• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Dan Diantoni rocking the suit coat and T-shirt look again tonight. The t-shirt has the West Virginia state outline in green and reads “Hillbilly ball.”

Wigginton cost Iowa State the game. 1st has a terrible turnover on a fast break, then very next play defensive mistake that costs them 2 points, then the very next play after that misses a dunk. ESPN loved him in HS, talked about how great he would be. He was a liability on both ends of the floor.

Horton-Tucker looks solid for Iowa St. Hard to imagine a D1 coach let him go elsewhere to satisfy another commit’s parents. Especially considering that recruit is a one & done on an awful team.

It was an enormous missed opportunity for Illinois to bring in two immediate impact kids on a team in desperate need of talent. Still, I'm not sure what Underwood could have done differently. He successfully convinced both kids to want to play for him but then was faced with the threat of both Dosunmu bailing and alienating an important Chicago aau team. He chose to stick with the higher rated kid who had already committed.

I'm not sure that Dosunmu is one and done. He may well choose to go but he's not a first round pick. Horton-Tucker is arguably getting more draft hype than is Dosunmu.

Realize they suck (just suck a little less than WF), but after playing well in their first 3 ACC games (beating WF, losing to VT in the final minute and dominating Cuse 73-59 on the road), GT has been devastated by injuries. Tech was not that deep to begin with, then they lose their most important player, PG Jose Alvarado and another starter Abdoulaye Gueye to injury. Also, GT's first guard off the bench, Brandon Alston is out for "personal reasons". GT essentially has no one that can play the point. In their last game, GT was down 43-16 at the half. Tonight, GT plays ND (another team that has suffered through injuries).

Realize they suck (just suck a little less than WF), but after playing well in their first 3 ACC games (beating WF, losing to VT in the final minute and dominating Cuse 73-59 on the road), GT has been devastated by injuries. Tech was not that deep to begin with, then they lose their most important player, PG Jose Alvarado and another starter Abdoulaye Gueye to injury. Also, GT's first guard off the bench, Brandon Alston is out for "personal reasons". GT essentially has no one that can play the point. In their last game, GT was down 43-16 at the half. Tonight, GT plays ND (another team that has suffered through injuries).

Unfortunate that we drew GT so early on in the ACC season.

Of course, we never win in Atlanta, so I am not sure it would have mattered.

Also, what's 1 more win in the ACC when you are talking about 3-4 total wins anyway?

It was an enormous missed opportunity for Illinois to bring in two immediate impact kids on a team in desperate need of talent. Still, I'm not sure what Underwood could have done differently. He successfully convinced both kids to want to play for him but then was faced with the threat of both Dosunmu bailing and alienating an important Chicago aau team. He chose to stick with the higher rated kid who had already committed.

I'm not sure that Dosunmu is one and done. He may well choose to go but he's not a first round pick. Horton-Tucker is arguably getting more draft hype than is Dosunmu.

For the past couple weeks Ayo has been showing up in 1st round mock drafts. He may be a 1st round pick.

Steve Prohm and his Iowa State team up on Kansas again in the 2nd half. If he beats them a 2nd time this season and takes over 1st place in the Big12, I'd bump him up to option 1B with Oats as 1A.

Shayock, who was a UVA transfer, is having a great year for Iowa St. I'm happy for him because he seemed like a good kid. My recollection was he was a somewhat lightly recruited 3* out of Toronto.

Shayock, who was a UVA transfer, is having a great year for Iowa St. I'm happy for him because he seemed like a good kid. My recollection was he was a somewhat lightly recruited 3* out of Toronto.

Yup both games against Kansas, Shayock looked like their best player.

??? Both started and are playing tonight for Tech and 18 of GT's 34

Current KP Player of the Year Standings.

1. Zion
2. Ethan Happ, Wisconsin
3. Grant Williams, TN
4. RJ Barrett, Duke
5. Carsen Edwards, Purdue
6. Dederic Lawson, KS
7. Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech
8. Ja Morant, Murray St.
9. Ty Jerome, UVA
10. Cassius Winston, Mich State

ACC Top 5

1. Zion
2. Barrett
3. Jerome
4. De'Andre Hunter, UVA
5. Jason Nwora, L'ville

Might check out Morant tonight vs. Belmont. Hope they dance, would be fun to see what he can do in the tourney

Do we like Louisville -4 tonight at home against State, assuming Johnson doesn't play again? Is there a college basketball betting thread I've missed?

Whether Johnson is playing (and how effectively) is key information (last report is that it is a game time call). Got burned on Tuesday when the news got reported the Alvarado and Gueye wouldn't play for GT against ND, and then those two combine for almost half of GT's points in a 2 point win. FWIW, the 4 point line is telling me that someone thinks Markell Johnson is playing.

It's also State's third straight road game which usually means go against the road-weary team. OTOH, not sure if L'ville is as good as the recent scores indicate as they blew out GT, when GT was actually without Alvarado and Gueye, and then UNC just had an abysmal shooting game (3 for 22 from deep) against the Cards. Not playing the game, but if I had to, would take L'ville.

It's also State's third straight road game which usually means go against the road-weary team

Since 2005 teams in at least the third straight away game in conference play have covered 53.6% of the time

This year a little worse, 51.3%.

19-20-1 since '05 in the ACC

Back