) of a resume of the last five teams in the field, but as has been noted if you are on the bubble in the first place it really is just splitting hairs at that point.

Honestly, the way the committee chair worded things, had Auburn been a Q1-A win (as they were expected to be), I think State gets in. Unfortunately they did not start playing to their potential until the SEC Tournament.

Last edited:
You guys really gotta address your non-conf schedule. That was killer and was at least the reason State wasn't one of the first four out.

Some of it is unlucky -- our beloved Penn State actually was a decent team but they weighed down y'alls SOS, and Vandy wasn't expected to go anywhere near 9-23. And you guys played absolute trash up until the ACC/Big Ten challenge. PSU and your narrow escape vs. Clemson in the ACCT were by far your best wins away from home.

But often the best conference to be in is one with a huge middle class that beats up on each other and picks up Q1 wins vs. each other, as opposed to a dominant top class, a couple top other teams (FSU, VT) and a lot of bad teams. Proved to be the case with the ACC this year

State's performance was just so predictably bad this year. Sure they beat literally every team that they werebetter than, and they were a lot better than most of them. But the lost to literally every team that was quantifiably good except for Syaracuse, who I consider slightly better, and Auburn, who I consider reasonably better, but not when they beat them. People lose sight ofthe fact that the NCAA tournament is for determining a national champion. NC State is nowhere near even a Sweet 16 appearance this season and has proved that at least eight times in conference this season.

Good luck versus Hofstra.

Back