• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

The statement about roommate assignments when Duncan was there is inaccurate.

Elaborate if you would. It WAS true when I was at Wake in *cough* the late 80s. And I have heard Duncan speak the same. Did they do some sort of hybrid where scholly athletes roomed together but they were in freshman suites with non athletic scholly students? I do remember a kid going ballistic when he went on a road trip to play a game and when he got back to his room, his roommate had had a party or something and some of the guy's stuff had disappeared. So that would make sense.

Most athletes roomed together in the mid to late 90's. I believe the NCAA made it illegal as "impermissible benefits" to house all athletes together in a single dorm. That is why Palmer/Piccolo was integrated with regular students. That was before my time but I think that was the case.

Bit of a cliched response. It is low hanging fruit to chalk it up to Manning. Wake campus life plays a role as well. One of the reasons we kept Duncan for four years is he simply loved campus life. In those days, ALL freshmen were assigned randomish roommates and athletes didn't have other scholly athletes as their roommate and they didn't live in their own dorms. That is not so anymore. Honestly, it is a double-edged sword. I have some memories partying with scholly athletes that was surely a distraction to their athletic focus. I also think some recruits might shy away from that type of "exposure" if seeking out a one-and-done fly-by college experience.

But Craw and Doral were done with Wake Forest as much as they were done with Manning. Winning and the hope of winning does change one's experience too. In hindsight, it was probably the right decision for both. Neither were likely to improve their draft stock by coming back and having similar years to the ones they had as juniors.

I definitely disagree with you about Doral not improving his draft stock. If he had another solid year, I believe he absolutely could been drafted and could have improved enough to make the bottom of the first round in a draft that doesn't have a lot of good centers. At worst he may have gotten a full two-way slot. I believe it cost him a lot of money not to stay.

Craw was more iffy. Had both stayed, we would have had a good season. This, along with his four year numbers could have propelled him into the bottom of the second round.

Most athletes roomed together in the mid to late 90's. I believe the NCAA made it illegal as "impermissible benefits" to house all athletes together in a single dorm. That is why Palmer/Piccolo was integrated with regular students. That was before my time but I think that was the case.

There were no "jock dorms" at Wake. But I cannot think of any scholarship athletes that were not assigned another scholarship athlete as a roommate as freshman, absent an odd number of scholarship athletes in that particular sport.

Pretty sure all of the basketball and football players were in Palmer/Piccolo when I was a freshman in the late 80's. Other scholarship athletes typically roomed together or had singles with the general population.

Charlie Thomas had a non athlete roomie. Honestly, cannot remember how or why I know that. I have no specific Charlie Thomas stories.

Also one of our tall centers from the Bob Staak years. Last name started with a 'W' He had a regular student roomie (looked it up - Craig Wessel).

There were stories of a football player losing his shit after coming back from an away game to find his stereo busted and some clothes missing, but I have no direct knowledge of that as true.

Last edited:
Are we talking about why Doral Moore didn't come back for his senior season?

He was DNP-CD the last (most important) game of his sophomore season

He got benched in favor of a freshman walkon the last (most important) game of his junior season

I'd start there

He got benched in favor of a freshman walkon the last (most important) game of his junior season

I'd start there

Manning is the worst.

I'd start there

He also got shitty advice from someone. He legitimately thought he was going to get drafted with an outside chance of the 1st round. It seemed everyone knew he didn't stand a chance of being drafted except him. Also, whoever is advising him today should send him to Europe pronto to make as much money as he can. Memphis traded Gasol, lost Noah to injury, lost Valiciunius to injury - STILL they didn't recall double double machine Doral. That tells you all you need to know about his chances of landinga roster spot on Memphis next year. He would have been a 10-year banger in the NBA 20 years ago, but not today.

I was in a suite with Timmy D and Ricardo Peral sophomore year. It was a random assignment, although they did get paired with two other of their non-athlete friends in that suite.

In fact they were assigned to a back (smaller) room and had to come to my room just to stretch their legs out. They never complained.

I was in a suite with Timmy D and Ricardo Peral sophomore year. It was a random assignment, although they did get paired with two other of their non-athlete friends in that suite.

In fact they were assigned to a back (smaller) room and had to come to my room just to stretch their legs out. They never complained.

That is winning the lottery!

Do you keep in touch with Tim?

Whoa i disagree strongly - as pointed out he was being wasted at Wake. He got good run, lots of coaching and i bet is a year or two away from making real money somewhere. It was 100% the right decision to bounce on Manning-quin

S
He also got shitty advice from someone. He legitimately thought he was going to get drafted with an outside chance of the 1st round. It seemed everyone knew he didn't stand a chance of being drafted except him. Also, whoever is advising him today should send him to Europe pronto to make as much money as he can. Memphis traded Gasol, lost Noah to injury, lost Valiciunius to injury - STILL they didn't recall double double machine Doral. That tells you all you need to know about his chances of landinga roster spot on Memphis next year. He would have been a 10-year banger in the NBA 20 years ago, but not today.

if only he had spoken to jaybone ! 1

Yes, but the 2 that have him in top 50, ESPN and SI, are the two most realistic mock drafts of the bunch.

Interesting, I always regarded NBADraft.net as the most accurate but I haven't paid close attention in the last few years. In terms of underclassmen, the deadline for those who haven't hired an agent to withdraw and return to college is May 29th, so realistically we've got a very long wait ahead of us before we hear any official Hoard news.

Do we know if Hoard has hired an agent? Completely forgot you're allowed to do that and still come back now. You're also allowed to go through the draft and come back to school if not drafted. I'm sure those have both been discussed here.

Back