• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jaylen Hoard - He Gone

if only he had spoken to jaybone ! 1

Pretty Douchey response. I cannot remember if you are regularly a douchey poster or this is outside your norm.

I just stated above that in hindsight not a horrible decision for Doral Moore to go pro. In the pre-draft interview after a workout in Charlotte, Moore was interviewed by local TV and he was legitimately hopeful of being drafted in the late 1st round. It was just not going to happen. Moore made $35,000 this year in the Development league. $7,000 per month. Not horrific, but he could have earned 10X that overseas. He's never going to get that money back.

His agent reps one NBA player, Paul Millsap who signed his max contract several years ago. He reps nobody else in the NBA. Doral DID choose, in hindsight, a good NBA team. They had no legit backup center when he signed and they only signed Joakim Noah 20+ games into the season. And Doral played quite well. Still, despite trading Gasol, despite losing Noah, despite losing Valenciunius with 10 days left in the season, Moore did not get called up.

He'll always be 1 year behind Crawford now in getting his pro coin, and he did so at the expense of a college degree.

Now, I WAS against him going pro a year ago for the following reason - he had one quality season on his resume EVER going back to his birth. He was not even dominant in high school because he played on a team with multiple future college players. Not only that, he didn't have a season on his resume where he played more than half a game - 20 minutes in college, I think 16 minutes in high school. I thought he could possibly move into the 2nd round if he put together two double-double seasons in a row at Wake playing 25+ minutes, but essentially he plays a role that is at the moment out-dated in the NBA.

So, to be clear - I'm not questioning Moore's decision to leave, I'm questioning his choices since. He's fixated on the NBA. All kids with NBA potential are, but Crawford made the much wiser decision to go get paid for real. I cannot find what Crawford made in Israel, but he was a top 10 scorer in their top league so I am guessing at minimum several hundred thousand dollars. Since he played pretty well, he has the chance to get more money in Spain, Italy, Greece, France ,etc... If Moore gets better advice this summer, he will follow Crawford overseas to make good money.

Last edited:
Is Hoard even going to class? I heard rumors he wasn't which means it's hard to believe he'll be able to come back even if his draft stock keeps dropping.

Pretty Douchey response. I cannot remember if you are regularly a douchey poster or this is outside your norm.

I just stated above that in hindsight not a horrible decision for Doral Moore to go pro. In the pre-draft interview after a workout in Charlotte, Moore was interviewed by local TV and he was legitimately hopeful of being drafted in the late 1st round. It was just not going to happen. Moore made $35,000 this year in the Development league. $7,000 per month. Not horrific, but he could have earned 10X that overseas. He's never going to get that money back.

His agent reps one NBA player, Paul Millsap who signed his max contract several years ago. He reps nobody else in the NBA. Doral DID choose, in hindsight, a good NBA team. They had no legit backup center when he signed and they only signed Joakim Noah 20+ games into the season. And Doral played quite well. Still, despite trading Gasol, despite losing Noah, despite losing Valenciunius with 10 days left in the season, Moore did not get called up.

He'll always be 1 year behind Crawford now in getting his pro coin, and he did so at the expense of a college degree.

Now, I WAS against him going pro a year ago for the following reason - he had one quality season on his resume EVER going back to his birth. He was not even dominant in high school because he played on a team with multiple future college players. Not only that, he didn't have a season on his resume where he played more than half a game - 20 minutes in college, I think 16 minutes in high school. I thought he could possibly move into the 2nd round if he put together two double-double seasons in a row at Wake playing 25+ minutes, but essentially he plays a role that is at the moment out-dated in the NBA.

So, to be clear - I'm not questioning Moore's decision to leave, I'm questioning his choices since. He's fixated on the NBA. All kids with NBA potential are, but Crawford made the much wiser decision to go get paid for real. I cannot find what Crawford made in Israel, but he was a top 10 scorer in their top league so I am guessing at minimum several hundred thousand dollars. Since he played pretty well, he has the chance to get more money in Spain, Italy, Greece, France ,etc... If Moore gets better advice this summer, he will follow Crawford overseas to make good money.

well stated and spot on!

We knew Doral and Crawford had little to no chance of being drafted. Hoard on the other hand will probably be a 2nd round pick. Neither situation has much of a chance of making you an NBA success, but we are all special snowflakes who will be the exception to the rule.

We knew Doral and Crawford had little to no chance of being drafted. Hoard on the other hand will probably be a 2nd round pick. Neither situation has much of a chance of making you an NBA success, but we are all special snowflakes who will be the exception to the rule.

Hoard has the size and athletic ability to be an NBA regular player. He needs to improve. Whether he does that at Wake or elsewhere is a decision to be made. But just because he's projected as 2nd round right now is not a maximum projection of his talent.

To become a 1st Round draft choice rather than hoping to be a non/partially guaranteed minimum contract.

To become a 1st Round draft choice rather than hoping to be a non/partially guaranteed minimum contract.

He was a projected first rounder before he came here, now he is late second round. The trend would suggest staying another year is against his best interest.

That's why considering such things "trends" doesn't often work.

Why stay?

We’ve been over the arguments (on both sides) with many players over the years... While times have changed and the trend is seemingly to go, there are guys that stay.

Ayo is staying at Illinois. Cassius Winston is staying at Mich St. Tre Jones is staying at Duke. Markus Howard is staying at Marquette.

Players do stay. And for varying reasons.

I suspect we’ve seen the last of Hoard in a Wake Forest uniform, but it wouldn’t be shocking if he stayed for another year.

He was a projected first rounder before he came here, now he is late second round. The trend would suggest staying another year is against his best interest.

This. One could argue if he had played in Europe for a year, he’d still in a first rounder coming a year after Luka blew up.

This. One could argue if he had played in Europe for a year, he’d still in a first rounder coming a year after Luka blew up.

You could make that argument, but it seems like a bad one for a couple of reasons.

1- As the late RChildress107 opined earlier in the thread, less than 25% of players in Hoard’s recruiting ranking range are drafted after one year. We have no real evidence that Hoard was ever thought of as a first rounder... perhaps late first / early second. NBADraft.net was the outlier that produced this thread.

2- Luka has little to do with Hoard. There are a few Euros in the draft this year, but none with the game (or pre-NBA resume) of Luka. In terms of French players, Sekou is the potential lottery pick. The Euros after him are lower down and mostly bigs. None of them (including Luka) played multiple years of US AAU and high school hoops like Hoard.

I do agree with the broader point that his draft stock fell during over the course of the season. And that could be a reason to leave ASAP.

But that happens with a year of college ball... Some players move up and some move down.

We’ve been over the arguments (on both sides) with many players over the years... While times have changed and the trend is seemingly to go, there are guys that stay.

Ayo is staying at Illinois. Cassius Winston is staying at Mich St. Tre Jones is staying at Duke. Markus Howard is staying at Marquette.

Players do stay. And for varying reasons.

I suspect we’ve seen the last of Hoard in a Wake Forest uniform, but it wouldn’t be shocking if he stayed for another year.

I'd be shocked as hell if he comes back.

I'd be shocked as hell if he comes back.

I’d say 80/20 or maybe even 90/10... The only thing giving me pause is others returning to school and the fact that he might not get drafted at all.

I think if he knows (with a high likelihood) he’ll be drafted in either round, he’ll be gone.

I think the only way he’s allowed to return to school after the draft is if he is invited to the NBA Combine (mid-May) and still doesn’t get drafted.

I do agree with the broader point that his draft stock fell during over the course of the season. And that could be a reason to leave ASAP.

But that happens with a year of college ball... Some players move up and some move down.

Along these lines, you can't go lower than being undrafted. But he could play himself back into the first round by returning.

Back